Compass/ Tall landing gear
1464 6 2015-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yellowdesmo
New

United States

Hello everyone,
Ihave questions that I can't find answers to. Obviously the reason I put taller/wider landing gear on the my FC40 would be to make sure they don’t show up inphotos and videos and give a little more clearance for the camera when landing.
BeforeI removed the stock landing gear, I made sure to mark where the compasslocation was and I measured where to put the compass on the taller landinggear. I have read it’s crucial to make sure the compass location is in theexact same spot when installing it on new landing gear, other wise you may getthe dreaded TBE. I did have TBE when I took it out after installing the newlanding gear and have since calibrated the compass and the remote control’ssticks using the NAZAM-V2 software, the sticks were off slightly, my compassparameters were within the allowable limits, between 1400-1500. But on a testflight it wanted to drift a little still.
Ihave a hard time believing that new landing gear would have such and effect onthe ability to hold position, when the compass location is as close to theoriginal location as can be, unless the wider stance of the new landing gear isenough to screw things up because the new location would not be exactly thesame compared to the shorter stock gear in that aspect? I did update thefirmware and even tried to go back to the original landing gear, but I stillhave a slight drift. I do the compass calibration before each flight and makesure to get a strong satellite lock as well. It will fly well enough, but I dohave to compensate with control inputs to keep it in the same location whenhovering. So my question is, is there something I’m missing? When you guys andgals plug your FC40 into a computer, do you use a laptop/tablet outside awayfrom possible disruptions or a desktop PC/or Mac? I feel like it’s a simple fixbut I just can’t seem to figure it out.

2015-3-10
Use props
yellowdesmo
New

United States

Also I'm sorry,  this was the first time I've posted and I kept trying thinking it didn't work. So this post might be in a couple of different places.
2015-3-10
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

You need to have the compass in the same orientation as stock but not the same position.  The compass is sensing  north east south west so any rotation will cause to to incorrectly sense direction.  Height on the leg is not so critical.
2015-3-11
Use props
yellowdesmo
New

United States

Is there a way to know if the orientation is correct?
2015-3-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just put the compass on the same leg facing the same way as stock. After that point, if the machine calibrates (compass calibration) it should be fine. You can carefully test it outside after calibration by trying home lock or RTH (assuming you set up S1 to Naza mode and failsafe).

I installed higher landing gear and it worked first time every time..
2015-3-12
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

The cable should be facing up towards the copter.  The C Clamp should face directly to the right looking at the copter from behind
2015-3-12
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I measured mine from the bottom to the top of compass
2016-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules