17366 198 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manual almost exclusively. RTH when the situation is tenuous. (Low battery, etc).
2018-8-5
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

manual land and always hand catch
2018-8-6
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Only use RTH when I am showing freinds, otherwise I would rather control my MP.
2018-8-6
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

I think manually 99% of the time
2018-8-7
Use props
Lonesome Crow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

Oh, I manually land.  I am usually walking around.  One to keep an eye on the drone due to my changing location of the picture/video I am taking, and two, I might not be any where near where I originally launch from.
2018-8-11
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Hand catch most of the time to avoid getting dust or water into the drone.

Failing that RTH or manual, depends what mood im in.  If its windy i'll probably use manual so i can judge the wind and make alterations if needed.

Ultimately you dont "fly" a mavic.  It requires no flying skills or even flying knowledge.  So landing isn't a case of keeping skills sharp as it requires no skills.  So automated v manual makes no difference in normal conditions.
2018-8-12
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

99.9% of the time I return and land manually.
I only use RTH once in awhile to test the feature.
2018-8-12
Use props
Tahoe Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122215 ft
United States

Hand land 90% of the time. Most of the time I am either on a kayak or in the snow. Sometimes I will land on the ground if I have enoug space and a good mat down but I try to keep it off the ground to not kick up dust. Gets tough on the water if you start drifting. Makes for quite the challenge.
2018-11-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Normally manually for me, but if I'm flying against the sun and it's hard to look at the drone against the bright sunlight, I'll start the RTH process and then cancel and land manually.
2019-6-5
Use props
fans916b9a99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I generally manually land.   I just got the Mavic 2 zoom yesterday.  I've had a P3P for years.  I get a little frustrated with the pause 2 min off the ground when landing manually!  
2019-6-8
Use props
fans916b9a99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I generally manually land.   I just got the Mavic 2 zoom yesterday.  I've had a P3P for years.  I get a little frustrated with the pause 2 min off the ground when landing manually!  
2019-6-8
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2019-6-8
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I used to just manual but now I just hands-off RTH and then manual 3rd person spot the landing but if I'm looking down w/ the camera and it's not going to hit anything I just do nothing and it's good.  If you can't trust your drone, you cannot work properly.

It takes so much time to come down even at 3 or 4m/s.  It's boring.  The only things you really should be doing when flying is getting to the location safely and setting up the shot.  Coming back and landing should be safe with RTH as it stays that altitude and heads back.  If you lose connection, I find it traces the flight path it came in and follows it but this happened w/ the Mavic 2 when I flew around the Revel building in Atlantic City and lost connection Instantly.  I'm not sure if the P4P V2.0 does the same or the Spark.  I don't "test" these systems like that.  I couldn't see the Mavic 2 feed for at least 10 seconds.  It was scary.  The video on the drone showed it where it's going back that way (I thought the compass calibration on part 2 was wrong) and a video showed it would go back the same route.  As for the APAS systems, my RTH altitude is always higher than the tallest obstacle between me and it.  I always stop to set that up before really heading out.
2019-6-8
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

I always land manual,  i just hate the beeping with rth
2019-6-9
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Mostly manual, but when I feel lazy I press the RTH and watch the drone return safe.
When using RTH I find myself stopping it when the drone is ready to descend just to take control and land it manually.
2019-6-9
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Manual, main reason the RTH noise is super annoying
2019-6-10
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I heard if you press the RTH button again or the power button it turns off the RTH beep.. I don't mind the beep as it makes me pay attention.  Landing has OA turned off I think.  If you slack off and other things not knowing the landing correction was incorrect, it could be gone forever.
2019-6-10
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Most of the time manual. Sometimes I start RTH to get the drone pointed towards me and then interupt and get it in manually.
2019-6-10
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-8 22:10
I used to just manual but now I just hands-off RTH and then manual 3rd person spot the landing but if I'm looking down w/ the camera and it's not going to hit anything I just do nothing and it's good.  If you can't trust your drone, you cannot work properly.

It takes so much time to come down even at 3 or 4m/s.  It's boring.  The only things you really should be doing when flying is getting to the location safely and setting up the shot.  Coming back and landing should be safe with RTH as it stays that altitude and heads back.  If you lose connection, I find it traces the flight path it came in and follows it but this happened w/ the Mavic 2 when I flew around the Revel building in Atlantic City and lost connection Instantly.  I'm not sure if the P4P V2.0 does the same or the Spark.  I don't "test" these systems like that.  I couldn't see the Mavic 2 feed for at least 10 seconds.  It was scary.  The video on the drone showed it where it's going back that way (I thought the compass calibration on part 2 was wrong) and a video showed it would go back the same route.  As for the APAS systems, my RTH altitude is always higher than the tallest obstacle between me and it.  I always stop to set that up before really heading out.

Agree that the return flight can be boring if there's nothing you want to video on the way back, but hitting the RTH button just makes it more boring. I'm not going to hit RTH and then go have lunch before my drone has landed. I'm still watching to make sure everything works properly, but now I have absolutely nothing to do. I think that the loud beeping (even though you can disable it) indicate that the feature was intended to be a failsafe, not an all done button.
2019-6-10
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft

I Manually Land
2019-9-28
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft

I usually land manually as its fun to fly the drone but when being approached by members of the public etc it can be a real help, on one flight I managed to get a fly in my eye, it was a real help then.
2019-9-29
Use props
ririlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879154 ft

I use RTH when i'm lazy or the sun is in my face so I can't see the AC. But I always land manually.
2019-9-29
Use props
Stryker03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206345 ft

I usually take off manually , confirm controls in all dimensions and directions then fly off. I am just impressed with the technology so I like to watch it. About 50% of the time I will take over on descent and manually land  
2019-9-29
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft

Usually do the manual landing.  I also like to catch land when I can, it's just something cool about that.
2019-10-1
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

RTH takes to long. How hard is it to follow the green line home????
2019-10-18
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iamz Posted at 2017-6-7 20:07
Both. I use RTH to start the return trip and monitor the video feed, telemetries, and look at it to make sure there's nothing close by. Once it's about to descend, I take over and land manually.

This is what I do most of the time. RTH is a little slow. ( But probably cautious)
2019-10-20
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

BigBird2 Posted at 10-20 16:48
This is what I do most of the time. RTH is a little slow. ( But probably cautious)

Since buying the Mavic 2 Pro - only manual. Hand-land if there's nowhere safe and clean to land.
With the Spark I used to have, I used RTH during communication breakups, which happened quite often.
2019-10-23
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

At early stage, I started to use RTH only and it  was oddly satisfying and somehow entertaining  to see the aircraft heading back to home to the point where she took off  then recently I realised  using manuel landing more and more,  don't  know why but may be when you feel more  confident ,you want  dominantly control of your aircraft
2019-10-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

the point of using and keep using RTH often is so you get comfort with it and it doesn't turn into some emergency mode only.  so i use it often, very often.  unfortunately my drone seems to "get lost" quite often and i end up using RTH but when it's near, i take over and land it myself; often cancelling out just within range.  not sure if people don't know this (because it sounds like they don't) but you can tap RTH and still fly fast.  RTH gives me a chance to prepare my next battery and do some things locally because flying on that battery i've decided is done.  but....i find myself landing manually 75% of the time and RTH about 25% of the time.  i don't count abort RTH landings that will miss the pad as manual.

all of my saved waypoint routes use RTH when done.  to me, RTH set and working properly and tested often is the only way i can fly the drone the way i do.  i know where that button (and the pause button) is located instinctively.  if you don't have the sc, you can cancel the noise; nobody should listen to that.
2019-10-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I prefer to manually land,  the precision landing feature was a draw when I was picking a drone but now I don't really use it.
2019-10-24
Use props
djiuser_aOg7rmqu24ji
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34984 ft

United States

I usually hit RTH, but take control and manually land once I have enough of a visual to get the orientation of the drone.

I also fly from my boat, so unaided RTH is not usable, since the boat is more than like not at the RTH spot. When I do fly from the boat, I am not running the boat, so I’m reasonably close. In the unlikely scenario where the transmitter fails, I don’t want to be hundreds of yards away when it decides to land in the water.
2021-5-20
Use props
djiuser_aOg7rmqu24ji
lvl.1

United States

Combination of RTH with final descent and landing manually. I fly from my boat frequently, and fully automated RTH would result in a splashdown.
2021-5-20
Use props
djiuser_aOg7rmqu24ji
lvl.1

United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-20 10:17
I personally fly home and fly it, watched a youtube video the other day and apparently a tip for using RTH is when you take off ascend to 20 or so feet and hover there for 5 seconds, the Mavic will take a picture below it and when you press RTH next time it will remember the exact location it took off from, and if you use one of these http://amzn.to/2tpDrsj it differentiates the surrounding area to the take off spot and will allow the Mavic to return to home point more accurately.

Have you tested this? Sounds like just what I need when flying from my boat.
2021-5-20
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Wow!  Old thread dug back up!
I use the RTH functionality regularly, but normally abort the RTH when it gets close and land manually - either hand catch or land on a hard surface (depends on where I am).  One of the reasons for regular use of RTH is that I have terrible WiFi interference in the area around my home, so loss of signal initiated RTH is common.  Normally once I get close and regain signal, I cancel the RTH and either continue flying or land myself.
2021-5-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_aOg7rmqu24ji Posted at 2021-5-20 08:17
Have you tested this? Sounds like just what I need when flying from my boat.

If the boat is moving then what you need to do in learn how, at intervals and prior to RTH'ing, to change the homepoint to the controller's/phone's position. With out doing that the drone will RTH to the take off point which will be water.
I do not know if the image captured during the take off will carry over to the reset homepoint but I think there maybe mention of that in the manual.
2022-1-21
Use props
DigitalBoss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 238934 ft
  • >>>
United States

I land manually. Save RTH for emergency.
2022-2-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Often use RTH to bring the drone over head but only once in a Blue Moon do I use any form of automated landing and never if I am hand catching.
2022-2-21
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

I am guilty of laziness and using RTH most of the time, but lately I have been forcing myself to be more comfortable manually flying/landing the aircraft.  @Bradders, that's a good tip.  I'll try that next time since my last RTH the drone wanted to land about 7 feet from the pad until I took over manual.  I also have been using the blue side of my pad.  Next time I will try the orange side.
2022-2-21
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

That's why, In my humble opinion, you should at least once or twice if for no other reason to have some confidence it will work if the situation arises you need the function, such as the RC/drone loses connection.
2022-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules