Expierences while flying your mavic on a boat? Good? Bad?
1322 4 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

I am taking my drone to the Virgin Islands, and we are renting a boat for just our family and our family friends for a cruise for a couple of weeks, I want to get some shots of the boat from the mavic, but I heard that sometimes the boats gps stuff will mess with the drone, has anyone else had expierences with this? Have you ever flown your drone on a boat? What expierences did you have? And reconemdations for me when I do the flight? Things to watch out for? Thanks so much!
2017-6-7
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

Flying Mavic + moving boat =  almost impossible to land unless the boat is huge with a large space to land.  Boat needs to be fully anchored or you will have trouble landing
2017-6-7
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

13MStang Posted at 2017-6-7 18:40
Flying Mavic + moving boat =  almost impossible to land unless the boat is huge with a large space to land.  Boat needs to be fully anchored or you will have trouble landing

Manually? Or do you mean by return to home
2017-6-7
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79219 ft
Australia

Haven't had any problems with boat GPS signals interfering, and they shouldn't (no different to every car and phone that has GPS in them, and they're everywhere).  My tips are:
- Watch out for wind - landing isn't too hard on the boat (or preferably hand catch) if moving, but if there is wind that will significantly add to the challenge.
- Return to home:  Beware - if your Mavic is configured to return to home if it loses signal, it will return to where it took off (unless you've re-set home location to your current position).  Unless moored, your boat will have moved, so the drone may return to where you aren't
- Floatation - if you have DJI Care, and your mavic drops/gets taken out by a mast/bird/bolt of lightning) then Mavics don't float, and if you don't have it, DJI Care Refresh won't replace it.  There are various solutions out there, including the getterback line to pull it up, and some terrible looking floats for the legs.
- Leave plenty of spare battery for landings, or unexpected breezes - don't run down to minimum
2017-6-7
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be sure to turn off "Smart Return Home" if flying from moving boat.  Set the drone to "hover" if lost connection if flying from moving boat.  Always launch and catch from stern of boat.  Disable VPS and be sure to land in Sport mode if catching from front.  Never launch at high speed from boat and always hand launch/catch.  Be sure to recalibrate your Mavic's IMU and GPS on arrival at the hotel before getting on a boat.  The ocean is a difficult environment to fly, but, the rewards are great.

Pensi Schooner in Komodo National Park.

Pensi Schooner in Komodo National Park.
2017-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules