Avoiding charging your smartphone with the RC?
32608 55 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-12-6 09:31
Just stop the option " Fast cable charging ".

For Samsung devices ( I have Note 5 ):      DEVICE MAINTENANCE  >>  "BATTERY" > from the 3 dots  >  "ADVANCED SETTINGS" >>  turn off the option "Fast cable charging"

Doing exactly the same. Turning off the fast cable charging before connecting the phone to the RC helps a lot. So far no other way to safe battery unless your mobile device is rooted.
2018-6-27
Use props
fanseb83622d
lvl.2

Slovakia

Omg, what a stupid advises like cut a wire, have phone charged or power bank. It is for sure very comfortabke hold RC with 2 cable and power bank on it. And i dont know who cane with ixea of full charged battery on phone. Probably that person think the charging energy is something like puring water to full closed plastic bag. Yes water doesnt go to closed plastic bag but charginf doesnt care if battery is full or not it charges battery all the time. Normal answer for this is DJI should handle it. There isnt normal way.
2018-8-4
Use props
fansc8609a7a
New

Norway

fanseb83622d Posted at 2018-8-4 12:08
Omg, what a stupid advises like cut a wire, have phone charged or power bank. It is for sure very comfortabke hold RC with 2 cable and power bank on it. And i dont know who cane with ixea of full charged battery on phone. Probably that person think the charging energy is something like puring water to full closed plastic bag. Yes water doesnt go to closed plastic bag but charginf doesnt care if battery is full or not it charges battery all the time. Normal answer for this is DJI should handle it. There isnt normal way.

Well.. the water analogy is used quite often when explaining electricity to people who don't understand it. Your bag full of water actually describes how charging a battery works quite well (if it's a rechargeable battery). When the bag is full, no more water will go into it. Of course, if you use your phone and draw power from it, it will draw power from the "charger".
2018-10-18
Use props
BearMan54
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161923 ft
United States

Well when I used my ZTE Blade v8 Pro I had no problem with RC charging the phone, but now that I have a Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus, it's a problem RC is charging the Tab3.... This is crazy that DJI can't come up with a fix....
2018-10-25
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

Sure they can. They will not because people would deplete their phones and then cry about it. There is the middle ground though; put the option in advanced settings with warning confirmation before activation.

Also, it could be set to automatically start charging if phone power drops below set percentage (25% for example).

Note 8 here with Mavic Air Fly More +1 extra battery which makes it 4 in total. I can't go trough them before remote discharges. The reason I waited for purchase this long is so all kinks like this could be ironed out - I'm rather disappointed to see problems like this still exist.

Also; sound of this thing is horrendous.
2018-12-28
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

Can't edit my previous post but wanted to update my new test results. Anyway, I'm using Samsung Note 8 and have fast charging activated.

Since phone will start charging as soon as you turn on the RC, if you I start flying ASAP (not going trough lots of settings while bird is on the ground) I actually can go trough all 4 batteries without depleting the RC! Yay!

Alternatively, you don't have to get a battery bank to recharge RC a bit (if needed) - just use one of the drone's batteries with supplied adapter since they'll always have some charge left.

Cheers
2018-12-29
Use props
fanscc372b6c
New
Flight distance : 17546 ft

United States

This is a serious problem with DJI. iOS doesn't have the issue. FIX IT! I will not buy another drone from a company who pigeon holes their clients into specific platforms.
2019-1-15
Use props
djiuser_u0JUQFE0A67J
New
United States

Am I missing something here? I just saw a YouTube video, admittedly older (August 2018), where the host clearly showed an option to disable the charging from the controller to the device. This is displayed at 2:35 in the video.

I cant post links but the channel is "Ed Ricker" and the video title is "One week with the Mavic 2 Zoom - What I Learned"

Now to be clear, I am using the large USB port on the underside of the controller so I'm not sure that makes a difference but where did this option go??!!??
2019-3-18
Use props
mmoci
lvl.1

Croatia

Since this is already old, well know issue and there is no official solution I would like to share my findings and I am looking for some help.
DJI said that this is not their problem it is android. That is the answer I get from DJI. I disagree with that approach. Even if android works like it works, solution from DJI side can be made.
It is clear they don't have intention to fix this problem as it helps sell more new products by screwing peoples batteries.

On my opinion for those of you who have rooted phones or you are willing to solve issue by rooting your device I can suggest to use app called "Battery Charge Limit" this is so far the only rooted app that works very well. You set limit where you want charging to stop and it really stops charging your phone. I try other apps but they were causing more trouble than they would give benefit.
So for example your battery is on 65%, you just enable limit in app and set it to 65% and your device wont charge battery and drain RC.
NOTE that rooting your phone is on your personal responsibility and you are accepting risks that comes with rooting process.

Another thing... phones... can we provide list of andriod devices that doesn't drain RC battery? I heard that there are such devices, bud don't know which? I am very interested in this topic.
2019-5-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Why don't  you use this and never have  phone or controller battery charge issue.
So simple...
102531shqjk1h3ijilocqz.jpg
2019-5-17
Use props
mmoci
lvl.1

Croatia

On my opinion this is not good solution. Having charger plugged in RC helps extend operational life any you can fly longer, but it gives same effect on longer term it kills RC battery...and this is not what I am tring to achieve. You end up with broken RC battery.
This is like car that have broken engine and solution is to give him more fuel instead repair engine.
2019-5-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

If it is possible to provide a suitable replacement cable so the controller doesn't charge the android phone, how much would you be prepared to pay for it??
2019-5-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

mmoci Posted at 5-19 21:53
On my opinion this is not good solution. Having charger plugged in RC helps extend operational life any you can fly longer, but it gives same effect on longer term it kills RC battery...and this is not what I am tring to achieve. You end up with broken RC battery.
This is like car that have broken engine and solution is to give him more fuel instead repair engine.

Rubbish!
If your powerbank has adequate capacity, it will last as long as you desire.
2019-5-22
Use props
mmoci
lvl.1

Croatia

Read about battery life... You will see what is the issue there.
2019-5-23
Use props
J Finch Photography
lvl.2
Flight distance : 698845 ft
United States

I deleted my suggestion which pertained to iOS.  Reading back I see this is only an issue with Android.                                                     
2019-8-25
Use props
Kozjegyzo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7999 ft
Hungary

This is the solution that worked for me, no need for a powerbank or rooting
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules