P2V+ SUBMERGED
3012 26 2014-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

Had to fish it from the bottom of a river.  Sick to my stomach.  Anyone who's been through this have any advice or know of what I can expect having to replace no matter what?
2014-10-12
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Ouch..I know that feeling all too well. Well, at least it's not salt water - that's pretty much sudden death.
Best thing to do in a fresh water drop is to disconnect all power (obviously) open her up and clean out any dirt/grime you can.

Afterwards, sit in in a large back of uncooked rice for 3 days to really dry it out.
Then put it back together and turn it on. You may get lucky and everything works.
If not, you could at least use what IS working as replaceable parts.
2014-10-12
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-13 06:10
Ouch..I know that feeling all too well. Well, at least it's not salt water - that's pretty much sudd ...

Thank you.  Yes it's all in rice now.  Were you able to get yours back in the air?  And if so how was the salvage?
2014-10-12
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
Singapore

Well I fell my P2V+ in the river at Seoul, Korea and i just dried and it works fine now
2014-10-12
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-13 06:51
Thank you.  Yes it's all in rice now.  Were you able to get yours back in the air?  And if so how  ...

Not my Phantom 2 but my Phantom 1 had a spill in a large pond 6 months ago. Removed the battery and took it apart. Cleaned it out and let it dry for a few days..one of the motors had issues but after replacing it, all was well.
Threw the battery away though - was already a bit swollen.
I think it really depends on how long it was submerged and how much "grime" got in.

Let us know how it works out.
2014-10-12
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Sorry to hear that, you'd better send the Phantom back for check and repair.
2014-10-13
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-13 17:59
Sorry to hear that, you'd better send the Phantom back for check and repair.

To DJI or the retailer?  Are all retailers repairers as well?
2014-10-13
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

United States

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-13 19:22
To DJI or the retailer?  Are all retailers repairers as well?

Please contact the dealer first.
2014-10-13
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-13 19:26
Please contact the dealer first.

Is DJI aware of any flaws that could cause my drone to tumble from the sky without coming into contact with anything?  I'm out a pretty expensive piece of equipment when I was flying in GPS mode. Fortunately it wasn't onto a person.  
2014-10-13
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

I know the feeling. Happened to me (with other quadcopters not Phantom)  and this is what I did.  I dismantled the quadcopter cleaned all the gunk off it and then placed everything into a bag of rice for a week. Pulled it out and presto it worked. I also have another quadcopter fall into the ocean. I took that home and washed everything in fresh water (it was already wet so couldn't make it worse), placed it all into a bag of rice for a week and the only thing I lost was two ESC. Both times my GoPro 3 went into the water as well (without a cover) and both times it has come back to life. No guarantee it will work but give it a try.
Can you advise what happened to make it end up in the river?
Good luck with everything.
2014-10-13
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

dobie123@bigpon Posted at 2014-10-14 06:05
I know the feeling. Happened to me (with other quadcopters not Phantom)  and this is what I did.  I  ...

Was hovering above a small dam to set up a shot and with no warning it tumbled from roughly 30 feet above the water.  Like I said in a post earlier, looked like it was shot out of the sky.  
2014-10-13
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

dobie123@bigpon Posted at 2014-10-14 06:05
I know the feeling. Happened to me (with other quadcopters not Phantom)  and this is what I did.  I  ...

What other quadcopter brands are you into? What would you say is comparable to the Vision+?
2014-10-13
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

Was hovering above a small dam to set up a shot and with no warning it tumbled from roughly 30 feet above the water.  Like I said in a post earlier, looked like it was shot out of the sky.  

Sorry, didn't see that bit. All of my other multi rotors are home-made jobs. Comparable to Phantom? no not really - totally different. I enjoy spending a day building a four, six or eight rotor and then going flying. Most fo the time they end up in a crumpled heap because I'm doing something stupid (not illegal or dangerous) with it, but that's part of the fun. Usually its a few broken arms and when I have ended up in the drink the odd ESC. The reason I purchased a Phantom is because the price is now comparable to building one from scratch and the ground station software is pretty good. That was until I broke the gimbal then it became expensive.

Check this one out. Talk about bad luck - at lease I found a free ball in the deal, though wading into the swamp on a cold day was no fun.
I was using a dodgy RX and must have lost the connection
2014-10-13
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

Give the rice bag a crack and let us know you you go.
2014-10-13
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-14 05:31
Is DJI aware of any flaws that could cause my drone to tumble from the sky without coming into con ...

Out of control? Have you checked the battery capacity?
2014-10-14
Use props
c00lJoe
New

United States

dobie123@bigpon Posted at 2014-10-14 15:01
Sorry, didn't see that bit. All of my other multi rotors are home-made jobs. Comparable to Phantom? ...

Hi dobie123,

I am thinking about buying a Phantom Vision+ but was wondering, can the camera setup be added to the Phantom 2 at a later time to just see how well the craft flies without spending too much money? With the Phantom Vision+, isn't that a Phantom 2 with the camera added to it by the factory?

Thanks for you suggestions.
C00lJoe
2014-10-14
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-15 09:57
Out of control? Have you checked the battery capacity?

It was at least at 50%.  Nowhere near its return to home setting.
2014-10-15
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-15 19:36
It was at least at 50%.  Nowhere near its return to home setting.

You can check the battery information to make sure the battery is performing well. Also, please follow the instructions for battery maintenance.
2014-10-16
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

Well an update... she flew today.  However it is inaccessible from the app.  It also didn't find the satellites, either that or it just can't go into GPS mode.  Also, the rear esc lost its green light.  I'll probably repair it but in terms of speed control it's working.  Lastly, it's in NAZA mode, or was before I crashed it.  However the S1 and S2 switches appear to do nothing now.  What are your thoughts?
2014-10-16
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-16 16:52
You can check the battery information to make sure the battery is performing well. Also, please fo ...

I'm not sure how I would check how the battery is performing, it's shot it was underwater.  This unit is barely a month old.  I would hope that in that span the battery is in good condition.  Very frustrated.  Was going to buy a second for my son but I may look elsewhere.  
2014-10-16
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

c00lJoe Posted at 2014-10-15 11:11
Hi dobie123,

I am thinking about buying a Phantom Vision+ but was wondering, can the camera setup ...

c00lJoe the gimbal/camera isn't interchangeable between different Phantoms. The Vision+ setup is pretty much a one piece set. I believe the P2V+ can't even fly without the camera/gimbal connected. Any P2V+ owners please correct me if I'm wrong here.
2014-10-16
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Dude literally dives it into saltwater and it's still spinning!
In an ideal world, right?
2014-10-16
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-17 11:12
Waterproof Phantom

Dude literally dives it into saltwater and it's still spinning!

Any thoughts on the issues I described?
2014-10-17
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-17 19:22
Any thoughts on the issues I described?

I'm wondering if something's wrong with the forum, your post about flying wasn't there when I commented.

Anyway, I know it doesn't feel like it but that's really good news.I don't have the P2V+ so my knowledge on the app is limited but let's start from the source.
GPS: Does it hold? When you're in GPS mode, does it lock in place?
If so, then the GPS seems to be working so that's not the issue. If it's struggling to stay in place or drifting in calm winds it may need to be replaced. It may be something simple - loose GPS cable.
The ESC is obviously working or you wouldn't be in the air so reordering a replacement LED would be an easy fix..but with those specific ESCs it may be easier to just replace the whole ESC.

Now the app..I'm not so sure how it works but given that it's run on WiFi I'm assuming the app says it can't see the Phantom? The Assistant software should have settings to configure the camera or at least detect it and verify it's still functioning.

Does the camera self level when powered on? Are the gimbal motors still functioning?

2014-10-18
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-18 16:10
I'm wondering if something's wrong with the forum, your post about flying wasn't there when I comme ...

It seems to hold position well and regains more functionality daily.  Previously in NAZA mode the S1 and S2 didn't do anything.  After playing with the assistant software they now function as they should.  

You are correct, the app does say that it can't connect to the phantom.  This isn't just the picture, the telemetry data is greyed out as well.  The module itself gets very warm as I was informed it should.  I tried the binding process half a dozen times.  It doesn't give me any errors but it doesn't end up connecting either.  

The gimbal wakes up and for the most part stands at attention.  It's more of a 45 degree angle than 90.  And unfortunately the assistant software, as far as I can tell, provides no option to access the camera.  A new module is about $200 so I'd like to be sure it's the culprit.
2014-10-18
Use props
PhantomKnowledg
New

United States

mgrapoport@yaho Posted at 2014-10-19 04:38
It seems to hold position well and regains more functionality daily.  Previously in NAZA mode the  ...

mgrapoport

Concerning the camera with no picture, many people are struggling with this problem.   I often have this problem but eventually I am always able to get a picture.  

First, when I want to use the Phantom, in my iPhone, in Settings under Cellular,  I turn off Cellular Data.  Try that to see if it solves the problem.  

If the above does not work I power down my phone.  Yes, it is a pain, but it has worked for me every time -- accept once.  After powering the phone up again and reconnecting I almost always get a picture.  

2014-10-18
Use props
mgrapoport
lvl.1

United States

PhantomKnowledg Posted at 2014-10-19 05:00
mgrapoport

Concerning the camera with no picture, many people are struggling with this problem.   ...

Thanks for the reply I'll give it a shot, but I am not very hopeful.  My phantom was under 5 feet of water.  I think I have a hardware issue to work out.

It's not just being able to see the camera, it's also connecting to the Phantom at all.  I get no telemetry data either, nor am I able to access the SD card.  

Are you able to do those things before turning off your phone?
2014-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules