FPV with GoPro Hero 4 & Phantom 2
10590 10 2014-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm using a Black Pearl RC801 and Flysight 5.8Ghz 400mw transmitter.  It seems to work okay with the GoPro Hero 4 however, I notice the range of the FPV signal seems to be less.  I used to be able to get out to 2kM without any trouble and even to 2.9kM under best case conditions and now with the Hero 4 on channel 8 (whichs seems to give me the best range) - I'm limited to about 800M or so and the picture starts getting snowy around 300M.  

Anybody else using the Hero 4 with an analog (non-lightbridge) FPV setup and getting good results?  It might be that my transmitter is failing.  I haven't had time to switch back and forth from the Hero 3+ to the Hero 4 and see if the issue is still present.

Thanks,
Scott

2014-10-11
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Switching the camera shouldn't make a difference. The GoPro just feeds the video to the transmitter, so the issue would be the transmitter or receiver.

Anything change on your setup other than the camera?
2014-10-12
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-12 16:59
Switching the camera shouldn't make a difference. The GoPro just feeds the video to the transmitter, ...

Nope, just changed the camera.  I'm ordering a new transmitter to see if that fixes the problem.  I've also tried different antennas without any luck.  Thanks for your reply!
2014-10-12
Use props
Jarret
New

United States

scott7161@gmail Posted at 2014-10-12 23:55
Nope, just changed the camera.  I'm ordering a new transmitter to see if that fixes the problem.   ...

The hero 4 is not compatible with FPV. I bought one and had to take it back. Sucks that DJI isn't keeping up with tech.
2014-10-22
Use props
Serafin
lvl.1

United States

Jarret Posted at 2014-10-23 15:08
The hero 4 is not compatible with FPV. I bought one and had to take it back. Sucks that DJI isn't  ...

Really? Several users report being able to use them. What do you mean not compatible with FPV? It may be your specific setup.
2014-11-7
Use props
erikgraham
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55128 ft
United States

Shouldn't you turn off the wifi on the GoPro 4?
You don't need it and it will just interfere with the phantom wifi transmitter....
2014-11-7
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
Netherlands

Jarret Posted at 2014-10-23 15:08
The hero 4 is not compatible with FPV. I bought one and had to take it back. Sucks that DJI isn't  ...

It works..been using it for about a week with no problems.
And yeah, wifi on ANY GoPro during flight is a big no. Unless you're trying to lose your Phantom
2014-11-7
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I found out my problem was twofold -  that the gimbal was vibrating due to being unbalanced by the new GoPro and that I needed to change channel frequencies.  Once I got that worked out - things are better...  Thanks everyone!
2014-11-12
Use props
skrantz
New

Sweden

scott7161@gmail Posted at 2014-11-13 13:40
I found out my problem was twofold -  that the gimbal was vibrating due to being unbalanced by the n ...

Hi,

Iam new to UAV and have just bought a rctimer800 second hand to try this hobby out Before I spend $..

Anyway, I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

Iam realy intrested in what kind of Equipment you buy to get FPV from GoPro4? Links or DIY guides etc...

Thanks in advance.

/Stefan - Sweden
2014-11-23
Use props
Droneasaurus
New

Canada

Hi. I am a hobbyist looking to upgrade to a phantom platform. I am really torn between the Vision + or going with the GoPro Hero 4 Black. I live in Canada and want to use for commercial purposes so I would love to have the 4K option, but on the other hand I don't want to spend a fortune on the lightbridge. What can you suggest as some possible set ups that I should consider with a minimal amount of modification. Thanks!
2014-12-16
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

skrantz Posted at 2014-11-24 06:08
Hi,

Iam new to UAV and have just bought a rctimer800 second hand to try this hobby out Before I s ...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=943
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1221
2014-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules