SD card is invalid
2633 16 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans516b91ad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3914 ft

Lithuania

Hello, I just recently bought 32GB Kingston class 10 SD HC card. I was using the SanDisk Ultra 8GB class 10 SD HC card that came with my phantom 3 standard but I wanted something with a bit more space. As I took the new SD card from the pack I formated it with FAT32 ant placed in the drone, the drone then tried to initialize the SD card but ended with "The SD card is invalid" message. I also tried to format it from the app but it ends up with a message "Formating failed". I know for a fact that the card is good because I just bought it and also tried to copy paste images into it and from it. My phone can read it aswel but not hte phantom. What could be the problem here and why my new SD card is not being recognised?

Thank you in advance.
2017-6-1
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

You need a Sandisk Ultra or Extreme for it to work. The Kingston card might be too slow for the drone, I know it says class 10, but the reading or writing speed might not be fast enough for the drone. From what I've read on different forums, the Sandisk Extreme cards work just fine.

PS: I've just remembered I have a class 10 Kingston card too, and it is not being recognized by the drone either.
2017-6-1
Use props
fans516b91ad
lvl.1

Lithuania

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-1 03:10
You need a Sandisk Ultra or Extreme for it to work. The Kingston card might be too slow for the drone, I know it says class 10, but the reading or writing speed might not be fast enough for the drone. From what I've read on different forums, the Sandisk Extreme cards work just fine.

PS: I've just remembered I have a class 10 Kingston card too, and it is not being recognized by the drone either.

That's a bummer... I just found a random ADATA SD card that is class 10. It's 16GB and the drone was able to use it. Tho I really paid attention to the speeds, I made sure their identical to the SanDisk one that I have but as practice shows my P3S doesn't like Kingston... X_X
2017-6-1
Use props
fans516b91ad
lvl.1

Lithuania

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-1 03:10

SanDisk cards read speed is 40MB/s and my new Kingston one is 90MB/s. Can it be too fast for the drone maybe?
2017-6-1
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

fans516b91ad Posted at 2017-6-1 03:22
SanDisk cards read speed is 40MB/s and my new Kingston one is 90MB/s. Can it be too fast for the drone maybe?

Maybe, it's weird that the drone only accepts certain cards. Might be that the writing speed differs from the reading speed in the Kingston card.
2017-6-1
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

I've had the same problem with a Toshiba class 10 U3 card. See my post below:
"Confident of my knowledge , I bought a 32GB Toshiba UHS-I microSDHC card, class 10 with UHS speed class 3 (see photos). With my huge surprise the card is not recognized by my P3S. I thought it was wrong so I did a test with "H2testw" software but it all ok. Tried on action cam, it works! Tested on a samsung tablet ... it works. Trying on P3S .... it does not work! So I used another 32 GB SD card (Transcend Premium) on the P3S and it works! Anyone can give me an answer?
PS: SD card format in FAT32"
SD cards back_r.jpg
SD cards front_r.jpg
2017-6-1
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

San Disk Ultra and Lexar High Performance 633x cards have both worked great for me
2017-6-1
Use props
fans516b91ad
lvl.1

Lithuania

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-1 03:32
Maybe, it's weird that the drone only accepts certain cards. Might be that the writing speed differs from the reading speed in the Kingston card.

Read speed in Kingston is 90MB/s, write is 45MB/s
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans516b91ad Posted at 2017-6-1 05:21
Read speed in Kingston is 90MB/s, write is 45MB/s

For write speed, it may be a bit on the low end. Really, not all SD cards are created the same and support for all SD card brands can't be guaranteed. If you have a different SD card that works fine, you should go with that one. From what I've seen thus far, no one has had any luck with the Kingston brand.
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-6-1 04:29
I've had the same problem with a Toshiba class 10 U3 card. See my post below:
"Confident of my knowledge , I bought a 32GB Toshiba UHS-I microSDHC card, class 10 with UHS speed class 3 (see photos). With my huge surprise the card is not recognized by my P3S. I thought it was wrong so I did a test with "H2testw" software but it all ok. Tried on action cam, it works! Tested on a samsung tablet ... it works. Trying on P3S .... it does not work! So I used another 32 GB SD card (Transcend Premium) on the P3S and it works! Anyone can give me an answer?
PS: SD card format in FAT32"

Have you checked the read and write speeds of the cards?
2017-6-1
Use props
fans689722dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3623386 ft
Belgium

The last time I went flying I also had that message. Very strange because for almost a year now I've been using that card with no problem. After taking out the card several times it finally accepted it.
2017-6-2
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-1 14:59
Have you checked the read and write speeds of the cards?

Of course, the speeds found are higher than those of the 8GB SD SanDisk Ultra supplied with the P3S.
2017-6-5
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

If i will buy a card for the copter i´ll have a look to the cover of the card. If i can see a copter symbol on the cover then i buy it after a test in the market.
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans689722dd Posted at 2017-6-2 05:38
The last time I went flying I also had that message. Very strange because for almost a year now I've been using that card with no problem. After taking out the card several times it finally accepted it.

Had you checked to see whether the contacts on that SD card to see if they're scratched? For the sake of troubleshooting, had you tried a different SD card to see if it behaved the same way? Just to clarify, were you using a Kingston or a different brand?
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-6-5 09:02
Of course, the speeds found are higher than those of the 8GB SD SanDisk Ultra supplied with the P3S.

As I had mentioned in a previous post, not all brands are guaranteed to work. It takes a bit of trial and error when it's an SD card outside of what's provided. A good amount of Scandisks and Lexar brands work more consistently, but that's all that can be recommended. Just to give it another shot with the P3S, though, try reformatting the SD card to exFAT32 to compensate for the U3 rating and see if there are any changes.
2017-6-5
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-5 12:29
As I had mentioned in a previous post, not all brands are guaranteed to work. It takes a bit of trial and error when it's an SD card outside of what's provided. A good amount of Scandisks and Lexar brands work more consistently, but that's all that can be recommended. Just to give it another shot with the P3S, though, try reformatting the SD card to exFAT32 to compensate for the U3 rating and see if there are any changes.

Thanks Jamie,
I tried reformatting the SD card in exFat32, but it does not work equally.
2017-6-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MaxBDS Posted at 2017-6-6 00:44
Thanks Jamie,
I tried reformatting the SD card in exFat32, but it does not work equally.

Unfortunately it sounds like it's not going to be compatible. It would require for you to look into a different card, but please let me know if you're having issues with cards of the same size and similar speeds that are of the commonly used brands within the community. We'd want to make sure that it's not an overall SD card slot issue.
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules