Camera sharpness
921 9 2017-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Been disappointed with the sharpness of the camera ever since I bought it but never got round to really accurately checking it out but as it's getting near the end of the warranty, thought I ought to just test things but I might be expecting too much!

I did an exact comparison with my 3mp Olympus camera placing both on a firm level surface and pointing at a house number about 40 metres away....................  comparing the 2 shots, the Phantom was marginally sharper though very difficult to really see any difference and I could only detect it if I really blew the pictures up so you could see the pixels.  I would have thought that being 12mp,there should be a vast improvement in the picture quality? Is this a fair assumption?

I can have a go at posting a couple of pictures if I can work out how to do it!!

2017-5-29
Use props
cprevost
lvl.1

United States

Megapixels won't have much to do with sharpness.  Oly put good glass even on the consumer level cameras. Not surprised the image from the Oly is sharper.  You can post a picture if you want feedback to see if it's in the normal range though.
2017-5-31
Use props
poltergeist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 173409 ft
United States

Very high megapixel cameras are also less forgiving. more pixels means a steadier platform is required. This should really be an issue for our drones, but there is a limit. Quality of sensors and glass is more important. Post a couple and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.
2017-6-1
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

poltergeist Posted at 2017-6-1 06:25
Very high megapixel cameras are also less forgiving. more pixels means a steadier platform is required. This should really be an issue for our drones, but there is a limit. Quality of sensors and glass is more important. Post a couple and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

Many thanks for the replies....................  I'll have a go at posting a couple of pictures.  Is there a "best" way of posting pictures to get the most detail?
2017-6-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Are the images RAW or Jpeg?

There will be sharpening applied to processed Jpeg images but the RAW data should show as taken.
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It would be recommended to provide the original pictures, so uploading to a file sharing site like Dropbox would work. You would just post the link here.
2017-6-1
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Well here's a few photos....... if it works that is!

What do people think?   

Sorry...... hasn't quite worked as I intended..............  should have been  links to the photos in "photobucket"................ I'll get the hang of this eventually!!... hopefully

Trying this!
2017-6-3
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Anyone??   What do people reckon?      Many thanks
2017-6-5
Use props
cprevost
lvl.1

United States

These seem OK. A bit hard to tell because they aren't full size images but likely they are just fine. The camera in these units is OK but now great.
2017-6-5
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I might be just expecting too much to be honest................... in my ignorance I guess, I imagined a 12mp camera would be 4 times sharper than a 3mp one!!
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules