1721 17 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't usually post very much, but I thought I would kind of make this a blog type post.................anyway.

Got a P4 Pro direct from DJI and received it last Wednesday the 24th.......ordered it on the 20th.....shipping was fast, in fact a lot faster then I expected to be.  Had a lot on the work plate so did not get a chance to even open the P4P until this morning.  Updated the RC, P4P (It was 2 firmware levels behind) and the App with no issues at all....easy peasy.

As I was activating the P4P, I noticed a weird looking shadow on the front of the aircraft.  When I took a closer look after activation I noticed that there was a separation of the upper and lower shell to an extent that I could see the connector tab for the separation spot if I looked at the correct angle (Photo available on request) .

My first inclination was to ignore it and not let it worry me........but I decided I better contact support just in case this was a unit that was not inspected carefully....what else might or might not have slipped by.

I contacted online chat support and after chatting for 25 minutes I was given a case number and an assurance that the unit would be replaced by a new unit or I could get a refund.....I'm sure after I send the one I just got.
Was I put off by the fact that a new P4P had this kind of defect.....maybe a little, but stuff happens, and I figure if this is the worst thing that happens to me this week I'm probably not too bad off.

I will say the guy I chatted with was very friendly and gracious, and while I am still in the preliminary stages of getting this issue resolve, I have to say I've been very pleased so far with the process.

I've only had to use DJI support one time and that was well over a year ago, for a malfunction of a year old P3P.......and the service then was exceptional, in fact they repaired the P3P for free when they could have easily said it was out of warranty..  I'm hoping that this experience will be close to the same.

Ill let you know!
2017-6-1
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Good luck to you! I am following.. It sounds like you had a good customer service rep.. That's the problem with their service is it's a roll of the dice with the customer service reps. You get a good one and they WILL take care of you.. Good luck!
2017-6-1
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

It's my experience that the reps are very friendly and knowledgeable, but somewhat powerless and when (if?) things get slow, they aren't empowered to do much than make a note that you called.
2017-6-1
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-1 11:54
Good luck to you! I am following.. It sounds like you had a good customer service rep.. That's the problem with their service is it's a roll of the dice with the customer service reps. You get a good one and they WILL take care of you.. Good luck!

Update:

To give a timeline, I online chatted with the DJI Representative, and ended the conversation at 1:24 PM Eastern time. Before I signed off the Rep gave me my case # via chat:

At 1:33 PM I got an email from DJI Customer service with my case number and a link to the form I need send in with my P4P.

24 minutes ago at 5:46 I received the Pre-paid UPS label to send the P4P back to them.

So far the process has been really smooth and painless.  They seem to be right on top of things.

Quite frankly,  as many new units they have been shipping out of the Mavic and new Spark, and as many service requests that they get when a new device comes out, I am pleasantly surprised it has been this quick.
Heading to the UPS Store, but I'm sure it wont go out till tomorrow.
2017-6-1
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

That's been my experience thus far. There was a delay with my battery, but it worked out when I said something on here. The moderators do help on here.
2017-6-1
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Based on your description of the defect, I would have simply tried to squeeze the case halves together. If it snapped together OK, I would go flying. If all that was OK, I would just go on with my life and not worry about it.
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for your sharing, which provides us motivation to keep improving! We are always working very hard to provide you all more professional service, thank you again for your support. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-6-1
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-6-1 15:18
Based on your description of the defect, I would have simply tried to squeeze the case halves together. If it snapped together OK, I would go flying. If all that was OK, I would just go on with my life and not worry about it.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried but there was no give whatsoever .........and since it had just come out of the box/container  I was not going to get too enthusiastic .  
Of course, being brand new I was especially not going to take any screws out and try to get it back in place by myself.

Normally I would look at something like that as no big deal, BUT if they have a inspection team; and I'm sure they do for at least a some of the units that go out;   I was wondering if the shell had been screwed down too tight by accident and had gotten  by inspection.
Look, like I said "stuff" happens, even the biggest manufactures have defective units that get out to the customer, so I was really bummed but not upset.......and so far the service/support has been great.

I think DJI makes some really good stuff and this episode has not changed my thinking at all.
2017-6-2
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-6-1 19:28
Thanks for your sharing, which provides us motivation to keep improving! We are always working very hard to provide you all more professional service, thank you again for your support. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.

You know it just occurred to me that this thread should probably be under the "Service" section of the DJI Forum.  Sorry I put it in the wrong place.
2017-6-2
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update ........Today 6-9-17:

As I posted on the 1st, I got a pre-paid shipping label and was not able to ship the P4P until the morning of the second.  
The shipping was ground to California and the P4P arrived yesterday the 8th......took a while to get there but it was from Indiana AND it was free so I'm not complaining.   My example is that if I buy an auto part from a local dealership....any of them, there is a 20% restocking fee if I return the part.....even in the original packaging......so again, no complaints.....shipping was free.
This afternoon I got a email from DJI Support entitled " DJI Product for Exchange Received" with the body of the email stating that:

"The item you sent to DJI for exchange has been received. Your case No. is:

CAS-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

And your exchange is expected to be sent to you in five to seven business days. Please visit our Repair Progress Inquiry website or use the DJI Go app to view the exchange progress. "

There were also all new serial numbers for each of the components that they are sending me.  Now HOPEFULLY they will all be new and not refurbed since I sent in the new P4P within 14 days of buying the aircraft and never did anything but unbox the P4.  If they do that then I will consider this a pain free and excellent experience.

Like I said above......getting a brand new P4P with a sprung shell was no fun....but "stuff" happens even in the best companies.  As many aircraft as they are producing and sending out, that this does not happen more often is something DJI should be proud of.

5 to 7 days till it ships.....I can hardly imagine how many new units they send out every day......it would probably boggle the mind.

So Far So Good!!!!
2017-6-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Tmygun Posted at 2017-6-9 16:17
Update ........Today:

As I posted on the 1st, I got a pre-paid shipping label and was not able to ship the P4P until the morning of the second.  

I'm glad that all things go smoothly by now, we appreciate your patience and your update here. Hope you can get the drone back to fly and enjoy it soon, thanks for your support.
2017-6-10
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Update ........Today 6-15-17:

Just received an email from DJI Support at 3:46 Easter today which is 5 OR 6 business days since I got the last email from support (depending on your view).....which is almost exactly what they said would be the case (see post above).  It said:

"Your product for exchange regarding case No.

CAS-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

has been shipped via UPS and the tracking number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Please use this tracking number to check the delivery status and be advised that UPS may contact you directly."

Like I said in the previous email......if the unit sent is new and not a refurb I will say that this has been a very good experience.  I know some people have said they had issues, but so far;  and this being my second time using support;  it has gone as well as I could possibly expect.

Hopefully I will close this out soon.
2017-6-15
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Final Update........Today 6-21-2017

Received my NEW Phantom 4 Pro via UPS today not more then 15 minutes ago.  New Box, serial number and even stickers on the P4P and wrappers on the RC.

The whole process took 20 days from start to finish, and in every step of the process DJI has been accurate and on time.

I know there are some people that think that 20 (actually 19 since I didn't send it in till the 2nd) days may be too long, but I am not one of them.  While it was not my fault that a P4P was sent to me with a manufacturing defect, I am also sure that DJI did not intend to do the same.  They resolved the issue and sent me a new aircraft just like they said they would and within the time frame they quoted.
   I also understand that they have to get the P4 back to confirm there is a problem, they weren't just gonna send me out a new P4P without verifying my story.....if that were the case they wouldn't be in business very long.
  I can not imagine how many new units they send out on a daily basis not to mention how many units they have to assess for repairs and the like.  I'm sure they are swamped at times and still trying to find the sweet spot for speed and customer service.
   In closing I have to give DJI an huge Thumbs Up for they way they handled my case.
   Keep up the good work everyone!!
2017-6-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Awesome news!! Hopefully your new unit will work out ok for you! Did they ever say what the problem could have been from? How did that get past their inspections??
2017-6-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Tmygun Posted at 2017-6-21 10:55
Final Update........Today 6-21-2017

Received my NEW Phantom 4 Pro via UPS today not more then 15 minutes ago.  New Box, serial number and even stickers on the P4P and wrappers on the RC.

We appreciate your update and positive feedback a lot, which gives us motivation to keep moving. We are so pleased to hear everything turns out to be great, enjoy it and hope you have a good time on flying.
2017-6-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-21 18:27
Awesome news!! Hopefully your new unit will work out ok for you! Did they ever say what the problem could have been from? How did that get past their inspections??

Not really sure except that as many units that they have to get ready this was a cosmetic defect that could have been missed.  It you looked right at the separation was easy to see, BUT if you were looking at it fro above, it could have been missed.
The only theory I heard from an online customer service person was that it might have been damaged during shipping......BUT as well as the P4 is boxed and shipped, I very much doubt that.
Besides I always take pictures of things shipped to me before I open them, for just such a contingency, and the outer box looked just fine.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-21 19:36
We appreciate your update and positive feedback a lot, which gives us motivation to keep moving. We are so pleased to hear everything turns out to be great, enjoy it and hope you have a good time on flying.

Your most welcome....and Thank You for being helpful and positive all the time no matter how difficult/intense the situation might be!
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Tmygun Posted at 2017-6-22 05:46
Your most welcome....and Thank You for being helpful and positive all the time no matter how difficult/intense the situation might be!

You are so welcome, we will keep moving to provide more professional product and service.
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules