Humble Question, Why doesn't DJI make a big deal about Dual IMUs' ?
2384 13 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

Why doesn't DJI make a big deal about the Dual IMU's and Dual Compass's on the Mavic Pro ?
or is the rumor true that they had to disable one of each due to overheating or battery drain. ?
IMU's are the Brains of the drone and the Mavic Pro gets hot just sitting on my living room floor. I can logically guess it really needs the forced air from flight not just the internal fan.

2017-5-31
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Mavic only has 2 compasses, 1 IMU. Inspire 2 has 2 IMUs.
2017-5-31
Use props
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-5-31 06:26

really wheres that info posted ?

of course my sources could be equally as wrong.

but at least 2 compasses is better than 1. At least the IMU is a newer generation than the Phantom 4 Pro its not just 1 less of the same type. 1 Mavic Pro IMU might be better than 2 IMU's on the Phantom 4 Pro
2017-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are two compass and IMU on the Mavic and both are working, don't know how hot your Mavic gets sitting on the floor mine is fine, Mavic is an AC so not exactly designed to be sitting on the floor. Aircraft being the give away there, and no none of them have been shut down.

TWO SETS OF SENSORS. TWICE AS RELIABLE

Flight Control systems are critical to stable flight and they need data from different sensors on the Mavic to function. The Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and the compass are the most important ones, yet they are also the most vulnerable to interference. The IMU acquires the angle, speed, and acceleration of the Mavic, so if it functions abnormally, it could negatively affect flight. The compass is used to know where the drone is heading, ensuring it flies in the right direction, and allowing it to return to home automatically. Without the compass, the Mavic would lose its ability to navigate. This is why the Mavic has dual IMUs and dual compasses.
Stability is key to safe flight:
1.        Stability of the propulsion system: The Mavic will only fly when its motors and propellers are normal and intact, and the battery is sufficiently charged.
2.        Stability of flight attitude: Flight attitude is controlled by the Flight Controller. Any errors in attitude could have serious consequences including crashes.
3.        Stability of sensors: Flight attitude is calculated from the data of an array of sensors. Any errors from the sensors could have serious consequences including crashes.
Through DJI’s years of experience in drone development, and from extensive reliability tests DJI has found that propulsion systems and batteries are highly reliable while sensors, especially the IMU and the compass, are more slightly more susceptible to errors. This is why the Mavic has made these sensors redundant with two sets of sensors working simultaneously. Whenever the system detects an inconsistency in one, it switches to the other, keeping your flight steady and reliable.
2017-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nees Posted at 2017-5-31 06:26

Mavic has 2 IMU and 2 compass.
2017-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

IceCold Posted at 2017-5-31 06:59

DJI's website uses poor design practices that make it impossible to link directly to the info Hallmark copied for you, but fwiw it's at http://www.dji.com/mavic -- roll over or tap on the Worry-Free link and then TWO SETS OF SENSORS. TWICE AS RELIABLE.
2017-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

IceCold Posted at 2017-5-31 06:59

It's not a newer IMU than P4Pro, not to sure where your getting all your information from, maybe you can enlighten us.
2017-5-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Why doesn't DJI make a big deal about the Dual IMU's and Dual Compass's on the Mavic Pro ?

Probably because many customers don't know what an IMU is or what advantage there is in having more than one compass. They'll make a big deal about things that help them sell lots of drones, and this probably isn't one of those things.

is the rumor true that they had to disable one of each due to overheating or battery drain. ?

In all seriousness, you need to find a new source of information because you're apparently being fed a lot of bogus "facts" about the Mavic. Out of curiosity, what is the source of these things you keep posting about the Mavic? I've honestly never heard any of them before and I've read a fair amount.
2017-5-31
Use props
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-31 07:01
There are two compass and IMU on the Mavic and both are working, don't know how hot your Mavic gets sitting on the floor mine is fine, Mavic is an AC so not exactly designed to be sitting on the floor. Aircraft being the give away there, and no none of them have been shut down.

TWO SETS OF SENSORS. TWICE AS RELIABLE

Super Appreciated for that post. And it confirms Dual IMU and Dual Compass wow. So amazed.

And as someonelse posted DJIs site desgin deliberately hides. This even from their comparison tool.

That the Mavic Pro has 2 IMUs and 2 Compasses
Equalling the Inspire Line and Phantom 4s

Really glad I got the Mavic Pro just wanted a Drone that was NOT goofy White or had that goofy white controller.
2017-5-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

IceCold Posted at 2017-5-31 09:28
Super Appreciated for that post. And it confirms Dual IMU and Dual Compass wow. So amazed.

And as someonelse posted DJIs site desgin deliberately hides. This even from their comparison tool.

Really glad I got the Mavic Pro just wanted a Drone that was NOT goofy White or had that goofy white controller.

"Goofy white"? You mean like on the Phantom line?

And are you not going to share with us the source of the interesting speculation you've mentioned regarding the Mavic's design?
2017-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-31 09:30

"Goofy white"? You mean like on the Phantom line?

“If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.”

This guy can put up some funny old threads. Lol
2017-5-31
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

My goofy Phantom is over in the corner sulking.   
2017-5-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-31 09:50
“If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.”

This guy can put up some funny old threads. Lol

Yes, and if he's not going to say where his Mavic factoids came from then I'm going to guess that they originated in a certain bodily orifice.

I have to admit, though, that I was fascinated by the idea that someone might know what an IMU is and that the Mavic has two but could still manage to otherwise be so badly informed -- and that they'd care a great deal about the color of the aircraft.
2017-5-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-31 10:12
Yes, and if he's not going to say where his Mavic factoids came from then I'm going to guess that they originated in a certain bodily orifice.

I have to admit, though, that I was fascinated by the idea that someone might know what an IMU is and that the Mavic has two but could still manage to otherwise be so badly informed -- and that they'd care a great deal about the color of the aircraft.

I'm sure dji has a good idea of what their buyers are like with all the repairs going on. That's why they made the spark.

2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules