Do You Use Return to Home or Do You Manually Land
892558 892558 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

Just wondering what other people do, I personally always manually since I usually fly when I can always see my drone/know where it is and I always feel more comfortable manually landing it
Single SelectVote, Total 605 people participate in voting

Distance end of: 29877 Day12 Hour9 Min

Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-6-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Catch land for me.
Pull the Mavic into about head height and approach from the side and grab the undercarraige and pull down on the left stick.
The blades will thank you for it and it can decrease risk of getting contaminants (sand/dirt etc) in motors.
So i voted #3
2017-6-7
Use props
Ron in Utah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10902 ft
United States

Manual landing. I have several hours of experience flying DIY quadcopter in "atti" mode and can fly pretty good LOS. With full GPS positioning it is almost too easy. That said, I do plan to test RTH at some point, but the last time I tried it, the Go 4 app crashed right when I pressed the RTH button on the remote.
2017-6-7
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I RTH when in a clean surroundings and hand catch when in a sketchy place.   
2017-6-7
Use props
VMav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76814 ft
United States

I like flying (though recent DJI offerings are for aerophoto/video work mostly).  So, I voted #2
2017-6-7
Use props
Iamz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

Both. I use RTH to start the return trip and monitor the video feed, telemetries, and look at it to make sure there's nothing close by. Once it's about to descend, I take over and land manually.
2017-6-7
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Normally RTH because I’m lazy. But always keep an eye on it. Had the odd occasion I’ve had no choice to manually land due to Compass error or something else that prevented a safe RTH.
It’s worth noting that these pilots who insist on going beyond VLS and behind obstacles will fall foul of an automatic Atti mode switch one day.
2017-6-7
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

I always land manually. Two reasons for this.
1. Giving full control to the Mavic scares the hell out of me.
2. Even though I've set my return altitude to 40 meters, I'm still concerned it won't be high enough. (We don't have tall trees where I live)

Quick question.
When I set the RTH altitude am I correct in saying I am at zero?
If this is the case, If I then increase my altitude to fly up hill, when I press RTH will it then descend into the hill on return or will it stay at that altitude all the way home?
I hope I've explained that properly.

Thank you
2017-6-7
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I can land and takeoff manually but use auto takeoff and RTH. I figured I paid for a drone with this technology and I am going to use it.
2017-6-7
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-6-7 21:48
I can land and takeoff manually but use auto takeoff and RTH. I figured I paid for a drone with this technology and I am going to use it.

Me the same, I always flew my phantom back and hand catched but with the Mavic I use rth and auto land. Only done about 50 and so far all good.
2017-6-7
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-6-7 20:39
2. Even though I've set my return altitude to 40 meters, I'm still concerned it won't be high enough. (We don't have tall trees where I live)

the mavic won't descend on rth, if the mavic is above the RTH altitude, it will stay on that level.
2017-6-8
Use props
afisch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353146 ft
Switzerland

A litte bit of both, but normally i use RTH but always watch the mavic and have the finger ready to press pause and be ready take over the controls.
2017-6-8
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

afisch Posted at 2017-6-8 00:54
A litte bit of both, but normally i use RTH but always watch the mavic and have the finger ready to press pause and be ready take over the controls.

+1....same here, finger on sport mode just in case.
2017-6-8
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-6-8 03:31
+1....same here, finger on sport mode just in case.

I've generally only used RTH as a test over my 7 years of flying multi-rotors but the Mavic is steadily making me a lazy lander . It's cool to see the Mavic precision land within millimeters of where it took off from , often down to the exact footprint of its landing skids .  I do keep a close eye on the telemetry though.
2017-6-8
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Here's a vid I made recently doing a RTH w/ Precision Landing @ 85m high (RTH set Alt).

2017-6-8
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mostly manual, with hand catch out in the country. Sometimes use RTH if I just want to fly it back and while it's doing that, busy myself packing up my stuff, taking control when I'm finished, for the landing.
2017-6-8
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

In many cases, automated landing (as from RTH) would risk damage since I take off and land in rugged terrain with no good landing spot.  In that situation,  I have no choice but to hand catch.  
2017-6-8
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-6-7 20:39

Yes at the place where the "lovely lady" says your home point is located, the height is always 0 meters on the point. Then you just put the RTH height larger than houses, trees, hills / mountains around you. My RTH height is typically set to 40 meters, so I'm sure my Mavic does not hit anything around here in RTH mode where I fly.

If you do not use RTH, you will never learn to use the function. Remember, you can always interrupt the RTH with the cansel button on the controller. Personally, I let my Mavic fly home by itself  in 95% of all my landings. I have never been afraid of the function since it works every time.

Mavic will:

1. Increase to the RTH height if the flight height < than the RTH height you have set and land vertically at home point .

2. Flying home to home point at the flight height it has when the flight height is > than the RTH height set and land vertically at home point.

Hope my miserable English helps you. Leif.
2017-6-8
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-6-8 00:42
the mavic won't descend on rth, if the mavic is above the RTH altitude, it will stay on that level.

Thank you.
I may try RtH one day
2017-6-8
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I want every minute of battery juice use for flying myself.
2017-6-8
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

I have yet to use RTH or Auto-Takeoff... I should probably test them out, but need to go to a wide open space. I of course prefer to do everything manually, but it'll be a nice comfort that it works if I ever actually need it.

I tried out the Hangar360 App to take a 360deg photo and it was very nerve racking giving the app full control over the Mavic for ~5 mins... lol. I've also used Litchi to set up a 10 min Waypoint flight and definitely needed a drink once it returned, although I could see it 95% of the time. I had looked down at my phone at one point when it was at the furthest distance and when I looked back for it, I couldn't find it.
2017-6-8
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-6-8 04:00
Here's a vid I made recently doing a RTH w/ Precision Landing @ 85m high (RTH set Alt).

RTH Precision Landing

Yes, pretty amazing. As I usually fly off grass and it is wet of a morning I always want to takeoff and land on a landing pad and the Mavic has always landed right on the spot, far more accurate than I can get. Never seen it more than about an inch out.
2017-6-8
Use props
DwoneFlyer
lvl.1

Sweden

I tried RTH once but clicked RTNT (return to nearest tree) by accident, worked well. i call user error on that one - lol {:4_181:}

now where did i put the manual !
2017-6-9
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Iamz Posted at 2017-6-7 20:07
Both. I use RTH to start the return trip and monitor the video feed, telemetries, and look at it to make sure there's nothing close by. Once it's about to descend, I take over and land manually.

Ditto      
2017-6-9
Use props
fans84c15d2d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 329154 ft
New Zealand

I prefer to fly it rather than press a button. More fun for me. However i do check that it works once in a while.
2017-6-9
Use props
fans8e7a06e5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122831 ft
France

Auto takeoff then manual landing with hand catch from time to time.
2017-6-9
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

99% RTH very rarely land manual
2017-6-9
Use props
spoonlamp_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 301506 ft
Romania

I always hit RTH initially and get it on the way, but will switch to manual once it starts the descent - it's just too slow. Also I've been hand launching and catching all the time lately.
2017-6-9
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
Flight distance : 12224 ft
United States

manually land
2017-6-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't really trust RTH
2017-6-10
Use props
Nephroghost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200456 ft
United States

Had my Mavic a week- flown daily and still haven't used RTH.  Manual landing for me.
2017-6-15
Use props
fansc73d3cec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33570 ft
Australia

Had my mavic 6 months now and never used rth. I have to give it a try but havnt yet
2017-6-15
Use props
M Power
New
South Korea

RTH is providing comfort to beginner...but wehn i'get accustomed to mavic..manual seems like more natural and feels safe to me.
2017-6-15
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

I only used RTH once, just to see how well it worked. Generally I just prefer to land it myself.
2017-6-15
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Land it myself, if the landing area is unsuitable I will hand catch it.
2017-6-16
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only time I land manually is when I'm low on battery and bring it in nose first and land at my feet quickly.
2017-6-16
Use props
Broken Deviant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176919 ft
United States

I have used both but most of the time I do Manual landing. Most of my flights are from my front yard and with my lot full of trees, I have to keep a close eye on it.
2017-6-16
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Manual take-off and landing... last time low battery and MP started RTH by itself...
2017-6-16
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly my copters, not the other ways around. Damn it, Jim! I am a pilot, not a button pusher.
2017-6-16
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I personally fly home and fly it, watched a youtube video the other day and apparently a tip for using RTH is when you take off ascend to 20 or so feet and hover there for 5 seconds, the Mavic will take a picture below it and when you press RTH next time it will remember the exact location it took off from, and if you use one of these http://amzn.to/2tpDrsj it differentiates the surrounding area to the take off spot and will allow the Mavic to return to home point more accurately.  
2017-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules