I wonder how accurate is the Mavic altimeter?
4302 8 2017-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I have a lot of trees in the yard, but one towers over all the rest so I used the Mavic to test height and came to a height of 140 feet.  I don't trust GPS to give elevation too well, so I wonder exactly how accurate the Mavic is?  I think we need someone to test the height of a known object.  Anyone have a way to test this?

2017-5-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I don't trust GPS to give elevation too well, so I wonder exactly how accurate the Mavic is?

The Mavic doesn't use GPS for elevation. It only ever displays height relative to the takeoff point and uses a barometer (or VPS sensors when appropriate) for that.
2017-5-29
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-29 17:56
I don't trust GPS to give elevation too well, so I wonder exactly how accurate the Mavic is?

The Mavic doesn't use GPS for elevation. It only ever displays height relative to the takeoff point and uses a barometer (or VPS sensors when appropriate) for that.

I was unaware that it had an actual barometer.  Way cool.  So my tree is 140 feet high!
2017-5-29
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

The height you see on the screen is very accurate. Has a very accurate rangefinder and has before measured altitude (distance) that fits within 1 meter when my mavic hover directly over me at a height of 60 meters. You must keep in mind the height is always based on your take off point.

The height of Mavic is calculated from the barometer when the vessel is over 15 meters in height. GPS is only used to determine the position of the vessel on the map.

Regards Leif.
2017-5-29
Use props
Andreas Wederbrand
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77717 ft
Sweden

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-29 23:59
Hi.

The height you see on the screen is very accurate. Has a very accurate rangefinder and has before measured altitude (distance) that fits within 1 meter when my mavic hover directly over me at a height of 60 meters. You must keep in mind the height is always based on your take off point.

I'm late to this party but how does it know when it is at 15 meters? To be able to take barometric pressure.
2020-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Andreas Wederbrand Posted at 7-28 01:46
I'm late to this party but how does it know when it is at 15 meters? To be able to take barometric pressure.

Ignore the post that's confused you.
The barometer measures altitude from the time the drone is switched on ...  not from 15 metres.
2020-7-28
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

You can measure and compare an object's shadow with the shadow of a known object to determine it's height. You need a tape measure and a yard stick. Stand the yard stick exactly vertical and measure it's shadow. Then quickly before the sun moves, measure the shadow of the tree. The ratio you got for the known objects height is the same as the unknown object's ratio. For example, say the 3 foot yard stick's shadow was 2 feet, and the tree's shadow was 50 feet. 50X3/2=75. The tree is 75 feet tall. If you do it, let me know how accurate your Mavic was.
2020-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

TrevorSK Posted at 7-28 05:44
You can measure and compare an object's shadow with the shadow of a known object to determine it's height. You need a tape measure and a yard stick. Stand the yard stick exactly vertical and measure it's shadow. Then quickly before the sun moves, measure the shadow of the tree. The ratio you got for the known objects height is the same as the unknown object's ratio. For example, say the 3 foot yard stick's shadow was 2 feet, and the tree's shadow was 50 feet. 50X3/2=75. The tree is 75 feet tall. If you do it, let me know how accurate your Mavic was.

If you do it, let me know how accurate your Mavic was.
Don't expect a reply.
That post was 3 years ago.
2020-7-28
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 7-28 05:47
If you do it, let me know how accurate your Mavic was.
Don't expect a reply.
That post was 3 years ago.

2020-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules