How to open DNG RAW files in macOS Sierra 10.12.5
9827 11 2017-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

Lately, I'm having issues opening the DNG RAW files from the Mavic on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.5).
Whereas I was able to open them a few months ago without problems in Preview or Photos, I'm now getting the message that "Preview currently does not support this raw file format." Loading the RAW file in Photos gives me a big 'Explanation' warning triangle (however geo-location information of the photo is shown).

Any thoughts how to fix this? I'm unsure if this a Mavic firmware update that caused the RAW files to be unusable on the Mac, or whether it is a Mac update that caused this. Do note that the DNG files from a few months ago taken with the Mavic do still open without problem in Preview or Photos.

2017-6-3
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Well it seems they (that fruity company) don't support it ?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207049
2017-6-4
Use props
octm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84695 ft
United States

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can download the adobe raw camera (https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-r ... g-in-installer.html) even not having any adobe products. So you will be able to see your Raw files
2017-6-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Works fine on my iMac running the same OS version and the latest Mavic firmware.

Try this: Open the Terminal, type mdls and then drag one of the DNG that no longer works for you onto the terminal window and release, then hit Enter and post the results here for us to look at.

The command will look something like the following: mdls /Users/lfrancis/Downloads/DJI_0002.DNG
2017-6-4
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

Thanks for your help guys! Here the result of the mdls analysis for one of the DNG files that does not work anymore:

_kMDItemOwnerUserID            = 501
kMDItemAcquisitionMake         = "DJI"
kMDItemAcquisitionModel        = "FC220"
kMDItemAltitude                = 13.1
kMDItemAperture                = 2.27
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2017-06-03 10:02:09 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2017-06-03 10:02:09 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.adobe.raw-image"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.adobe.raw-image",
    "public.item",
    "public.image",
    "public.data",
    "public.camera-raw-image",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemCreator                 = "v02.02.5629"
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2017-06-04 07:20:43 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "DJI_0111.DNG"
kMDItemEXIFGPSVersion          = "2.3.0.0"
kMDItemEXIFVersion             = "2.3"
kMDItemExposureMode            = 0
kMDItemExposureProgram         = 58655
kMDItemExposureTimeSeconds     = 0.001344
kMDItemFlashOnOff              = 0
kMDItemFNumber                 = 2.2
kMDItemFocalLength             = 4.7
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2017-06-03 10:02:12 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2017-06-03 10:02:08 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "DJI_0111.DNG"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = (null)
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 24288178
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemHasAlphaChannel         = 0
kMDItemISOSpeed                = 100
kMDItemKind                    = "Adobe raw image"
kMDItemLatitude                = 1.253471666666667
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 24288178
kMDItemLongitude               = 103.814025
kMDItemOrientation             = 0
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 24289280
kMDItemPixelCount              = 0
kMDItemRedEyeOnOff             = 0
kMDItemWhiteBalance            = 0
2017-6-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-6-7 05:34
Thanks for your help guys! Here the result of the mdls analysis for one of the DNG files that does not work anymore:

_kMDItemOwnerUserID            = 501

So full details are in this thread, but basically your Mavic isn't creating DNG with all the required DNG metadata, so apps that expect important hinting data like colordepth and size will choke.

The OP in the linked thread had to send his Mavic back for a replacement. Now, his Mavic was always that way, and it sounds like yours just started acting up. I'd consider rolling back to an earlier firmware and then reinstalling the latest, perhaps your most recent upgrade got a bit munged.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2017-6-7
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-7 06:00
So full details are in this thread, but basically your Mavic isn't creating DNG with all the required DNG metadata, so apps that expect important hinting data like colordepth and size will choke.

The OP in the linked thread had to send his Mavic back for a replacement. Now, his Mavic was always that way, and it sounds like yours just started acting up. I'd consider rolling back to an earlier firmware and then reinstalling the latest, perhaps your most recent upgrade got a bit munged.

Thanks Ex Machina!

Using the Adobe DNG Converter I'm able to convert and open the files. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix this, but for now I'm good.

Thanks!
2017-6-9
Use props
BePop63
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1037 ft
Finland

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-6-9 07:24
Thanks Ex Machina!

Using the Adobe DNG Converter I'm able to convert and open the files. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix this, but for now I'm good.

Hi, For me this problem with RAW (.DNG) files came after upgrading the latest firmware couple of days ago. Old RAW files works fine in Mac Sierra with Preview and Pixelmator, but now new ones don't. They open only black  window in Preview and Pixelmator. In Finder file preview also shows picture fine.
2017-6-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

BePop63 Posted at 2017-6-11 03:54
Hi, For me this problem with RAW (.DNG) files came after upgrading the latest firmware couple of days ago. Old RAW files works fine in Mac Sierra with Preview and Pixelmator, but now new ones don't. They open only black  window in Preview and Pixelmator. In Finder file preview also shows picture fine.

Same advice -- I'd consider rolling back to an earlier firmware and then reinstalling the latest. Without the correct metadata apps expecting missing values are going to do weird things if they don't completely choke.
2017-6-12
Use props
Andicot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1137044 ft
Italy

I rolling back to .550 and again updated to .800 with DJI Assistant 2 but the problem is not solved.
2017-6-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

All, the issue with opening .0800 DNG in Preview, Quick Look or Finder Column view previews showing black is a new and different issue, unrelated to missing metadata -- see this thread for details.
2017-6-12
Use props
Toto Venti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29911 ft
Italy

I know it sounds strange but there seems to be a correlation between day and night photos.
Since the FW 800 and then with the DNG 2.07.498 and 2.07.498 codecs there is always the problem of black preview on Mac, daytime DNGs are regularly opened by Photoshop and Lightroom, while those taken in the evening have problems probably In metadata and are not imported.
Other software like Affinity instead import everything with no problem but it is clear that the codec has something that does not go.
The DNG codec without any problem is 2.06.484, that is, firmware 700.
2017-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules