5832 17 2017-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RileySmelley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1035020 ft
United States

Hello Pilots,

I have been really curious lately how far I could be from the Mavic for taking off. I'm well aware the range is around 4.3 miles away. Does that mean I can set the Mavic down walk 2 miles and then take it off? I know I will have to account for a good path for the signal to reach the drone, but hypothetically it should work in the best conditions. Right?

I often hear pilots losing their Mavic in the water or not having enough battery on the way back etc. So I was thinking of piloting the drone where you want to go not from the starting line if you know what I mean. You could go farther if you put yourself where the drone is going.

It is possible, right?

Has anyone tried?

Am I forgetting some obvious dilemma that would prevent this?

Would love some responses!

{:4_157:}{:4_173:}
(sorry these emojis are pretty cool)

2017-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Well if you turn it on and then walk two miles away your battery will run out on the ground, if you have somebody turn it on when you walk the two miles it should work, you will need to be clear what you want to happen if you loose signal with your aircraft if it gets to almost two miles and you loose signal it would be tight to get back where it took off from.
2017-5-28
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Well technically it can be done.
As one guy did it the other way around.
He just flown it from a mountain and guided it to his terrace.

2017-5-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Yes, it'll work.

I will have to account for a good path for the signal to reach the drone

Yes, that's the key: as long as your remote and drone can stay connected, you can take off and land regardless of the distance between them.
2017-5-28
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

good question.......
2017-5-28
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-28 11:26
Well if you turn it on and then walk two miles away your battery will run out on the ground, if you have somebody turn it on when you walk the two miles it should work, you will need to be clear what you want to happen if you loose signal with your aircraft if it gets to almost two miles and you loose signal it would be tight to get back where it took off from.

I have read and watched a lot of people give their advice on how to fly drones safely and efficiently. But I never heard of the pilot strategically positioning himself so the mavic has to do less work.

Like if your going north why not operate the drone a bit north from the take off point. that way you don't need as much battery and you can be able to react way quicker if something were to go wrong.

That makes since right?
2017-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

RileySmelley Posted at 2017-5-28 22:22
I have read and watched a lot of people give their advice on how to fly drones safely and efficiently. But I never heard of the pilot strategically positioning himself so the mavic has to do less work.

Like if your going north why not operate the drone a bit north from the take off point. that way you don't need as much battery and you can be able to react way quicker if something were to go wrong.

For me I would buy extra battery, but why don't you run trials like maybe 300 m and 500 m, let us you know how you get on.
2017-5-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It can be done, but 4 miles away? No. You could set it on a friends lawn then drive a few thousand feet away then take of but the mavic needs to be high in the air to get any where near the advertised range.
2017-5-29
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-29 02:02
It can be done, but 4 miles away? No. You could set it on a friends lawn then drive a few thousand feet away then take of but the mavic needs to be high in the air to get any where near the advertised range.

My thoughts exactly. Also, not sure what is gained from doing this (apart from it being a theoretical question). There's also the LOS issue, how can you be sure no kid is messing with your Mavic when you try to take off.....apart from leaving a $1000 drone unattended!!
2017-5-29
Use props
way wrong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 351631 ft
Estonia

If you use long distance binoculars or scope then you still have line of sight
2017-5-29
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Do not do that, It is illegal in the USA, you need to flight at least in sight. 2  miles is also huge.
2017-5-29
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
United Kingdom

way wrong Posted at 2017-5-29 04:41
If you use long distance binoculars or scope then you still have line of sight

Trees and buildings? I suppose you could possibly get a view of the ne'er-do-well making off with your Mavic!
2017-5-29
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
United States

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-29 02:21
My thoughts exactly. Also, not sure what is gained from doing this (apart from it being a theoretical question). There's also the LOS issue, how can you be sure no kid is messing with your Mavic when you try to take off.....apart from leaving a $1000 drone unattended!!

Let's say you want to follow a train on a long shot. You're out in the country and you have a friend at the take off site.
You position yourself about a mile down the track.

Once the drone goes up in the air you can follow the train for a mile before passing you.
Now at this point, you can fly the drone even further than you would be able to if you were standing at the take off position. because now you don't have to fly a mile back just to save your Mavic.

I know this is a hypothetical, but given the right circumstances and everything works out. it could be a smart move to get the perfect shot or something of that nature.

don't you agree?
2017-5-29
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-29 02:02

my previous comment was for you to lol :  )
2017-5-29
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RileySmelley Posted at 2017-5-29 06:38
Let's say you want to follow a train on a long shot. You're out in the country and you have a friend at the take off site.
You position yourself about a mile down the track.

I can see the theoretical possibilities, but finding it hard to see this ever being a possibility in real life. For example I live near a railway line and we often get steam trains coming through. Whilst I would be happy to put the Mavic up and get some shots of the train I definitely wouldn't be happy to leave it in my garden, walk a mile down the line (as someone else said - battery?) and then take off to follow the train. Most other scenarios I can think of would require leaving a 'live' Mavic in a public place (probably deserted, but who knows) whilst you walk/drive away from it! Each to his own I suppose, but this isn't for me!
2017-5-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-29 06:54
I can see the theoretical possibilities, but finding it hard to see this ever being a possibility in real life. For example I live near a railway line and we often get steam trains coming through. Whilst I would be happy to put the Mavic up and get some shots of the train I definitely wouldn't be happy to leave it in my garden, walk a mile down the line (as someone else said - battery?) and then take off to follow the train. Most other scenarios I can think of would require leaving a 'live' Mavic in a public place (probably deserted, but who knows) whilst you walk/drive away from it! Each to his own I suppose, but this isn't for me!

This is so simple, it is silly.  I did similar when I was up in a cherry picker and my wife was on the ground on the other side of the house.  She knew how to power it up and down and I told her when to do it.  She started it, I flew it to where I was working, and then landed it again, where she shut it off.  Same thing.  Have a friend start it for you (phone or radio) and then fly it to you.
2017-5-29
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-29 14:05
This is so simple, it is silly.  I did similar when I was up in a cherry picker and my wife was on the ground on the other side of the house.  She knew how to power it up and down and I told her when to do it.  She started it, I flew it to where I was working, and then landed it again, where she shut it off.  Same thing.  Have a friend start it for you (phone or radio) and then fly it to you.

Thanks for sharing. lol

I didn't know how many people would just turn down this idea like its the worst idea ever.
I didn't think anyone would argue if we should do this or not because I thought everyone would see the beneficial possibilities.
2017-5-29
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-29 14:05

Thanks for sharing. lol

I didn't know how many people would just turn down this idea like its the worst idea ever.
I didn't think anyone would argue if we should do this or not because I thought everyone would see the beneficial possibilities.
2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules