Thrust Upgrade PropS 9450
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kazdul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Took the Phantom out for the first time with some new genuine 9450 props in reasonably good conditions, 5-7 mph wind speed and dry and upon decending a prop came into contact with a prop gaurd and the Phantom nearly came crashing down. It recovered after the prop gaurd was no longer flexing under the wind.
I landing it safely and upon inspection, one of the prop gaurds has been scuffed by one fo the props. I've never had this happen before as the stock props were the standard 8" ones from my FC40. I've now removed the prop gaurds so hopefully this won't happen again. Just thought I seek feedback and warn others of the possible cons to having prop gaurds.

2015-3-10
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

If you have the original prop guards for a Phantom 1 which had 8" props this would certainly happen.
You can use the new larger prop guards for the P2 where the 9.4 inch props were adapted.
If anyone is buying new prop guards they should definitely buy the new prop guards as you can run the 8 or 9.4 inch props.
The mounting holes are the same on P1 and P2
2015-3-10
Use props
kazdul
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joe@heliflightc Posted at 2015-3-10 23:00
If you have the original prop guards for a Phantom 1 which had 8" props this would certainly happen. ...

The prop guards I purchased were listed as P2 ones. The props have ok clearance, it was only an issue when I descended, at a gently pace may I add that it caught a guard.

Have to say, removed the guards and the Phantom seems a lot quieter and far more stable. I really like the new props.
2015-3-10
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

If you can fly well I would not recommend using the prop guards unless you are in a situation where clearances are tight.  They reduce prop efficiency and increase drag in flight.  I see them as a training aid and a safety feature when needed but not for routine flying in unobstructed areas.
2015-3-11
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joe@heliflightc Posted at 2015-3-11 23:55
If you can fly well I would not recommend using the prop guards unless you are in a situation where  ...

Yeah got to be honest, I can't see myself ever putting them back on again. Probably list them on easy at some point, might get a drink for them!
2015-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules