Echo Sounder for Drones?
3991 7 2017-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Desert Drone Pi
lvl.3

United Arab Emirates

Good day all,

From a commercial point of operation does anyone have any information or experience regarding using drones for a bathymetric survey?

The idea I have in mind is to attach a device such as an echo sounder to the UAV and then gather the data – depth and terrain of the underwater floor.

I have been searching on other forums it does appear to be a concept that many people want to implement but is still in early stages.

I do understand that the traditional methods of doing such survey is a more simpler way of gathering data.

Any thoughts or pointers much appreacited!

2017-5-28
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

As far as I'm aware, the transducer of an echo sounder needs to be touching or below the surface of the water. I can't help feeling a boat would be better suited to the job?
Am I missing something here?

Mark G.
2017-5-28
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

UAV isn't a great option for a bathymetric platform. Very difficult to keep the transducer at a consistent level from above the water.
As mentioned above, a USV (Unmanned Surface Vessel) is a much better option.

http://www.oceanalpha.com/
2017-5-28
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-5-28 02:17
As far as I'm aware, the transducer of an echo sounder needs to be touching or below the surface of the water. I can't help feeling a boat would be better suited to the job?
Am I missing something here?

Yes, that was confirmed by the team of professional surveyors mapping the bottom of Arrow Lake last summer for BC Hydro company. I saw them scanning the lake with boat back and forth, they saw me flying my Inspire nearby. Needless to say they visited my houseboat to chat about the drone, I learned a bit about their technology in exchange. It's a very complex procedure involving powerful computer, satellite communication, some equipment installed on solid ground in proximity, and some on slowly moving boat. They've been on this job for months.
2017-5-28
Use props
Rbeca
New

Spain

I found this information about the SuperBathy, which is an automatic catamaran drone that has dual air or aquatic propulsion technology. It can be used for 10 hours and its design allows you to send a LiDAR system to scan banks and bridges. In addition to underwater topography, it also opens you up to the world of water analysis and underwater imaging.  They are now equipped with twin engines that allow you to work in any type of conditions.
2019-2-13
Use props
Rbeca
New

Spain

I found this information about the SuperBathy, which is an automatic catamaran drone that has dual air or aquatic propulsion technology. It can be used for 10 hours and its design allows you to send a LiDAR system to scan banks and bridges. In addition to underwater topography, it also opens you up to the world of water analysis and underwater imaging.  They are now equipped with twin engines that allow you to work in any type of conditions.
2019-2-13
Use props
Rbeca
New

Spain

Encontré esta información sobre la SuperBathy, que es un dron catamarán automático que tiene doble tecnología de propulsión acuática o aérea. Puede utilizarse durante 10 horas y su diseño le permite enviar un sistema LiDAR para escanear bancos y puentes. Además de la topografía subacuática, también te abre al mundo del análisis del agua y las imágenes subacuáticas. Ahora están equipados con motores gemelos que le permiten trabajar en cualquier tipo de condiciones.
2019-2-13
Use props
Lotech123
New

United Kingdom

Simrad have successfully developed a transducer held and placed by drone, with raw data transmitted back for real time processing. There is some info on their Facebook page. However, given the very professional level of Simrad products, I suspect it will also be a very ‘professional’ price as well.
2019-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules