discharging battery for storage
3199 9 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justjohn
New

Canada

I have a 3 spare batteries that are used for longer sessions but not normally used with my mavic.

In all my other RC's the lipo's were always stored discharged to about 30% in the fridge to prevent degradation.

I know the smart battery will automatically discharge depending on the setting. But does the battery have to be left on for this to happen? I notice I can turn the battery on with a double click even though it is not attached to the drone.
2017-5-25
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

I posted about this recently. Watch the video.
If you purchased the Fly More Combo there is an battery adapter you can attach to the battery to charge various USB devices. Any battery I do not use, gets discharged to 50% by using the adapter to charge my devices. Please do not store the Mavic batteries in the fridge. At the very least water condensation will form on the copper connectors and eventually cause poor connectivity and damage. Read the battery manual and watch this video.  It is chock full of good advice.  

IIRC there is also a chip in the battery that might be damged by condensation as well.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-96713-1-1.html
2017-5-25
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

I have 5 Mavic Batteries and if I only use 3, the other 2 discharge while they are powered off.  Discharge rates are set within the App when connected to the Mavic and your phone / tablet.
2017-5-25
Use props
justjohn
New

Canada

not storing them in the fridge flies against everything I've ever read about lipo storage and longevity. The cold temperature slows the chemical degradation.

I watched the video but it has some kind of weird and OCD points. He says never to charge a warm battery, yet there is specially a chip in this battery to stop charging above the hot threshold. Also setting your battery on the ground will get water in it? Who is tossing their battery into a mud puddle..

anyways I have set the app to discharge at 3 days but it's not working, the full batteries are now at 14 days and still fully charged. I'm not really sure how the microprocessor can monitor voltage and activate a discharge cycle without drawing phantom current that would run a battery down in a few days regardless. Any battery experts on here?
2017-5-27
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Every time you hit the button, the timer is reset. So, let it sit for four days without hitting the button and it should be down. I store all my big expensive LiPo's in the refrigerator.
2017-5-27
Use props
justjohn
New

Canada

thats the problem I left these for 2 weeks without touching them at all and they are still full.
2017-5-27
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use my USB charger from the fly more combo to top off charge the controller and my phone if I want to discharge the battery.  But I generally trust the smart discharge, I have it set to 3 days via the app for each battery and have had no issues.  Just make sure you don't press the battery button in-between times or the discharge timer is reset.
2017-5-28
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Why ask for feedback if you are just going to discount what people have to say?

How about this: Do whatever you want. What type of rebuttal can you have to that?
2017-5-28
Use props
djiuser_BIUdr5VE9rpJ
lvl.1

Canada

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me reviving this thread with a similar question, as it seems like people have different recommendations. I am a first time drone owner (Mavic Air 2), and looking into things I should be doing to properly maintain it, I stumbled upon the battery discharge recommendations for storage. I was hoping to get a definitive answer for what would be best to do for storing batteries that will not be used for a couple weeks (or more) at a time. Which of these would you recommend:

1) After using the batteries, charge them all fully, then use the USB-adapter to charge some devices, bringing the Mavic batteries down to around 50-65% charge, then store
2) Fully charge the Mavic batteries, then put them into storage, relying on the built in discharge mechanism (if this is the method you recommend, any number of days I should set the discharge mechanism to trigger at, if the default of 10 days isn't ideal [and to be honest, at time of writing, I'm not even sure if you can change this setting in the Fly App for the Mavic Air 2!])

Thanks!
2020-7-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_BIUdr5VE9rpJ Posted at 7-13 16:19
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me reviving this thread with a similar question, as it seems like people have different recommendations. I am a first time drone owner (Mavic Air 2), and looking into things I should be doing to properly maintain it, I stumbled upon the battery discharge recommendations for storage. I was hoping to get a definitive answer for what would be best to do for storing batteries that will not be used for a couple weeks (or more) at a time. Which of these would you recommend:

1) After using the batteries, charge them all fully, then use the USB-adapter to charge some devices, bringing the Mavic batteries down to around 50-65% charge, then store

Use Mehod 2. You do not have to set anything, just let the automatic battery's discharge take care of things, that's what it is provided for.
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules