Mavic Pro: unstable hovering - out of luck?
3619 15 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans84633ec1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33196 ft
Norway

Hi everyone,

Here's another "episode" of the hovering problem. I've just bought my Mavic Pro and tested it a couple of times. The Mavic is bumping up and down, and is absolutely NOT NEARLY as stable as I expected it to be. I have previosly flown the Phantom 4 without any kind hovering problems, so I really expected the Mavic to be just as stable. Am I wrong in this assumption?
This is what happens:
The bird is moving approximately 2-5 meters up and down in relatively slow movements, without me doing anything or touching the sticks.

Why?

This is what I've done to correct so far:

1. Firmware is (as far as I know) up to latest version (used DJI Go 4 right after unboxing, took me about 20 min.) I guess this process also updated the bird itself, but I'm not 100% sure
2. Calibrated both IMU and compass several times. This seems to have no effect on the unwanted movements.
3. Used GPS-mode, ensured good GPS-coverage (17-18 satellites found)
4. Tested during late evening, but with what I believe to be sufficient daylight

The drone seems to flying relatively stable higher up - above the 13m limit of the VPS-system. The problems occur when hovering in low altitudes.

According to the DJI Go 4 app, both VPS og obstacle avoidance is turned on. In fact, all that should be on is on. BUT the copter is still moving up and down (haven't tried adjusting the gain settings yet) AND the front sensors don't seem to react to obstacles (even when I am right in front of the copter).

To me it seems like the VPS-system and the collision avoidance is "disconnected" somehow, despite the fact that the app tells me that they all should be running just fine. No warnings in the app whatsover. The display in DJI Go 4 does not display the arches of the avoidance-system that is supposed to let you know when you are approaching an obstacle.

I'm kind of lost here - does anyone recognize these symptoms? I have yet to verify the firmware-status using the PC-software, but that seems to be the last thing to do before eventually returning the whole thing back to DJI for service (which would cost me the enire holiday-season of waiting, I presume)

Appreciate any kind of feedback!

2017-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

A properly working Mavic is extremely stable. The lack of collision avoidance and unstable hovering within but not above VPS range is telling -- I'd revert to an earlier firmware, then update again. If that doesn't fix it it's probably time to contact support. Hope you get it sorted soon.
2017-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

How low to the ground are you flying ?
Over what type of surface?
5 meters is a huge drop VPS can be a bit unstable when flying over plain surfaces, i.e. Grass plain concrete, have you tried calibration for sensors. If it's flying and hovering at higher altitude then it looks like it could be problem with VPS .

And yes Mavic is just as steady as phantom, maybe a bit less in strong wind..
2017-5-31
Use props
CyborgX
lvl.1
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-31 06:55
A properly working Mavic is extremely stable. The lack of collision avoidance and unstable hovering within but not above VPS range is telling -- I'd revert to an earlier firmware, then update again. If that doesn't fix it it's probably time to contact support. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for your feedback. I've done exactly as you suggested here - first downgraded to the previous version, then re-upgraded to the latest version. Out for a new test on the same spot as before. Exactly same result. The thing is hovering up and down. Turning the VPS on/off in the app makes no difference at all. Seems to me that it's only flying on the barometer and not using any of the other sensors. It still won't detect me either, even if I am standing right in front om the drone. I can't see what else to do but to return it. So far my Maveric experience has been a bit disappointing, to say.
2017-5-31
Use props
CyborgX
lvl.1
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-31 10:59
How low to the ground are you flying ?
Over what type of surface?
5 meters is a huge drop VPS can be a bit unstable when flying over plain surfaces, i.e. Grass plain concrete, have you tried calibration for sensors. If it's flying and hovering at higher altitude then it looks like it could be problem with VPS .

I was flying between 2 and 13 meters above the ground (forrest and some asphalt). Doesn't seem to matter what the surface is. Looks to me like the whole VPS-system is just not working - the drone is absolutely not stable, and I have to keep my finger ready on the stick to prevent it from crashing in the ground. This behaviour is far from what I knew from my Phantom 4. Something stinks here. It's going back to DJI for sure. Thanks for your feedback!
2017-5-31
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Within the VPS range, the Mavic uses the ultrasonic range sensors for VPS height.   It would be interesting to analyze your DAT file to see if the VPS height is erratic.  And also the barometric height.
2017-5-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

CyborgX Posted at 2017-5-31 12:02
I was flying between 2 and 13 meters above the ground (forrest and some asphalt). Doesn't seem to matter what the surface is. Looks to me like the whole VPS-system is just not working - the drone is absolutely not stable, and I have to keep my finger ready on the stick to prevent it from crashing in the ground. This behaviour is far from what I knew from my Phantom 4. Something stinks here. It's going back to DJI for sure. Thanks for your feedback!

Griffith's idea is a good one: use these instructions to download a DAT file from one of the flights where this is happening, upload the file to DropBox, and provide a link to it here and we may be in a better position to diagnose what's happening.
2017-5-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The downward vision system is  effective when the aircraft is at altitudes of 0.3 to 13 meters.  Please keep sensor clean all the time, avoid flying over sound-absorbing materials. Like Griffith and DroneFlying said, you can download flight records to analyze, It would be better to send the drone back to repair center to do the flight test if this issue occurs every time.
2017-5-31
Use props
CyborgX
lvl.1
Norway

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-31 13:43
Griffith's idea is a good one: use these instructions to download a DAT file from one of the flights where this is happening, upload the file to DropBox, and provide a link to it here and we may be in a better position to diagnose what's happening.

Ok, here's what I did: The current DJI Assistant 2 v.1.1.0-2 doesn't have an "Flight Record"-option, as far as I can see. But I was able to retreive som LOG-files. Could these be of help? I can make these accessible in a shared Dropbox-folder.
2017-5-31
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Have you removed all the stickers from the sensors, both bottom and front? They are clear and not easy to see.
2017-5-31
Use props
CyborgX
lvl.1
Norway

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-31 22:31
Have you removed all the stickers from the sensors, both bottom and front? They are clear and not easy to see.

Yes, I have noticed (and removed) them. I have also inspected it to make sure no air inlet is being blocked by anything - there's nothing wrong with the chassis as far as I can see. I am returning it to DJI to check. This thing is way too expensive not to function properly.
2017-5-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

CyborgX Posted at 2017-5-31 21:58
Ok, here's what I did: The current DJI Assistant 2 v.1.1.0-2 doesn't have an "Flight Record"-option, as far as I can see. But I was able to retreive som LOG-files. Could these be of help? I can make these accessible in a shared Dropbox-folder.

What's really needed is the DAT file that can only be found on the Mavic itself using these directions. The mobile device does contain flight log (TXT) records, but those probably wouldn't be very useful for analyzing a problem like this.
2017-6-1
Use props
diegocastilla
New

Mexico

i recommend vps server in truxgo has 8 locations verry good support 24/7 https://truxgoservers.com/
2017-6-7
Use props
diegocastilla
New

Mexico

i recommend vps server in truxgo has 8 locations verry good support 24/7 https://truxgoservers.com/
2017-6-7
Use props
CyborgX
lvl.1
Norway

Hi everyone.

Here's the ending of the story. Got it back from DJI support after a month. I was told somewhing was changed, and that solved the issue. It now acts as I was expecting - with stable  hovering. Thanks for all replies.
2017-7-31
Use props
fitrah
lvl.1

Indonesia

CyborgX Posted at 2017-7-31 00:54
Hi everyone.

Here's the ending of the story. Got it back from DJI support after a month. I was told somewhing was changed, and that solved the issue. It now acts as I was expecting - with stable  hovering. Thanks for all replies.

So, what they do for fixing your drone? I have the problem also like that
2022-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules