Exploring my new Mavic...everyone should do this!
1247 13 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Majestic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 541831 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys...new Mavic pilot here.
Just wanted to say that today I spent a good part of my day and almost an entire battery without even flying my Mavic.
If there are directions that advise to do this or someone else has already said it, I'm sorry.

Just excited at how much I was able to learn and soak in playing with different settings while having the aircraft sitting on a bench. I explored with and played with lots of gimbal settings and adjusted them to my preference. I learned a LOT about the different camera settings and the customer color modes. Got to play with a lot of them then reset and do it again. Played around with the various white balance modes. Explored the various custom button settings for C1 and C2. Probably a whole lot more than that too.

Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone the benefits of my bonding session with my Mavic that I've humbly named Kermit.

I highly recommend that any new owner do the same thing. The more you know...

I am really looking forward to my next flight to see how my new lessons will help me be a better pilot but also help me get better quality video.

Thanks!

Fred

2017-5-26
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Welcome to this forum Fred... I also spend a long time fiddeling arround the setting before the first flight...
2017-5-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I completely agree. It's so much better figuring this stuff our while you are on the ground rather than waiting time with it in the air. For me, every minute my Mavic is in the air is limited by someone or something (work, weather, girlfriend, batteries, etc) so if you have a rainy day definitely fire it up and try out the different camera settings!
2017-5-26
Use props
MavicMule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Nice advice.  Even though I've been flying quads for years of all sizes & shapes, the Mavic is like a flying computer in comparison.  I too spent many hours & atleast three charge cycles playing with camera & other setups.  When I finally took first flight, no issues what so ever, outside of me being cold.  This was 4 firmware updates ago, and still, no issues, fly aways, dropping out of sky , etc.  I'm currently on .700, right on edge of a NFZ, and still no issues.  Loving this bird!
2017-5-26
Use props
namja
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86112 ft
United States

I flew twice so far. I have no idea how to use 90% of the functions. I really should do what you did. Sit in the living room and play with the settings. Good call.

2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

I spent two days playing with it and reading the manual before my first flight.  Now 200 flights later.......I'm still learning.  Welcome and enjoy it man.
2017-5-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 12:29
I spent two days playing with it and reading the manual before my first flight.  Now 200 flights later.......I'm still learning.  Welcome and enjoy it man.

I'm the same way, 161 flights and over 1,700,000 feet of flying and still learning.  
2017-5-26
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Great advice for any Mavic or other drone user out there.  The Mavic is so sophisticated that too many people take the attitude of, "Why read the manual - this thing just flys itself."  And then wonder why they have problems a few flights in.

Thanks for the reminder to everyone!
2017-5-26
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
China

I saw this recommendation before in another thread but also is advisable to place a small fan in front of the Mavic to help with the airflow and cooling of the bird while sitting. Also try to use the simulator and do some flights with it, push to the limit there and see how far you can push before trying things in the real world.

Cheers!
2017-5-26
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

The learning never stops.
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-5-26 13:16
I'm the same way, 161 flights and over 1,700,000 feet of flying and still learning.

Now that is impressive lol.  Awesome stuff!  No hiccups over that flight time?  I haven't had one issue.  DJI builds a very well-made product.
2017-5-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Same here, first time I got the Mavic, I spent quite a lot of time in the simulator to understand the limitation. First flight was without any people around in a park. all went well
2017-5-26
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 18:22
Now that is impressive lol.  Awesome stuff!  No hiccups over that flight time?  I haven't had one issue.  DJI builds a very well-made product.

Well, it's a start. I'm at over 3 million feet with no issues, ever. Care refresh was a waste of money for me.
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-5-26 19:11
Well, it's a start. I'm at over 3 million feet with no issues, ever. Care refresh was a waste of money for me.

That's good to hear.  None here either.  I bought the refresh also but I don't mind.  99 bucks for peace of mind.    Never know what can happen but glad you are having such success.  
2017-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules