Water damage not covered by DJI Care?
11682 30 2017-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jboyer75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34177 ft
United States

A few weeks ago I crashed my Mavic and it came into contact with Salt water. I was bummed, but was glad I had bought the DJI Care Refresh. Sent the drone back for service, and got an email stating that I'd have to pay $798 to get it repaired!

How come I can't use me DJI Care instanfe? According to the website water damage is covered!

My case number is: CAS-666389-D4L3W4

Here is what the website states:

10、My aircraft crashed into water. Will replacement be covered under DJI Care Refresh?
Damage occurring after the product has come into contact with water is covered by the DJI Care Refresh. Product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh.
2017-6-2
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

Where does it say "except salt water"? Come on DJI, do the right thing... it's not hard to treat your customers the way you'd like to be treated yourself. I asked this question when the care refresh service was released. I was very specific and asked about salt water. I was told yes, any type of liquid was covered as long as I was able to return the bird.
2017-6-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Yes, water damage is covered by Care Refresh; it wasn't originally, but has been for the past six months or so. This appears to just be a misunderstanding, and either they don't realize you have Care Refresh or they're giving you the amount it would cost to repair if you don't choose to get one of the Care Refresh replacements you're entitled to.

Either contact their support and work this out or you can wait for one of the DJI employees who participates on this forum to look into it for you and get this cleared up, but one way or the other I'm sure it'll be taken care of before long.
2017-6-2
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

So the repair would cost more than a replacement aircraft?
2017-6-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-2 16:03
So the repair would cost more than a replacement aircraft?

Yes, I've seen an estimate like that before from someone else who also had water damage and no, it doesn't make much sense to offer a repair bill that's higher than the cost of a brand new Mavic. But DJI considers a water damaged aircraft to essentially be a complete loss, and I suppose there is a certain logic to the idea that repairing an existing Mavic would be more expensive than building a new one. It's not unlike when a car gets totaled in a wreck: sometimes it's cheaper just to buy a new one.
2017-6-2
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PM one of the Admin and they will clear it up with their service department.
2017-6-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Boyer, product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh. I've informed the appropriate team to look into this case , hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.
2017-6-2
Use props
Jboyer75
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-6-2 20:11
Hi Boyer, product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh. I've informed the appropriate team to look into this case , hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your help Thor. I received a voicemail saying that they would send me an email with an invoice adjusted for use of my second refresh incidence.

Why was this not offered initially? One would think that if someone has DJI Care that they would want to use an incident rather than pay for almost the full cost of the Mavic Pro.
2017-6-5
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

glad to hear they got you figured out....even if it took some intervention.
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Jboyer75 Posted at 2017-6-5 16:00
Thanks for your help Thor. I received a voicemail saying that they would send me an email with an invoice adjusted for use of my second refresh incidence.

Why was this not offered initially? One would think that if someone has DJI Care that they would want to use an incident rather than pay for almost the full cost of the Mavic Pro.

So glad to hear that, hope you can get a drone back to fly soon.  Normally, we send a repair quotation first, if the customer decided to use the DJI care refresh, then we will send a new quotation.
2017-6-6
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

I feel like I hear more bad things than good about DJI care, but did you get it worked out? In the future if I do happen to get water damage I would like to know if they abide by their own policies
2017-6-6
Use props
Jboyer75
lvl.1
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-6-5 19:50

I'm still waiting for the email with the quote for the DJI care refresh option, instead of paying almost the price of a new drone for the repair!
2017-6-6
Use props
Jboyer75
lvl.1
United States

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-6-6 05:10
I feel like I hear more bad things than good about DJI care, but did you get it worked out? In the future if I do happen to get water damage I would like to know if they abide by their own policies

I've had to ship my Mavic Pro back a number of times (twice for accidental damage, one for a defect), and in my experience the reps here on the forum, and online are very helpful. However what needs to be better are two major things.

1) The time it takes to get service. It takes a very long time to get the drone back from repair, the first time over a month. It takes at least a couple days before they acknowledge that you've sent the drone in, a few days more to evaluate and send you a repair quote, a few days more until they send you an invoice, and finally a few days until they get around to fix the drone, and ship it back.

2) The policy to get you to pay full price for repair, rather than offer you the price to use your DJI care refresh. The first time I damaged my drone, they automatically offered me the lower price to get it fixed ($79), the second time I sent it in, they initially wanted to charge me $698!. It was not until after I inquired that the damage fell under the terms for the DJI care, did they offer me the DJI care price ($129). You would think that any sane person would rather pay the lower price! There was no option in the email to choose.

Hope this gives you insight when you need to send your Drone in for repair. (Notice I said when, not if =)

Jboyer75
2017-6-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'm curious why this is the OP's second Refresh.  
2017-6-6
Use props
Jboyer75
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-6 10:05

Because I used my first refresh when I crashed my Mavic into a tree, and broke the gimbal.

The first refresh is $79. If you damage the drone again, the second is $129. After that, you have to buy a new drone.
2017-6-6
Use props
fans44e3c4a2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50256 ft
Portugal

crashed my spark into water yesterday and its totally damaged :/
I never bought DJI CARE REFRESH, is anything i can do now or just total loss of the drone?
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans44e3c4a2 Posted at 2018-8-12 06:48
crashed my spark into water yesterday and its totally damaged :/
I never bought DJI CARE REFRESH, is anything i can do now or just total loss of the drone?

Hi, sorry on what happened on your aircraft. I would suggest contacting our team for further help, you can sync your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app so that our team can be figured out what happens to the drone why it ended up experiencing a water damage, however, if the issue will be a pilot user, I'm afraid that fixing the drone will be expensive as the internal components experienced a water damage. Please see the details below.

support@dji.com
2018-8-12
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-12 11:33
Hi, sorry on what happened on your aircraft. I would suggest contacting our team for further help, you can sync your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app so that our team can be figured out what happens to the drone why it ended up experiencing a water damage, however, if the issue will be a pilot user, I'm afraid that fixing the drone will be expensive as the internal components experienced a water damage. Please see the details below.

Tony, is water damage due to pilot error covered under Refresh??  It looks like you typed that it wouldn't be!  Thx  Bolton
2018-8-12
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Jboyer75 Posted at 2017-6-6 10:02
I've had to ship my Mavic Pro back a number of times (twice for accidental damage, one for a defect), and in my experience the reps here on the forum, and online are very helpful. However what needs to be better are two major things.

1) The time it takes to get service. It takes a very long time to get the drone back from repair, the first time over a month. It takes at least a couple days before they acknowledge that you've sent the drone in, a few days more to evaluate and send you a repair quote, a few days more until they send you an invoice, and finally a few days until they get around to fix the drone, and ship it back.

I sent in a Phantom 4 Pro + that had camera problems. The day it arrived it was diagnosed and I got statement that it was to be repaired under warranty. 2 days later it was on its way back to me. Total time it was gone was 13 days including shipping from NC to CA and back. Overall, I was very happy with the repair and the time frame.
2018-8-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-6-5 19:50

this is off the subject however I just had to compliment you on your avatar.
2018-8-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

Jboyer75 Posted at 2017-6-6 09:54
I'm still waiting for the email with the quote for the DJI care refresh option, instead of paying almost the price of a new drone for the repair!

my guess is 167.00  let us know when you get their quote.
2018-8-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

Jboyer75 Posted at 2017-6-6 11:51
Because I used my first refresh when I crashed my Mavic into a tree, and broke the gimbal.

The first refresh is $79. If you damage the drone again, the second is $129. After that, you have to buy a new drone.

my first crash cost me 212.00 cdn funds,  was 167.00 US funds, they just sent me a new one, yet the only thing that was damaged was the gimbal and one of the back support leg.  so I never heard about first crash cost or second crash cost.
2018-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Tridiver Posted at 2018-8-12 18:10
Tony, is water damage due to pilot error covered under Refresh??  It looks like you typed that it wouldn't be!  Thx  Bolton

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, if the aircraft experienced a water damage due to a normal use it will be covered by the DJI Care refresh. The replied that I provided is for the other customer who mentioned he was not able to purchase the DJI care refresh prior to the incident. Please keep us posted if you need our help.
2018-8-13
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-6 10:05

I was going to say, if this is the second crash - and last one DJI will cover, I think the OP has a very big decision to make.  It's clear that he's just not getting the part about pilot skills, and probably wasn't cutout to fly a drone.  It might be a good time to sell the drone, and just move on to another hobby before he destroys another.
2018-8-13
Use props
fans5f602ff8
lvl.1

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-6-2 20:11

Can I get some assistance also? Drone dropped into a River a couple of weeks ago -- was told it was covered as I had DJI care refresh at the time (expired now) -- DJI Support said start a case as it would be covered and then sent me a pro-forma invoice for a over 1300 euros -- not what I was told.

Please help.
2019-9-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans5f602ff8 Posted at 9-4 01:49
Can I get some assistance also? Drone dropped into a River a couple of weeks ago -- was told it was covered as I had DJI care refresh at the time (expired now) -- DJI Support said start a case as it would be covered and then sent me a pro-forma invoice for a over 1300 euros -- not what I was told.

Please help.

I am sorry for the late reply. Could you please provide your case number to me so I can check and help? Look forward to hearing back from you.
2019-9-8
Use props
djiuser_5yMm6CTAbv5N
New

United States

I purchased DJI Care refresh and it clearly said water damage is covered . I followed the online instructions and they sent me the mailing address . I shipped the drone and received a 266$ bill for repair saying it's water damaged.  Case number CAS-3994689-L3L2Y9
This is why I got DJI Care for the peace of mind . This is a total scam ...it's still saying on the DJI Care site that water damage is covered . I need this resolved please
2020-3-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_5yMm6CTAbv5N Posted at 3-20 16:00
I purchased DJI Care refresh and it clearly said water damage is covered . I followed the online instructions and they sent me the mailing address . I shipped the drone and received a 266$ bill for repair saying it's water damaged.  Case number CAS-3994689-L3L2Y9
This is why I got DJI Care for the peace of mind . This is a total scam ...it's still saying on the DJI Care site that water damage is covered . I need this resolved please

Hi there, sorry for the confusion, DJI Care Refresh definitely covers water-damaged situation, please double check your quotation email, we have also included the DJI Care Refresh in it, which is right under the repair cost, you could choose to pay for the repair or DJI Care Refresh.
Should you have any other concern, please feel free to keep us updated.
2020-3-20
Use props
djiuser_5yMm6CTAbv5N
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-20 19:18
Hi there, sorry for the confusion, DJI Care Refresh definitely covers water-damaged situation, please double check your quotation email, we have also included the DJI Care Refresh in it, which is right under the repair cost, you could choose to pay for the repair or DJI Care Refresh.
Should you have any other concern, please feel free to keep us updated.

Hi ...I am looking in the email and there is only the Price and a link that takes me to pay the full price or use .... ...I don't see any other option
2020-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_5yMm6CTAbv5N Posted at 3-21 12:37
Hi ...I am looking in the email and there is only the Price and a link that takes me to pay the full price or use .... ...I don't see any other option

I see the DJI Care Refresh quotation has been sent to you separately and you already paid for it, our repair center will take care of it and hope you will get it back soon.
2020-3-22
Use props
mattydccollins
New
Canada

same here! did this ever get resolved?
2020-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules