Gimbal lost freedom of movement
1185 9 2015-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

Took the Phantom2 V+ v.3 out for a video today and realized later that the horizon was behaving badly, that is the gimbal wasn't keeping level as the craft rolled. I checked the forum's help files and saw that I should calibrate the gimbal with the Phantom2  3.8 desktop software.
Here's a screen shot of the Gimbal config.  How best to configure it? and will that fix the halting (non smooth) operation of the gimbal when I tilte it gently by hand. It starts to remain level, but seems to 'catch' then keeps moving. Same thing on the opposite roll.
Thanks (again!) for any help.
---> FPV Mode is/was NOT checked, not sure why it is in this screen shot.

.jpg

.jpg
2015-3-10
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

I lost my tilt feature on my Phantom Vision 2 normal - its stuck in whatever position I program as the start point.  Also lost battery status along with Speed, Alt and Distance readings...

Why did I update a perfectly flying PV2?

Brian
2015-3-10
Use props
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-3-11 08:31
I lost my tilt feature on my Phantom Vision 2 normal - its stuck in whatever position I program as t ...

Uh-oh, that doesn't sound hopeful. As far as I can see I still have the FPV readouts of distance, speed, battery level. It's just the gimbal that needs some.... something.
2015-3-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

murigius2012@me Posted at 2015-3-11 08:46
Uh-oh, that doesn't sound hopeful. As far as I can see I still have the FPV readouts of distance,  ...

Try and do an advanced calibration of your IMU on a level surface.  That may help.  It is possible one of the sensors got a little off.  The other issue that you mentioned that the gimbal was not smooth.  Is that under power or without?
2015-3-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-3-11 08:31
I lost my tilt feature on my Phantom Vision 2 normal - its stuck in whatever position I program as t ...

Brian,  What version of the firmware are you on?  Are you seeing any warnings in the lower right hand corner of the Assistant.  Have you calibrated the Tx in RC Assistant and checked for updates?  Do you have any screen shots or video of what is happening?  If so please post here and do not start a new thread.
2015-3-10
Use props
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-11 08:52
Try and do an advanced calibration of your IMU on a level surface.  That may help.  It is possible  ...

Thanks for the reply, Tahoe_Ed.
I did an IMU calibration, but not the advanced one I think. I'll try that.
The unsmooth operation of the gimbal was both with and w/o power. It seemed to 'catch' and then recover.

I actually got through to DJI with my query, but it was too close to quitting time for the guy there to be very helpful. I've found that some are very helpful and some aren't.
2015-3-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

murigius2012@me Posted at 2015-3-11 11:22
Thanks for the reply, Tahoe_Ed.
I did an IMU calibration, but not the advanced one I think. I'll t ...

Have you flown in areas where there have been a lot of dust and dirt that the gimbal might have become contaminated?   Have you had any hard landings?  You can try to blow out the servo motors with compressed air.  I would not take the unit apart or do any invasive procedures.  If the calibration does not solve the problem, my advice is go get a RMA and send it in to have a tech look at the gimbal.
2015-3-10
Use props
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-11 12:04
Have you flown in areas where there have been a lot of dust and dirt that the gimbal might have be ...

Thanks Ed. I've only flown it 3 times. It might have picked up some dust...
Where are the servos? I'll give them an air blow.
2015-3-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

They are the motors that drive the gimbal.  The silver cans on the tilt and roll axis.  Do not remove the cover.
2015-3-10
Use props
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-11 12:35
They are the motors that drive the gimbal.  The silver cans on the tilt and roll axis.  Do not remov ...

Thanks, Ed.
I'm a new Phantom pilot. Only 3 flight so far and I've never had so much tweaking to do to get the craft to do what it's supposed to do. Previously I had a Blade 350QX3 AP version and it was effortless, except when parts  began falling off. The Phantom is much better built, but sure has a hell of a lot of problems. All I want to do is take some aerial video. I spend hours studying and tweaking for a few minutes of flying. I'm beginning to lose patience with this quad.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules