Warning to experienced Phantom/Inspire users who own a new MAVIC
674 9 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

With the Phantom series and Inspire series, you have to be outside of a 20 meter (65 foot) radius for it to rise up and return to home, within that distance it will just try to land.. The Mavic on the other hand is set to only 5 meters (16 feet). You would think that all the DJI drones behave similarly but they don't. My friend just crashed his Mavic because it rose up under his patio because the battery was getting low (he took off in his driveway and had a low battery RTH). At first we though shouldn't have done that - until I read the Mavic manual (I have a P4 and P4P so I had never read the manual)..

This all goes back to RTFM I know, but seriously.. Does anyone know why DJI chose these different set of paremeters?  
2017-6-7
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Czechia

He could have simply cancelled the RTH. Why didn't he do it?
2017-6-7
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

because he didn't read the manual. hehe. between 5m and 20m distance it will only rise to 10m.
2017-6-7
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-7 05:27

Maybe he didn't have time?   "it rose up under his patio"
2017-6-7
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2017-6-7 05:45

Yeah, and he's new to it as well. But I would still like to know why there's a difference between the models. Seems strange.
2017-6-7
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-7 05:27

I think that by the time he realized it started rising up he panicked and couldn't react in time and it hit the ceiling.. It didn't damage it, but it did scare him.. If it had been a Phantom that wouldn't have happened at all.

I knew and had read the manual myself when I first got my Phantom, but during on of my first flights I decided to try out the RTH feature and I was about 20 feet out and was confused when it just landed in the grass (thank goodness) - I went blank when it started descending (didn't even know at the time that you could push up on the throttle to stop it). He thought he was being safe flying low and at home, but I did tell him he needs to pick up more experience in a field or open area somewhere.
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

3 meter to 20 meter for spark, if your flying lower that 2.5 mete and within this distance of 3meter to 20 meter it will rise to 2.5meter and return home.

So a lot different for spark as well.
2017-6-7
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

thanks for the headsup.
2017-6-7
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Canada

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2017-6-7 05:45

Before the RTH it will still give you  time to cancel before it starts. If he panicked then he learned his lesson for next time lucky for him it wasn't under a  GLASS GRENHOUSE.

If you want to play under the patio or under something you better put it to HOVER.
2017-6-10
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-7 06:33
I think that by the time he realized it started rising up he panicked and couldn't react in time and it hit the ceiling.. It didn't damage it, but it did scare him.. If it had been a Phantom that wouldn't have happened at all.

I knew and had read the manual myself when I first got my Phantom, but during on of my first flights I decided to try out the RTH feature and I was about 20 feet out and was confused when it just landed in the grass (thank goodness) - I went blank when it started descending (didn't even know at the time that you could push up on the throttle to stop it). He thought he was being safe flying low and at home, but I did tell him he needs to pick up more experience in a field or open area somewhere.

Very good advice. Also let him practice in the academy.  A lot of people discount practicing in the academy. I practiced every maneuvers and every situation before I went outside, like you said OPEN FIELD, kept practicing on everything.

Like I said, he learned his lesson the hard way and hopefully will make him be a better pilot.

2017-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules