DJI Goggle Screen Focus Issues
21586 67 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans25f51064
New
Netherlands

I don't wear or need glasses for normal reading. But it's ouright ridiculous that focus is not adjustable. This is a MAJOR flaw in the design. I had to put +2 reading glasses inside the Goggles where I never use glasses
2017-12-21
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Could be the cost of having such a good FOV? Most other goggles like Fatsharks are at long distance focus, but they only give you that teeny tiny crappy little screen not much better than an iPhone on your lap, may as well be out of focus. That said, maybe it can be done with good optics in a future version of the goggles.
But the huge FOV of the DJI goggles is more than worth it even with the nasty hack of reading glasses. That said, I'm farsighted and am up to +3.25 diopter glasses which is really close. I have some +3.50 and +3.75 diopters on the way from Amazon, which will hopefully put me spot on.

I agree tho, DJI should come up with a way to accomodate a longer focal length for us guys who are farsighted....
2017-12-21
Use props
fans25f51064
New
Netherlands

I am very dissapointed in DJI. I normally don't wear glasses I don''t need them. Can still read a book without. I needed to put +2 lenses in the DJI goggles with tape in order to have an image that is fairly good
I tried +0.5, +1. +1.5 and +2 None of them gave an image that is in focus on the whole screen but with +2 I get the best results. Because I am 55 years old an have good eyesight at my age is not common, I asked my son (19 years old) to put them on. He can use the goggles without glasses but...... when I put in lenses +1 he said the image improved significantly.
It's a SHAME that for this amount of money there is no adjustable focus.
2017-12-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had to get a cheap pair of prescription reading glasses from Optician, reading distance set for 9 inches if I remember correctly, and they work well for me.
2017-12-21
Use props
Carbonhead
New
Flight distance : 120709 ft
United States

I have the very same issue. With my glasses, and without. So far, the only help has been to pull them slightly away from my face. I already get a poor light seal as it is, now thats totally blown as well. Not happy for the price!
2018-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jdjeff Posted at 2017-12-6 10:21
I wear contacts and these goggles are not in focus.  The guy who makes the focus fixers says orders won't even process for a month (into Jan 2018).  Assuming that I always wear my contacts, I guess I would look for a corrective lens with my contacts in?  If I take them out, I'm blind.  This is pretty effed up if you only have glasses.  Line of site flying means you need to fumble for your glasses.  All this safety crap that DJI shoves down our throat and they missed this?

"Line of site flying means you need to fumble for your glasses. "

Line of sight shouldn't be a problem, if your using goggles your spotter will keep an eye out for approaching objects.
2018-1-6
Use props
jdjeff
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-1-6 08:32
"Line of site flying means you need to fumble for your glasses. "

Line of sight shouldn't be a problem, if your using goggles your spotter will keep an eye out for approaching objects.

That sounds like a pretty good excuse. Awesome.
2018-1-9
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43 ft
Australia

It turns appears that the lens power of the Goggles Is 10 diopters. The distance from the lens to the LCD screen is approximately 7.5 cm. A simple calculation shows that a person with normal vision will see the DGI Goggles screen at a virtual distance of only 30cm. For most people this is much too close for comfort. Most people will want to view the screen at a much greater distance than this, usually at least a meter or so, particularly if they want to raise the goggles to view their drone without having to adjust focus by removing glasses etc. or watch movies through the goggles with the same comfort as watching a TV or theatre screen. The strength of the DJI Goggles lens required to achieve a virtual distance to the screen of 1 meter can easily be calculated. The calculation gives a revised lens power of 12.33 diopters for the DJI Goggles lenses.  This means that an INCREASE in lens power is required by the DJI Goggles of AT LEAST 2.33 diopters. This is in complete agreement with what has been found by many other users by trial and error.
For many people the preferred virtual distance to the screen whilst the drone is in flight is INFINITY, as this is where the eye would be focused from the camera perspective. In this case the calculation gives a revised lens power of 13.33 diopters, an increase of 3.33 diopters!  This appears to be a design fault and oversight on behalf of DJI and I would suggest that DJI should supply a free replacement and refit of the lenses with a more acceptable power of at least 12.5 diopters.
2018-1-13
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.2
Australia

Can someone tell me why DJI is selling corrective lenses for their Goggles to remedy their own design fault when they should be supplying them for free?
2018-1-14
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.2
Australia

The DJI Goggles screen is focused at less than 12 inches!  Unfortunately this is fixed, so for most people a pair of corrective lenses is required.  DJI have made a big error in this design. Who would normally view a TV screen at a distance of less than 12 inches?  Only a person with a considerable degree of short sightedness. Unfortunately this appears to be what The DJI Goggles designers iare suffering with.
2018-1-15
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.2
Australia

The DJI Goggles have a fixed focus requiring the user to focus at less than 12 inches,
2018-1-15
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.2
Australia

The DJI Goggles have a fixed focus requiring the user to focus at less than 12 inches!  Nobody watches TV at that distance. Stupid design fault.
2018-1-15
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

fans0f9f25fa Posted at 2018-1-14 00:15
Can someone tell me why DJI is selling corrective lenses for their Goggles to remedy their own design fault when they should be supplying them for free?

I noticed that also but they are not available in the USA or some reason??
2018-1-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans0f9f25fa Posted at 2018-1-15 00:57
The DJI Goggles have a fixed focus requiring the user to focus at less than 12 inches!  Nobody watches TV at that distance. Stupid design fault.

I believe the focal distance is about nine inches. But how big do you want the goggles to be ?

My understanding is that if you have no visual defects then the image should be clear. I need glasses now for reading and distance. I got a pair of reading glasses made up that work well for me with the goggles. And as my eyes are slightly different the prescription method is probably the best choice.
2018-1-17
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

Not available in the US....why?
https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-corrective-lenses
2018-1-18
Use props
Doc Pat
lvl.2
Australia

48#
For all those people having focus problems with their DJI Goggles, I re-measured the distance from the lens to the LCD screen and it is 7 cm. This means the DGI Goggles screen is at a virtual distance of 23cm or 9 inches. If you can focus your eyes on this distance then the screen should be clear. If you need readers at this distance then you will also need them for the goggles. The problem is when you want to lift the goggles to view the drone. In this case you will have to remove your readers also. Ideally the goggles should have adjustable focus to suit all, but a simpler solution would be if DJI would increase the  strength of the DJI Goggles lens from 10 diopters to 12.5 diopters. This means that an INCREASE in lens power is required by the DJI Goggles of 2.5 diopters. This would be a small change with negligible affect on the weight or cost of the goggles. With this power the DGI Goggles screen would be at a virtual distance of 56 cm or 22 inches and most people would not need their readers or have to add corrective lenses to their DJI goggles. If DJI feels they have no obligation to recall or exchange the goggles with the original underpowered 10 diopters lenses, then they could at least make available a kit of 12.5 diopters lenses as a free upgrade to all those affected. It would then be a simple matter for anyone with an once of DIY sense to remove a few screws and replace the lenses themselves and the problem would be solved.
2018-1-19
Use props
Doc Pat
lvl.2
Australia

It appears that, instead of correcting the focus problem for free, DJI is actually capitalising on this design fault by selling corrective lenses through their DJI Store for the excessive sum of $49 AUS !!  Is this the real reason DJI is not admitting to this design fault? If so then this is a very bad and dishonest way to do business.

A third party company is also selling corrective lenses for the DJI Goggles and they state that the user has to be able to see clearly at nine (9) inches, otherwise corrective lenses are required. This is a direct confirmation by an independent third party that the DJI Goggles have a basic design fault due to under-strength lenses.
2018-1-22
Use props
fans707c1fe7
New
United States

I bought the 5.0 "focus-fixers" and it made my totally useless DJI goggles work great...  I'm 72, so the eyes aren't what they used to be...
2018-2-14
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2017-8-2 07:16
Amimon Connex connected to the goggles via HDMI cable. With that setup I can say "What lag"

hi

do you have a link that sells that connex device?

Thanks
2018-2-14
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans707c1fe7 Posted at 2018-2-14 18:29
I bought the 5.0 "focus-fixers" and it made my totally useless DJI goggles work great...  I'm 72, so the eyes aren't what they used to be...

Post 39
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=110005
2018-2-14
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

drone_user Posted at 2018-2-14 22:31
hi

do you have a link that sells that connex device?

Prosite

You can also look into the R/C suppliers. The link supplied shows out of stock but at least you can see what is being mentioned
2018-2-15
Use props
fans121cd252
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4694724 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the answer to our problems. There is a company called Focus Fixers.
Fixers and they make an implant to the goggles that snap right in place.
2018-2-20
Use props
fans121cd252
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4694724 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aaronmke Posted at 2017-5-27 18:45
Are you wearing your glasses

There is a company called FocusFixers.
They make a lens that snaps into place inside the goggles and you can put different prescriptions inside for your eyes requirements.
2018-2-20
Use props
jifffypop
New
Flight distance : 99961 ft
Canada

Hi, everyone ! just bought the goggles, just let say I am very disappointed that there is no focus wheel.
I saw all the solutions and I undertand it is very easy to put together something or even buy the lenses from DJI.
I just bought the googles at full price here in Canada at best buy for almost 750$ and now I would buy the lenses at DJI
or spent some time putting together something.......No way ! I guess my expextations were too high.
Dont get me wrong, I love my Mavic pro, but now spending too much time on something that should be plug & play.

Sorry I am going to return it.
My to cents !
2018-4-9
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Aaronmke Posted at 2017-5-28 16:32
I ordered my goggles on the second pre-round order so I haven't got them yet I'm 52 I need reading glasses so I'm hoping I'm not going to have the same kind of problems does it make them unusable or just a little bit of an annoyance

I'm in the same boat you are but i'm 3 years older. I ordered the dji focus lenses from their store. I ordered the 2.5 magnification and they are perfect. I normally can get away with 1.5 on my readers, but I ordered 2.5 or these goggles. Works GREAT!
2018-4-11
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft

I ended up buying Focus fixers before DJI came out with their corrective lenses the focus fixer seem to work fine takes care of the problem.
2018-4-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

The focus fixers fit better imho...the DJI ones, while ok, do fog up quicker and they don’t fit on your face as well....I have both....
2018-4-12
Use props
fans5ef06c16
New

United States

You all people might be very wrong about  the focus. I emphasize word MIGHT.
I have had the same problem with focus and I wear +1.5 glasses. I was almost sure the problem is with my vision until I went once with the friend to fly. He had his googles and I compared mine with his. The difference was about 10-20%.  Another words his googles have much better focus and I had no problem seeing anything and everything was nice and sharp.  This was 1st generation googles and we have identical models.

I can definitely say this is a googles problem - NOT MY VISION. I also connected his googles to my Mavic and the picture was as expected (so no Mavic problem).

Yesterday I opened the googles to see inside but after removing the plastic cover (from the face side) there is nothing inside that I can adjust and I do not want to disassemble more (for obvious reasons).

I purchased a lomon and I can only say DJI quality sucks.

Before you do anything go and compare you googles with another one and see if there is a difference.
I am very disapointed with DJI quality. Most likely this was my last product from this company :-(
2020-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules