Mavic video is totally blur after dji go update
1754 23 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80919 ft
Finland

I shoot 1080p50, D-Cinelike, Custom -1, -1, -1. ISO100, 1/100, PGYTech ND4, all focus are ok

This first video screenshot is previous version of Dji Go4 app, everything is ok
Then i update the Dji Go app, all settings are 100% same and i take 27min footage and you can see that _everything_ is blurry, and like "paint", video screenshot 2 is Last screenshot is 1:1 1080p display, i can't use that material..

Screenshot 2017-05-31 12.36.58.jpg

Screenshot 2017-05-31 12.18.52.jpg
Screenshot 2017-05-31 13.16.01.jpg
2017-5-31
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

i found a bug. You need to reset your picture profile settings! This is same bug in this new dji go version, also this same bug has 1 year a go in P4 dji go update. This is sad because i cannot use any footage what i shoot yesterday.
Left is before picture profile update, and when i set the profile to none and then back to d-cinelike it look like this:

Screenshot 2017-05-31 16.12.35.jpg
2017-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Despite what you've read is good for Phantom cameras, the Mavic's camera stack will give this result when you use negative sharpening in lower light and/or in high contrast lighting. Some are recommending postive sharpening in really low light. Hope this helps.
2017-5-31
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Totally agree with Ex Machina. Any negative or even 0 sharpness settings will result in inappropriate picture quality.
to me +1 works fine. Some people say that negative sharpness settings will turn on noise reduction that is of very bad quality in Mavic firmware
2017-5-31
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-31 07:00
Despite what you've read is good for Phantom cameras, the Mavic's camera stack will give this result when you use negative sharpening in lower light and/or in high contrast lighting. Some are recommending postive sharpening in really low light. Hope this helps.

That is not a problem. I have 100% same settings before and after the Dji Go update. I just update the software, check the settings that are everything is same.

But all footage was totally blur.. then i check the software 3h in home.. i just change the color profile D-Cinelike to None, and then back to D-Cinelike and the picture is 100% sharp.

This is just a big bug in software.
2017-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-5-31 14:36
That is not a problem. I have 100% same settings before and after the Dji Go update. I just update the software, check the settings that are everything is same.

But all footage was totally blur.. then i check the software 3h in home.. i just change the color profile D-Cinelike to None, and then back to D-Cinelike and the picture is 100% sharp.

I won't dispute that there may be some kind of extenuating issue that presents with certain color profiles, but there's an awful lot of evidence that points to negative sharpening values causing problems in low and high-contrast lighting scenarios. The problem appears to be related to the threshold where noise reduction kicks in, causing blurriness.

If switching color profiles before recording video fixes the issue for you, then that's great. if it doesn't, try using 0 or +1 sharpening to see if that takes care of the problem. Cheers.
2017-5-31
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

i use +1 -1 -1 and works fine on 2.7k 25fps
2017-5-31
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-31 18:18
I won't dispute that there may be some kind of extenuating issue that presents with certain color profiles, but there's an awful lot of evidence that points to negative sharpening values causing problems in low and high-contrast lighting scenarios. The problem appears to be related to the threshold where noise reduction kicks in, causing blurriness.

If switching color profiles before recording video fixes the issue for you, then that's great. if it doesn't, try using 0 or +1 sharpening to see if that takes care of the problem. Cheers.

I make all these test videos in home 0 , 0 , 0 profile. The picture was totally blur and i think what i can change next and then i change the color profile -> none. Take a new video and everything was fine.
2017-6-1
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-1 01:53
I make all these test videos in home 0 , 0 , 0 profile. The picture was totally blur and i think what i can change next and then i change the color profile -> none. Take a new video and everything was fine.

You can reset camera but all setting go to default, or try switch to and from PAL to NTSC or vice versa and the camera restarts without resetting everything - usually fixes it.
2017-6-1
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

4wd Posted at 2017-6-1 02:15
You can reset camera but all setting go to default, or try switch to and from PAL to NTSC or vice versa and the camera restarts without resetting everything - usually fixes it.

Yes but the problem is that if you update the new Dji Go software. You should think that everything is ok. I check all settings was 100% same and keep shooting. I have over 30min footage now what i can't use.

This is a BIG bug in software that you need to reset picture settings to get good footage with new Dji Go software.
2017-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-1 02:23
Yes but the problem is that if you update the new Dji Go software. You should think that everything is ok. I check all settings was 100% same and keep shooting. I have over 30min footage now what i can't use.

This is a BIG bug in software that you need to reset picture settings to get good footage with new Dji Go software.

I really don't understand this issue. I've read others assert the same, but I've never been able to tell a difference after resetting my camera or switching from NTSC to PAL and back -- it's always sharp unless I tell it not to be sharp by assigning negative values. Maybe it's a production run issue.
2017-6-1
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-1 06:26
I really don't understand this issue. I've read others assert the same, but I've never been able to tell a difference after resetting my camera or switching from NTSC to PAL and back -- it's always sharp unless I tell it not to be sharp by assigning negative values. Maybe it's a production run issue.

Last week Dji Go software version the footage look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/frg76hsuawpqyjb/focusworking.mp4?dl=0

Then i update the software and after 5min the footage loo like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp9eci ... cusproblem.mp4?dl=0

And you don't see any problem for that? i have working 5 years with drones and also Inspire 1 + 2 and that look terrible.. and i did not change _any_ settings after update.. just reboot the software.

But when i reset all picture profile etc settings the picture is sharp.. i will say that a big problem. And i have also get feedback from dji that is not normal.
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

It appears there are two issues going on here, the effect of negative sharpening values on footage in lower and high-contrast light, and a plain focus problem that (temporarily?) goes away when you reset the camera stack. Your two videos show the first issue where negative sharpening works fine in good light, not so much in lower and high-contrast light. This is well documented in the forum.

Your subsequent posts detailing the focus changes you detect when resetting the camera has also been reported in the forum, but if it's a software bug then it must affect a minority of Mavics, perhaps only those in a particular production run, because I haven't been able to replicate this on mine and the reports are uncommon but predate this recent Go 4 update. It's very mysterious to me.

Awesome that DJI has weighed-in and I can't wait to hear what they say, hope you get it sorted soon and report back their findings and resolution.
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 06:04
It appears there are two issues going on here, the effect of negative sharpening values on footage in lower and high-contrast light, and a plain focus problem that (temporarily?) goes away when you reset the camera stack. Your two videos show the first issue where negative sharpening works fine in good light, not so much in lower and high-contrast light. This is well documented in the forum.

Your subsequent posts detailing the focus changes you detect when resetting the camera has also been reported in the forum, but if it's a software bug then it must affect a minority of Mavics, perhaps only those in a particular production run, because I haven't been able to replicate this on mine and the reports are uncommon but predate this recent Go 4 update. It's very mysterious to me.

Like i say in earlier post: this is 0,0,0 settings and only what i have change is the color profile, focus is manually set. And this error comes only one's.. the first time when you update the dji go software. And why i talk this.. it's because this software error cost me a lot of money because i can't use that material. I have use Dji Go software from Dji Phantom 1.1.1 so i think that i know how this should work...
The left is before and right is after, i only push color profile None, nothing else:

051719kp28ybyq25ulpycq.jpg

2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-2 07:02
Like i say in earlier post: this is 0,0,0 settings and only what i have change is the color profile, focus is manually set. And this error comes only one's.. the first time when you update the dji go software. And why i talk this.. it's because this software error cost me a lot of money because i can't use that material. I have use Dji Go software from Dji Phantom 1.1.1 so i think that i know how this should work...
The left is before and right is after, i only push color profile None, nothing else:

While making these sample photos, did you move the Mavic?

The coffee maker is def out of focus in the left-hand shot but also looks closer to the camera than does the right-hand shot, though you have to download and look at the larger-size image to really see the focus difference. The focus of the Pepsi bottles look about the same to me in either.  
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 08:24
While making these sample photos, did you move the Mavic?

The coffee maker is def out of focus in the left-hand shot but also looks closer to the camera than does the right-hand shot, though you have to download and look at the larger-size image to really see the focus difference. The focus of the Pepsi bottles look about the same to me in either.

These are movie screenshots. 1:1 from 1080p video. Like i say.. NOTHING is change.. only the color profile change none and back and push the rec again. I don't know why this is so hard to understand
Pepsi logo is sharp in both of pictures so the focus is set ok.. i have work 15 years of photographer and i can say that corners are NOT sharp in left image
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-2 09:23
These are movie screenshots. 1:1 from 1080p video. Like i say.. NOTHING is change.. only the color profile change none and back and push the rec again. I don't know why this is so hard to understand

So you did or didn't move the Mavic between shots?

Because if you didn't then there's definitely something weird going on. If you did, then it might be just a depth of field thing causing the difference in focus on the coffee pot, as the closer you get to the subject, the more narrow DOF becomes.
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 09:28
So you did or didn't move the Mavic between shots?

Because if you didn't then there's definitely something weird going on. If you did, then it might be just a depth of field thing causing the difference in focus on the coffee pot, as the closer you get to the subject, the more narrow DOF becomes.

No i don't move. It is in stand and focus is set before this testing.

If the focus is out the pepsi logo must be unfocus in both pictures on center, but like you can see.. the focus is sharp both in center. And again: only thing what i made is change the color profile and go back d-cinelike and everything is fine.
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-2 09:39
No i don't move. It is in stand and focus is set before this testing.

If the focus is out the pepsi logo must be unfocus in both pictures on center, but like you can see.. the focus is sharp both in center. And again: only thing what i made is change the color profile and go back d-cinelike and everything is fine.

So weird. You wouldn't expect a FOV change switching video settings. There's a FOV change when you switch from video to stills, but that's expected. Others experiencing the same have noted that switching profiles or otherwise resetting the camera only fixes it for a while, is that your experience, too?
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 09:59
So weird. You wouldn't expect a FOV change switching video settings. There's a FOV change when you switch from video to stills, but that's expected. Others experiencing the same have noted that switching profiles or otherwise resetting the camera only fixes it for a while, is that your epxerience, too?

It works now like normal, before the update.

Bigger problem is now that i can't use any material what we shoot and it can't take again..

I think there was a Phantom 4 same problem once.. and then Dji report this and fix to next firmware. If this is the problem what i think it is difficult for many users because you can't see that on screen.
2017-6-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ville Honkonen Posted at 2017-6-2 10:11
It works now like normal, before the update.

Bigger problem is now that i can't use any material what we shoot and it can't take again..

This is really weird, and sorry about your lost work, btw.

I just retested my Mavic and I see no FOV or focus shift when I switch color profiles. When you change your color profile does the camera reset? On mine, I can just change the profile while I'm recording.

You might want to wait till you hear back from DJI support, but have you tried downgrading your firmware and then reinstalling the latest?
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-2 14:02
This is really weird, and sorry about your lost work, btw.

I just retested my Mavic and I see no FOV or focus shift when I switch color profiles. When you change your color profile does the camera reset? On mine, I can just change the profile while I'm recording.

No the camera is not reset. And this problem is only once.. there is no problem after that when you make this color profile change after update.

I just receive 2 email from Dji and i can send the product back and get a new.. but i reply that problem is solved and it is a software problem. And now the problem is forward to dev group to check that this is not happened anymore.
2017-6-2
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

unrelated but what is construction crew doing?
2017-6-2
Use props
Ville Honkonen
lvl.3
Finland

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-2 16:11
unrelated but what is construction crew doing?

They are installing a power cable under the sea. The cable is going to Siikajoki (Finland) to Hailuoto (Finland), hailuoto is a island. You can find it from google maps. It is 13km long and the boat is 1km from Siikajoki and they are pulling the cable from the boat. It takes about 12h to get the cable to land and then people pull the cable about 500m in land.

And then the other end of the cable goes to hailuoto with the boat, and it also connected in hailuoto. This is a backup power connection to Hailuoto island. At this moment if the cable is broken, all people are missing power in Hailuoto.

merikaapeli.jpg
2017-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules