Safe to mount a magnet near the controller?
5629 17 2017-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

I have an Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone, and would like to keep it in the case when using the controller. So I'm thinking I could build a custom mount that would fit into the controller's arms like a phone. I would like to glue a flat sheet magnet to this mount, and put another one the back of the phone case. Then the magnets would hold the phone w/case to the mount. But I need to know if having a magnet so close to the controller would cause any problems.
I know that the drone itself has compasses, so I'd have to be careful not to get the drone too close to the controller when doing a compass calibration.

2017-5-29
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

The way the sticks work would prevent you from using any magnets near the remote. The remote reads stick imput by magnetic sensors so any magnetism around it would mess things up
2017-5-29
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

Not a good idea. I've read that the sticks use a magnetic effect that can be interfered with by external magnets, and you don't want that!
2017-5-29
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to find some other way to stick the phone case to the mount. Maybe velcro...

2017-5-29
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How thick is the phone case? You can always remove the rubber mounts to accommodate for thicker phones/cases.You just need a torx screw driver remove 4 screws.
2017-5-29
Use props
djiuser_kgiNxXK
New
Flight distance : 239915 ft
United States

Hey guys I just wanted to share my experience with a magnetic mount for the dji controller.I purchased the Kuuqa aluminum-alloy foldable tablet stand for the controller and also a wizgear universal stick on dashboard magnetic car mount that has a ball joint. I replaced the tablet holder with the magnet ball joint and stuck a magnetic plate onto my nexus 7. That's it.I made sure that when I fired up the controller and tablet entered in the controller calibration and found there was no interference with the controller sticks. I then tried to see if it does interfere with the sticks by unmounting the magnet and moving it directly over the sides of the sticks and it interferes just a little. But no interference when mounted correctly into the holder. If you want to see pictures I can send it later today.
2017-10-6
Use props
djiuser_kgiNxXK
New
United States

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience with a magnetic mount for the dji controller.I purchased the Kuuqa aluminum-alloy foldable tablet stand for the controller and also a wizgear universal stick on dashboard magnetic car mount that has a ball joint. I replaced the tablet holder with the magnet ball joint and stuck a magnetic plate onto my nexus 7. That's it.I made sure that when I fired up the controller and tablet entered in the controller calibration and found there was no interference with the controller sticks. I then tried to see if it DOES interfere with the sticks by unmounting the magnet and moving it directly over the sides of the sticks and it interferes just a little. But no interference when mounted correctly into the holder. If you want to see pictures let me know
2017-10-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-29 12:32
Not a good idea. I've read that the sticks use a magnetic effect that can be interfered with by external magnets, and you don't want that!

Thanks. Good advice!
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Be mindful that magnetic interference can be real. Also, there is always the case of voiding the warranty.
2017-10-6
Use props
djiuser_kgiNxXK
New
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-6 12:06
Be mindful that magnetic interference can be real. Also, there is always the case of voiding the warranty.

I agree, Thank you for that input. I figure i wanted to share my experience. My situation is very similar to having to use a ipad mini. (Magnets along the left side of the tablet) and it does interfere with the controller sticks when installed on the remote with the button to the left . Will DJI start voiding peoples warranty for having the tablet magnets close to the controller sticks?
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_kgiNxXK Posted at 2017-10-6 12:21
I agree, Thank you for that input. I figure i wanted to share my experience. My situation is very similar to having to use a ipad mini. (Magnets along the left side of the tablet) and it does interfere with the controller sticks when installed on the remote with the button to the left . Will DJI start voiding peoples warranty for having the tablet magnets close to the controller sticks?

Yes because it can be considered an alteration. Also, it is not how it's designed to work. Remember, anyone can do anything they want to with their aircraft. However, the warranty can be specific.
2017-10-6
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-5-29 15:50
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to find some other way to stick the phone case to the mount. Maybe velcro...

I use these for everything like that... Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners
2017-10-6
Use props
djiuser_kgiNxXK
New
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-6 12:24
Yes because it can be considered an alteration. Also, it is not how it's designed to work. Remember, anyone can do anything they want to with their aircraft. However, the warranty can be specific.

Thank you for the heads up! if i run into issues with my particular setup then ill update this forum. So far Flying my drone has been enjoyable.
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

djiuser_kgiNxXK Posted at 2017-10-6 12:21

If the "alterations " in of themselves don't involve extra holes or things to that effect (like a device holder extender that fits in the existing holder or some extra stickers for look, for instance) that won't void the warranty. If you add a component that contributes to a crash or damaging the unit (like the magnets interfering with the electronics) it would be a non warranty situation because the resulted crash or damage wasn't due to a malfunction of the aircraft.
2017-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-29 12:30
The way the sticks work would prevent you from using any magnets near the remote. The remote reads stick imput by magnetic sensors so any magnetism around it would mess things up

you sure it is?   and what sort of system is used that would be thrown off by magnets on the sticks?  i know some magnetic based inputs that exist (not sure is used here however)  however they tend to not be negatively impacted from external interference unless it is very strong, like hall effect sensors, magnets are used and sensor messures change however they are very resilient against false readings.

that being said, putting magnet near phone is less than ideal, since the compass in the phone can be negatively impacted and cause the app to get confused with which way everything is in relation to each other.  i dont think it will cause a fly away, but still, best to avoid.
2017-10-7
Use props
djiuser_dgK35RfZ21Al
lvl.2
Flight distance : 236483 ft
Czechia

Hello there. I was wondering if I can keep my drone controller and batteries with my DJI Osmo mobile se? The think is that there is magnet on OSMO. Will it affect the drone controllers or batteries in any way?
2023-6-6
Use props
djiuser_jnVRW8ONFl8h
New

South Africa

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-29 12:32

How to fix it in that case?
3-25 23:19
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

djiuser_jnVRW8ONFl8h Posted at 3-25 23:19
How to fix it in that case?

This has no effect, use with confidence.
3-30 00:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules