Are filters required?
467851 467851 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I seem to be able to capture decent shots without any filters, so just wondering if they are mandatory?  I am not the professional photographer here.  I watch a few vids online and the filters seems to take the details out of water to me among other things.  Each one of them trying to capture the perfect 60 shutter speed with 100 ISO.  I guess the point I am trying to make is I am not convinced yet.

A couple non-filtered captures I have done (Unprocessed):

Inbox.jpg
DJI_0097_2.JPG
Mountains.jpg
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

After viewing them i am convinced you need filters.

Buy some ND filters and start producing quality images.

Dont post any clips of your vid because the high shutter speed will be so evident that you will have to delete this post.
2017-5-30
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-30 17:21
After viewing them i am convinced you need filters.

Buy some ND filters and start producing quality images.

What??!!!  OK, you cracked me up!
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Glad i was able to crack you up.
Now post some video showing what happens when you allow shutter speed to dictate quality.
A still frame is no evidence of good footage my friend, especially when dealing with this underwhelming mavic camera.
2017-5-30
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

lol that was pretty funny. To be honest, the filters give you more of a cinematic feel to the video. Giving you some natural motion blur when moving which actually comes out really nice. YouTube some videos comparing shooting with and without. You'll see why people buy them.  I would grab them and enjoy.
2017-5-30
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

ND filters are not mandatory but if you want to maximize the quality of your video (and pics too), they certainly will give you much more usable spectrum when post processing....
2017-5-30
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really nice landscape Xman.

BTW, I don't use filter either and I don't do post edit.

Did you borrowed a Mercedes to go up that high.
2017-5-30
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

It's a little unfortunate but the others speak the truth.  On a clear sunny day new noon. you're going to get a lot of whacky flicker or "jello" without a filter.  It's more or less unavoidable.  I use a polarizing filter all the time now.  Even if there's no need for an ND filter, the polarization part takes a lot of the sky out as well as haze apparent in in the second photo.  In the first grab, the sky is heavily affecting the metering, so that the ground is too dark and the polarizing part will help with that.  It's good over water too.

At the same time, it really depends what you're going for.  If you're really more interested in flying and don't mind the occasional glitch, you probably don't need filters.  You'll want to get habit of setting all of the exposure parameters manually.  It doesn't take a long time to learn.
2017-5-30
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-30 18:04
Really nice landscape Xman.

BTW, I don't use filter either and I don't do post edit.

I got an altitude boost when the AMG driver got beat by my sleeper Boxster and he blew his top!  So yes, it took a Merc to get that high.
2017-5-30
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-5-30 18:10
It's a little unfortunate but the others speak the truth.  On a clear sunny day new noon. you're going to get a lot of whacky flicker or "jello" without a filter.  It's more or less unavoidable.  I use a polarizing filter all the time now.  Even if there's no need for an ND filter, the polarization part takes a lot of the sky out as well as haze apparent in in the second photo.  In the first grab, the sky is heavily affecting the metering, so that the ground is too dark and the polarizing part will help with that.  It's good over water too.

At the same time, it really depends what you're going for.  If you're really more interested in flying and don't mind the occasional glitch, you probably don't need filters.  You'll want to get habit of setting all of the exposure parameters manually.  It doesn't take a long time to learn.

I just would think it a hassle to figure out which one to pop on there is why I ask.  I am on the fence on getting a set.  Maybe I will, but didn't want to waste the money for something I wouldn't use.

Note the first shot I didn't have enough light and I should have opened it up.  The second two I did a little better I think.
2017-5-30
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-5-30 17:52
ND filters are not mandatory but if you want to maximize the quality of your video (and pics too), they certainly will give you much more usable spectrum when post processing....

I guess you probably hit the head on the nail here....  How much post processing do I really want to do?

Maybe I need to experiment with it for a while to find out how much I can tolerate.
2017-5-30
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-30 18:29
I got an altitude boost when the AMG driver got beat by my sleeper Boxster and he blew his top!  So yes, it took a Merc to get that high.

I did not have my sun glasses on but I am pretty sure I saw you getting towed up the mountain by the AMG and not the other way around. Come on, I won't judge you!
2017-5-30
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-30 18:37
I guess you probably hit the head on the nail here....  How much post processing do I really want to do?

Maybe I need to experiment with it for a while to find out how much I can tolerate.

to get the most out of the picture or video you will likely do some post processing regardless. The appropriate ND filter for the given light conditions will only give you more range in your adjustments when you do post process it....without a filter, you will likely not have enough adjustment in post processing and could have unusable video footage.
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-30 17:22
What??!!!  OK, you cracked me up!

Did the others responding crack you up also?

You can buy filters one at a time if you dont wish to make full payment for the full range upfront which you might not require. This way you can see for yourself and decide if you want more.
I buy from ebay for around $10 delivered.
So far have the ND16 and 32 and will probably grab the 8 next time.
Only after you see the difference, will you see your initial response as inadequate.

2017-5-30
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-5-30 19:37
to get the most out of the picture or video you will likely do some post processing regardless. The appropriate ND filter for the given light conditions will only give you more range in your adjustments when you do post process it....without a filter, you will likely not have enough adjustment in post processing and could have unusable video footage.

This is so true. I like to use a uv when possible, but it's summer now. Your looking at shutter speeds 1600+ without a nd
2017-5-30
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I personally don't use filters either, in saying that I wouldn't mind giving them a try.
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

cristianc Posted at 2017-5-30 21:58
I personally don't use filters either, in saying that I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

Here are some from BG

https://www.banggood.com/Camera- ... 1.html?rmmds=search

They look like the design to pass the gimbal thrashing at startup.
2017-5-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Filters are only needed for filming. TBH, it is best to have a as high as possible shutter with the mavic, as it slightly moves, the higher the shutter, less chance the image will become blurry.
2017-5-30
Use props
b0n3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Guys what are you talking about!???
For the still photo you don't need any filters on the Mavic, especially ND!!!
For the photo faster shutter speed is better, for the video - visa versa.
Regarding CPL filter for the Mavic - this is the most useless thing, cause you need constantly rotate it, how can you do it in the mid air? )Only Karlson can handle with it )
2017-5-31
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I've seen at least one post of a flyer posting with/without comparisons using ND filters.  May be worth doing a google to check them out.  
FWIW, I'm really happy with the Cinematic Series, which I bought directly from Polar Pro and use them all the time.  I was impressed enough by their customer service and the product quality that I posted about it yesterday.  
2017-5-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

b0n3 Posted at 2017-5-31 00:03
Guys what are you talking about!???
For the still photo you don't need any filters on the Mavic, especially ND!!!
For the photo faster shutter speed is better, for the video - visa versa.

Pretty sure he is talking about video. He's looking at 60 shutter and 100 iso. I shoot over 100 shutter, it seems to be the sweet spot with mavic. 60 he's right, it turns trees into potatoes.

Cpl adds a bit more saturation to your videos. But your right about the adjustment, can spin it all you want and never get it perfect like taking a still with a camera.
2017-5-31
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Polarized or not?
2017-5-31
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I think I got an answer...  Polarized for water shots, normal for land shots.  So now I have to get two sets.....

The DJI ones are flimsy it looks like, so that leaves these:

I have found the following chart on approximate times to use them from one of the threads in this forum:

I think I have a clear path now.  I just want to read up on alternatives but it is increasingly clear that these are the best.

My one gripe is that to take pictures, you don't want them, but to take video you do...  I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too in this scenario...  And I always want to eat my cake since what is the point of even having a cake if you can't eat it?

2017-5-31
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is post processing?
2017-5-31
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-5-31 16:35
What is post processing?

Manipulating the color / sharpness / saturation on the back end in your NLE.
2017-5-31
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-5-31 16:35
What is post processing?

That would be editing a photo or video after shooting it.
2017-5-31
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Watch this video

2017-5-31
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

After research, I got the Polar Pro six pack.  I guess I will learn soon enough how well they work.  Not sure I want to use the PL at all times, and the six pack comes with both PL and non-PL, but a bit pricey at $150.

What direction should the filter be in for proper polarization?  Is it marked on it?
2017-6-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Yeah, only have uv and cpl here and nd 4-32. Like to see how testing goes on those pl+nd xman. I've been thinking about getting the denoiser 3 from red giant. They have a half off discount for teachers and students. Emailed them about it and they'll give it to retired teachers too.
2017-6-5
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-6-5 13:12
Yeah, only have uv and cpl here and nd 4-32. Like to see how testing goes on those pl+nd xman. I've been thinking about getting the denoiser 3 from red giant. They have a half off discount for teachers and students. Emailed them about it and they'll give it to retired teachers too.

Will do.

Note I could have used half off.  These things are bank!
2017-6-5
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-6-5 13:12

Note:  I am getting sucked into going to Alaska next month, so I guess I will get to test the Polarization over water.  We shall see just how clueless I am in making them work now.

Filters are schedueled to arrive tomorrow.  I hope they fit in the fly more bag.
2017-6-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Does Amazon sell good ND filters?
2017-6-6
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-6-6 17:26
Does Amazon sell good ND filters?

That is where I bought them - Amazon.  UPS says by 8PM tomorrow.  Might not be in time to get any footage.

This is what I got:  https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pro-Filters-Filters-Cinema-6-Pack/dp/B01MQUMIQ4
2017-6-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-6 17:44
That is where I bought them - Amazon.  UPS says by 8PM tomorrow.  Might not be in time to get any footage.

This is what I got:  https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pro-Filters-Filters-Cinema-6-Pack/dp/B01MQUMIQ4

Thanks for the link, I will hang on to it until you post your first video using a filter.
2017-6-6
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-6-6 17:51
Thanks for the link, I will hang on to it until you post your first video using a filter.

My first attempt at using the filter will take me some time to learn.  To be honest, my video's suck compared to what a lot of people do here which is why when I think, this is awesome!!....  I then look at what is being posted and it is not that awesome compared to theirs.

Full disclosure there.  

I will get some Alaska video though.  I have to.  Plan to track some bears and compare the size to the bears in my area.

OK fine...  Here is one of my test timelapse videos...    You might recognize the mountains from the pics above.  And no...  I didn't plan for a rainbow to appear, I just got lucky.  Music is from a Coldplay track.
2017-6-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-6 17:58
My first attempt at using the filter will take me some time to learn.  To be honest, my video's suck compared to what a lot of people do here which is why when I think, this is awesome!!....  I then look at what is being posted and it is not that awesome compared to theirs.

Full disclosure there.  

You're right it sucked...j/k I can already tell the difference.  Nice job, but that rainbow though...keep posting them vids.
2017-6-6
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Wow, that first poster is a straight up d!ck... Get over yourself man! Geez...

You don't need filters for photos because you can change the shutter speed to account for the crazy amount of light you will likely be getting when shooting in the sky, with a drone. You need the filters for when you do video, because you want to keep the shutter speed lower (1/60 - if you shoot 30fps and 1/50 - if you shoot 24fps). You want to use one of these two combinations to create a natural looking motion blur, which is what our human eyes are used to seeing. If you shoot in one of those two fps without an ND filter (sunglasses for your camera), your highlights will be crazy blown out during the day, if you try to keep the shutter in the 1/50-1/60 range. You can raise the shutter to account for the high amount of sunlight, but then your footage is going to look like a soap opera, rather than a movie. That's where the ND filters come in. It allows you to keep a nice, evenly exposed image, and keep your shutter in that Goldilocks zone.
2017-6-6
Use props
fansbab5d456
lvl.2
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-6 17:58

Full disclosure there.  

Not to derail, but how are you uploading your video to YouTube with a copyrighted song from Coldplay without getting flagged?  I tried to do that the other day and video was instantly removed
2017-6-6
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

fansbab5d456 Posted at 2017-6-6 19:14
Not to derail, but how are you uploading your video to YouTube with a copyrighted song from Coldplay without getting flagged?  I tried to do that the other day and video was instantly removed

I think you are allowed a certain time frame.  Also, the sounds are too generic to positively place.
2017-6-6
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-6-6 18:39
You're right it sucked...j/k I can already tell the difference.  Nice job, but that rainbow though...keep posting them vids.

Well thanks.  
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules