Phantom 4 pro left side blurry image at 2.8
3804 22 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

hello everybody, i have a problem with my phantom 4 pro. It seems that at lower aperture the left side of the image is out focus, as you can see from the attached image....this problem dissaper when i increase the aperture to 5.6 and over....is it a common problem or is my phantom 4 pro faulty?

test image 2.8 blurry
2017-5-26
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I would say that it is a problem in the lens system. Something is not aligned right.. The reason it sharpens up when you increase the aperture is because as you stop down, it allows for a deeper field of view and compensates for the lens defect/misalignment.
2017-5-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, you only see this when it's lower than 5.6, correct? Do you happen to have another sample at a different lighting? Is this right out of the box, or was this after a firmware update or hard landing?
2017-5-26
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
Flight distance : 781624 ft
United Kingdom

In the dslr world f2.8 is a shallow depth of field and the corners tend to be softer than the centre. I ve shot  landscape photography for over a decade. I always have lens set to f8 or higher to maximise depth of field. Personally I would consider this normal. Although dji add a fair amount of sharpening
2017-5-26
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

I have updated my phantom but the problem existed before updating and after updating too. No hard landing, no collision, nothing. I think it's a hardware issue because it's too out of focus.
2017-5-26
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-26 14:10
Just to clarify, you only see this when it's lower than 5.6, correct? Do you happen to have another sample at a different lighting? Is this right out of the box, or was this after a firmware update or hard landing?

Yes jamie, only when it's lower than 5.6. I'll try to post some other images with different light condition
2017-5-26
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-26 14:10

different light condition, same problem....in this pic less evident because the shutter was at 240, while in the other was at 50...
test daylight 2.8

i have also made a test with f at 5.0 and the blurry disappeared  

daylight at f 5.0
2017-5-27
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Also the fact it goes away when u stop down the lens. Would suggest it's normal. If I had a p4p I'd fly constantly at f8-11
2017-5-27
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Best way to test a lens, is to take a photo of a brick wall. Quite quickly you'll see where the lens is soft. If all the corners have the same softness then it's normal. Bare in mind that your not not gonna get dslr / medium format quality on that sensor and lens size
2017-5-27
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

Max App Posted at 2017-5-27 07:15
Also the fact it goes away when u stop down the lens. Would suggest it's normal. If I had a p4p I'd fly constantly at f8-11

if you take a look at other p4p videos you will see no one has an out of focus like mine at 2.8
2017-5-29
Use props
bencestumpf
New

Hungary

Hi! I have the same problem... Could you fix it somehow?
2017-8-1
Use props
gary.lovelock.m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 463625 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi, I have this issue too. I have had a number of different Phantom's and never had this issue before. Did you find a solution? Thank you. Gary
2017-10-25
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

It’s a firmware issue....i have reported this a thousand times!..it also happens with dng raw photos and not with jpegs. Try shooting video at 1929x1089 and you will see how degraded is the inage quality.
2017-10-25
Use props
OuraybyFlight
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1692195 ft
  • >>>
United States

Superbaso Posted at 2017-5-29 00:26
if you take a look at other p4p videos you will see no one has an out of focus like mine at 2.8

Did you ever get any resolution with this problem? Or do you just not use f2.8 anymore?
2018-10-3
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I have the same issue.  Any answers.  I am sure it's a mechanical alignment issue.

--Jim
2019-6-4
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi

You have a shallow depth of field, so the buildings on the right are in focus, objects further away will not be(ie on the left), using your 2.8 setting.

If however you have set your aperture to F11 or F15 etc, you would have more of the complete imagine in focus.

Read up about F stops, the attached visually explains.

From
https://lifehacker.com/how-apert ... tures-sh-1699204484

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 12.33.52.png
2019-6-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jim Watkins Posted at 6-4 13:40
I have the same issue.  Any answers.  I am sure it's a mechanical alignment issue.

--Jim

See below, try manual settings(that's if your currently on automatic)
2019-6-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cinefilms Posted at 2017-10-25 19:48
It’s a firmware issue....i have reported this a thousand times!..it also happens with dng raw photos and not with jpegs. Try shooting video at 1929x1089 and you will see how degraded is the inage quality.

Try manual settings and play around with F stops.

Remember whilst you might get everything in focus at F15 or whatever, the smaller aperture means less light, so you may have to up the ISO(potentially more noise) or decrease the shutter speed(could get blurry pics).

Read up on it, but the diagram I uploaded gives you a good idea.
2019-6-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gary.lovelock.m Posted at 2017-10-25 11:09
Hi, I have this issue too. I have had a number of different Phantom's and never had this issue before. Did you find a solution? Thank you. Gary

See various replies below.

Ok there is a chance that one of you or all of you have faulty machines, however I suspect its your settings.

Try manual settings.....
2019-6-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

bencestumpf Posted at 2017-8-1 01:39
Hi! I have the same problem... Could you fix it somehow?

Hi see below various replies I have added.
2019-6-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Superbaso Posted at 2017-5-29 00:26
if you take a look at other p4p videos you will see no one has an out of focus like mine at 2.8

see various replies below, basically say at F2.8 the immediate thing you focused on will be in focus, however other objects will not be further away.

Of course if you then move the drone, you could end up with nothing in focus, so as the other chap said, try manual settings or upping your F stop to F11 or what ever the highest one is and take some test shots.

If you are pretty close to something you won't really see it at F2.8, all in focus pretty much. But say if you were taking pictures of a city(big landscape) you ideally want every building in focus, try F11 or higher(whatever you have) and focus say a third to half way into the landscape.

See how you get on.
2019-6-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

f/2.8.. I can't change the settings w/ the Spark and Zoom so I never tried but on the Phantom, I think you can adjust the aperture.  I'm always on Auto mode.  Maybe I should force it to f/2.8 and see too.  It autos at 5.6 or 6.3.

Can you have f/2.8 and AF something on the left side, take a picture and see if it corrected the left side problem?
2019-6-6
Use props
Sami Ullah
New

Pakistan

Hi brother did u find any solution ?
2021-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules