Phantom 4 Firmware Issues
21544 119 2017-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansef0352f6
New
Egypt

Hello,

If someone could lend a hand with the issues below it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a Phantom 4, which hadn't been flown in 6 months and upon startup this morning was prompted to upgrade firmware for both aircraft and RC. (Note: at the end of last season it flew, functioned and captured images with no issues). I followed the onscreen prompts running the update through the DJI Go 4 app, but installation lagged at 99% when directed to unplug and then replug the cable from aircraft as part of the final step in the RC upgrade. I believed there was no issue with this at the time, and that both aircraft and RC just needed to be powered down and restarted in sequence.

On restart the RC controller link light flashed from red to green extremely quickly (like the baud rate in a modem) and video signal feed was non existent to weak, flickering in intermittently before the app crashed. Performed multiple power down and restarts trying to relink/rebind the RC both through the app and then manually using the hold-button reset process described by @Aardvark in another thread. RC link light continued to flash in the same manner as described above; app froze and crashed intermittently through out.

Have since used the latest DJI Assistant to upgrade firmware as well as the precise location database, but after downloading both updates the transmission process fails. Have uploaded the log report for both multiple times. Have also tried to reinstall factory settings, though this doesn't seem to do anything either; and there doesn't appear to be any previous firmware versions available via the Assistant. Have tried downgrading the firmware on the RC from v1.8 to v1.6 using the process described by @Aardvark in another thread but with no luck either -- same flashing link light from red to green like that denoting the baud rate in a modem. Read the tutorial thread on image transmission and have tried to change signal from automatic to custom but unable; app freezes then crashes.

Running out of options to try, but if there was to retain settings/firmware as of six months ago that would seem to be the best solution; I don't need the latest additions and after reading through other threads believe I may have inadvertently installed a Phantom 4 Pro firmware update to a Phantom 4

I'm on a iPad Air running iOS 11.2 DJI Go Create App version 4.4.18
From the app about screen the Aircraft version is unrecognized, from the Assistant it says: V02.00.0106-, though the option to upgrade under 'Action' is still available.

@DJI Diana or @Aardvark; help, suggestions, advice? Can you give me a ticket number? user email: omurray@ommphoto.ca. I'm currently at a major monument temple site in Egypt and need to get this up and running asap.

Many thanks to any/all who can help in advance!
2017-12-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansef0352f6 Posted at 2017-12-4 07:33
Hello,

If someone could lend a hand with the issues below it would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the RC has not yet updated to V1.9.3. EDIT:- the red/green flashing is indicative of this.

This is the process I used to update the RC to V1.9.3:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. This should work, but if not then repeat above as needed.

This hopefully will be enough to get you up and running with aircraft at V02.00.0106.

However there is also an issue when recording in 4k video @ 30fps using aircraft firmware 02.00.0106, and potentially another issue of some flight instability which has affected some (you may be OK). A quick fix for the video issue (stops recording, and screen blank for a few seconds while gimbal resets) is to record in 1080P.

An upgrade to V02.00.0600 beta seems to resolve both of these issues for most. This beta needs to be requested from one of the DJI Mods. And can be seen and downloaded using DJI Assistant 2, when made available to you.
2017-12-4
Use props
skyguy17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190745 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

Please read my post here (plus several other places on the forum now).

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120357-1-1.html

These steps fixed my brand new P4 with the same Red/Green LED issues and no video feeds.  But make sure you have the Aircraft <Off> until the RC has completed the update to Firmware 1.9.3 and you have confirmed this.  You may also need to confirm the Aircraft has the correct f/w and it's also installed OK, I did this through the Mac/PC based DJI Assistant 2 s/w found on the DJI support download pages for the P4. Good luck

The mods seemed impressed with my solution through PM !

Tell me how you get on?
2017-12-4
Use props
ommphoto
New
Egypt

skyguy17 Posted at 2017-12-4 07:49
Please read my post here (plus several other places on the forum now).

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120357-1-1.html

@Aardvark: Thanks very much for confirming the flashing red/green light as indicative of an unsuccessful RC firmware upgrade from v1.8 to v1.9.3. Followed your instructions for the DJI Go 4 App but with no luck. Thought it might be an issue with the app itself, so deleted and reinstalled; but still didn't work.

Thanks for the heads up in regards to video issue; shouldn't be an issue as am relying on camera stills and the interval timer function. If encounter flight instability will request V.02.00.0600 beta upgrade from the DJI Mods.

@skyguy17: Awesome -- thanks so much for that. Followed your instructions and successfully upgraded the RC from v1.8 to v.1.9.3. I'm sure the Mods are impressed with your solution -- I am, too! Thanks again.

That said, I'm now encountering an issue with calibrating the RC unit. Follow on screen prompts to move the sticks in multiple directions repeatedly but there is no response from the calibration procedure... Will search forums for any info on this, but if yourself, @Aardvark or any of the DJI mods can provide a link to solution it would be much appreciated.
2017-12-4
Use props
ommphoto
New
Egypt

ommphoto Posted at 2017-12-4 23:20
@Aardvark: Thanks very much for confirming the flashing red/green light as indicative of an unsuccessful RC firmware upgrade from v1.8 to v1.9.3. Followed your instructions for the DJI Go 4 App but with no luck. Thought it might be an issue with the app itself, so deleted and reinstalled; but still didn't work.

Thanks for the heads up in regards to video issue; shouldn't be an issue as am relying on camera stills and the interval timer function. If encounter flight instability will request V.02.00.0600 beta upgrade from the DJI Mods.

Just to update -- was able to successfully calibrate RC; ashamed to admit I didn't realize the gimbal dial also needed to be moved back and forth in order to complete calibration! This helped:

Recalibrated IMU: and am now set for first test flight. Thanks again @skyguy17 and @Aardvark!
2017-12-5
Use props
Gaffzilla
lvl.1
United Kingdom

What are admins doing on here besides nothing? My firmware update failed, it now says version unknown. There's a link to the rc and controls work but I won't fly it until sorted, the video stream is scrambled/ non-existent and I can't get it back. How do I  bring the thing back to Life? Answer required yesterday - underwhelmed by DJI right now
2017-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gaffzilla Posted at 2017-12-5 07:44
What are admins doing on here besides nothing? My firmware update failed, it now says version unknown. There's a link to the rc and controls work but I won't fly it until sorted, the video stream is scrambled/ non-existent and I can't get it back. How do I  bring the thing back to Life? Answer required yesterday - underwhelmed by DJI right now

There's a good chance the answer was given yesterday as per your expectation, try updating your RC using one of the methods mentioned. It says version unknown because the RC cannot interrogate aircraft for its current version until RC updated.
2017-12-5
Use props
Gaffzilla
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-5 08:01
There's a good chance the answer was given yesterday as per your expectation, try updating your RC using one of the methods mentioned. It says version unknown because the RC cannot interrogate aircraft for its current version until RC updated.

The DJI assistant update to the drone fails. After a factory reset it tells me to restart it, which I do, then to do the update which downloads fine then fails to transmit. No attempt is made at any stage to update the rc.
2017-12-5
Use props
Gaffzilla
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Gaffzilla Posted at 2017-12-5 12:43
The DJI assistant update to the drone fails. After a factory reset it tells me to restart it, which I do, then to do the update which downloads fine then fails to transmit. No attempt is made at any stage to update the rc.

It won't let me upload screen caps
2017-12-5
Use props
Gaffzilla
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Gaffzilla Posted at 2017-12-5 13:29
It won't let me upload screen caps

Last post ditched most of my text

Can a mod please make V02.00.0600 beta available via DJI assistant?

Thanks.
2017-12-5
Use props
y2kwiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 726135 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Stoner Droner Posted at 2017-6-8 05:46
I have a P4 which I was forced to update the firmware to v01.02.0602 just last week. I haven't flown the drone since last summer and never had an issue  before. I  went to fly it last week and was instructed to update the drone's firmware, which I did. I was experiencing the issues I described only after I updated the drone. I talked to DJI two days ago and they told me they never heard of these issues before and that I needed to send my drone in for repairs. DJI then told me it was possible to downgrade to the previous firmware version using the DJI Assistant app, but the option of installing older firmware packages isn't available in the newer DJI Assistant software. I was then told I couldn't downgrade the firmware and had to ship it to them for repairs. I believe the problem is DJI's firmware update, which disabled my drone from working properly.

Iv'e read posts online from people having the same issues and they say it's from the new firmware conflicting with the optional HDMI output module. Once they swapped the original module back into the RC, the issues went away. My problem is that I threw the original module away, so don't have that option. Iv'e even purchased another app called Litchi, which is similar to DJI Go app, but better, and I still have the same video issues, so it's not the DJI GO app, it's the drone's firmware update conflicting with the HDMI output module.

The latest Aircraft Firmware is: v02.00.0106 dated 2017.07.06
2017-12-5
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Gaffzilla Posted at 2017-12-5 12:43

There is known problem with transmitting and latest version of windows 10 OS
2017-12-5
Use props
Fire nerd
lvl.1
United States

So how do we transmit? I only have windows 10! This is such crap!! I’ve been dealing with this since August!! I have an erratic drone that dji won’t seemed to try and fix.
2017-12-12
Use props
Fire nerd
lvl.1
United States

If I hear one more person talk about a P4P I’m gonna lose it. I have both a P4 and P4P and you can’t down grade the P4 so please stop telling us to be patient.
2017-12-12
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

Fire nerd Posted at 2017-12-12 17:05
If I hear one more person talk about a P4P I’m gonna lose it. I have both a P4 and P4P and you can’t down grade the P4 so please stop telling us to be patient.

You can downgrade the p4 but not officially. I did it and happy I did. It's winter where I am and been away from the forums for many months, sad to see DJI hasn't made a fixed firmware yet. If you need help just pm me because they keep deleting my posts that have helped many.
2017-12-13
Use props
veekman530
lvl.2
United States

this is ridiculous! how many months now with no fix?! is DJI going to offer thousand dollar refunds or exchanges for a new drone? if not I see major lawsuits on the horizon. people are losing money everyday because of this firmware issue. LET US ROLLBACK DJI!!!!!!!!!
2017-12-13
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

veekman530 Posted at 2017-12-13 12:23
this is ridiculous! how many months now with no fix?! is DJI going to offer thousand dollar refunds or exchanges for a new drone? if not I see major lawsuits on the horizon. people are losing money everyday because of this firmware issue. LET US ROLLBACK DJI!!!!!!!!!

I lost (job)a delivery of air documentation projects ... to which pu..y do I ask for responsibilities?
2017-12-13
Use props
djiuser_lIXUJyr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1410325 ft
United Kingdom

hell yea it`s worse in uk all drones are grounded with 1.9.200 unless yu are logged in with active cell data rite next to the tx in ur flysite . They want them to crash so they can say oooo look how many are crashing we should act now for the benefit of the uk. When its dji who has bent over to the governments
2017-12-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_lIXUJyr Posted at 2017-12-30 16:30
hell yea it`s worse in uk all drones are grounded with 1.9.200 unless yu are logged in with active cell data rite next to the tx in ur flysite . They want them to crash so they can say oooo look how many are crashing we should act now for the benefit of the uk. When its dji who has bent over to the governments

You need to log into your account once (at home), that's it. No wifi, no cell connection needed to fly.
2017-12-30
Use props
djiuser_lIXUJyr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-30 17:01
You need to log into your account once (at home), that's it. No wifi, no cell connection needed to fly.

i personly havnt updated yet i checked out ver 1.9.20 before a friend did i said dont do it but hes a dumbass and done it anyways. Whats all the fuss about the ver mine says i have to update to it seems to be causing lots of heaches
2017-12-30
Use props
Don't buy DJI
New
United States

Buyers beware.  I also was forced to do the software update on my new Phantom 4.  The update made the drone inoperable.  After spending hours on the phone and troubleshooting I was asked to send my brand  new drone in for repair.  After a few weeks a replacement drone was sent back to me.  The refurbished drone DJI provided as a replacement to my new drone was in terrible condition even though their policy states that replacement drones will be in like new condition.   The mount on the controller would not support the weight of my iPad and the drone had a very loud clicking noise when it was turned on.  After several hours on the phone and many emails I was asked to send the replacement drone in for evaluation.  The replacement drone was evaluated and circuit boards were replaced in the drone and controller?  How is this possible in a unit that went through stringent testing before it was sent out?
I have repeatedly asked for my original drone back or a new drone with no success.  I am now getting the used in terrible condition drone and controller back again.
Stay away from DJI. They do not stand behind their product or policies.  Customer service is terrible and only give  scripted answers on everything.
2017-12-30
Use props
Gaffzilla
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-5 08:01
There's a good chance the answer was given yesterday as per your expectation, try updating your RC using one of the methods mentioned. It says version unknown because the RC cannot interrogate aircraft for its current version until RC updated.

so how do I force RC to update when the it's not asking me to do so?
2018-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gaffzilla Posted at 2018-1-5 02:56

What version is your RC using at the moment ? That can be seen with RC & display device connected and looking at 'About' which is at the bottom of the 'General Settings' menu.
2018-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you have the latest version of DJI Go 4 installed V4.1.22.
2018-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a read through This Thread as well, it probably covers most of what might be needed to check/do.
2018-1-5
Use props
simonroyjones
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RuSchristian Posted at 2017-6-8 06:35
Thought so too. Rebinding the remote controller to the aircraft solved that problem. Rebind by clicking on the rc symbol in the app and clicking the led between the micro sd slot and the usb port of the aircraft.

My steps where:

Do I connect the phone to the remote or the aircraft ?

Thanks

Simon
2018-1-13
Use props
fans86c2d141
New
Flight distance : 3297 ft
United States

i cant even fly mine same problem loss sig
2018-1-22
Use props
G-BYPA
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans86c2d141 Posted at 2018-1-22 13:39
i cant even fly mine same problem loss sig

Dji have since done another update this one to is causing probs with users locked in beginner mode with alt restrictions distance restrictions false battery warnings. jee thx dji we love you soooo much ...not  
2018-2-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

G-BYPA Posted at 2018-2-9 00:24
Dji have since done another update this one to is causing probs with users locked in beginner mode with alt restrictions distance restrictions false battery warnings. jee thx dji we love you soooo much ...not

What problems are you experiencing with your Phantom 4 ?
2018-2-9
Use props
G-BYPA
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-9 09:55
What problems are you experiencing with your Phantom 4 ?

To start with post update a twitching gimbal connection issues distance restrictions ive since downgraded it and its stayin that way the only left over is the camera dont sit level with drone  all my p3s are staying unupdated as well. If dji push it any further then im gonna do the uninstall set location to us to get fcc mode and i will never update again .
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

G-BYPA Posted at 2018-2-15 16:49
To start with post update a twitching gimbal connection issues distance restrictions ive since downgraded it and its stayin that way the only left over is the camera dont sit level with drone  all my p3s are staying unupdated as well. If dji push it any further then im gonna do the uninstall set location to us to get fcc mode and i will never update again .

It's just a pity that the 02.00.0700 update didn't work on your P4. I've not read many bad things about it yet.
Good luck with the GPS location thing, and hope that it never tries an RTH :-)
2018-2-15
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25571 ft
Malaysia

I got the same issue like all of you when it comes to weak transmission with Phantom 4. It all started when I upgraded both the aircraft firmware and the remote controller firmware to the latest (after many months of keeping the drone away). After such a horrible experience, I tried downgrading my aircraft firmware but unfortunately, I could only go down the lowest mentioned. I can't downgrade my remote controller's firmware. I'm currently on the followings:

Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0700 (Latest firmware)
Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.3.0
DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.2.21

Unfortunately, the current RC firmware is rubbish. I could only afford 100M of distance before I lose transmission due to weak signal. I have never encounter this before until now.

Please help. How do I return my Phantom 4 back to it's long distance prowess?
2018-4-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-4-9 09:33
I got the same issue like all of you when it comes to weak transmission with Phantom 4. It all started when I upgraded both the aircraft firmware and the remote controller firmware to the latest (after many months of keeping the drone away). After such a horrible experience, I tried downgrading my aircraft firmware but unfortunately, I could only go down the lowest mentioned. I can't downgrade my remote controller's firmware. I'm currently on the followings:

Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106 (2017-07-06)

I found the above aircraft firmware to be the most stable in comparison to the latest rubbish whereby it totally kills my compass 1 and compass 2's sensitivity (rendering them useless). Reverting to the lowest version allows me the compass sensitivity again.

What do you mean by that, how does the v02.00.0700 affect your compass, can you post a screen shot ?
2018-4-9
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I got the same issue like all of you when it comes to weak transmission with Phantom 4. It all started when I upgraded both the aircraft firmware and the remote controller firmware to the latest (after many months of keeping the drone away). After such a horrible experience, I tried downgrading my aircraft firmware but unfortunately, I could only go down the lowest mentioned. I can't downgrade my remote controller's firmware. I'm currently on the followings:

latest version 2.00.700 is better, try compass calibration
2018-4-9
Use props
G-BYPA
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I know it sounds counter productive but downgrade all ur firmware you have to download the firmware you was on move it to the sd card and put in ur drone then its the same as upgrading . just dont update any more. dji dont even test the updates they dont care if they fall out the sky people will just buy another one more money for dji untill everyones been conned and we all go buy new drones from another maker  
2018-4-24
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25571 ft
Malaysia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-9 09:41
I found the above aircraft firmware to be the most stable in comparison to the latest rubbish whereby it totally kills my compass 1 and compass 2's sensitivity (rendering them useless). Reverting to the lowest version allows me the compass sensitivity again.

What do you mean by that, how does the v02.00.0700 affect your compass, can you post a screen shot ?

Hi Aardvark,

Took me forever to post this but I was really busy. Long story short, I got fed up with the compass issue that I took the drone to an DJI authorized service center and got the landing gear of my P4 replaced.

After that, my compass start behaving normally and I no more calibration issue. But the limited distance issue with my drone is still an issue. I've spoken with service center and but they said this distance issue is highly subjective and they do hear that some customers of P4 have such issue. Only solution is that I would need to send the whole unit (remote controller included) back to DJI for inspection and await their feedbacks.

As for the distance issue, I posted the issue here

I'm really not sure why I'm facing this remote controller range issue with my P4... I can't seems to fly beyond 100m. I'm considering replacing my remote controller to another unit to troubleshoot... but have not opportunity to do so yet...
2018-7-30
Use props
info097
New

United Kingdom

Hi.

I have upgraded the firmware of both the P4 and the RC.  All worked fine before I did this.

I now get a black screen so cannot see the picture/video feed on the tablet, but the drone flies fine.  You can take pictures and videos which store on the drone MicroSD card and these are fine too.

I have tried this on 2 separate tablets (which worked before the upgrade), and both operate on Android.  However, I have just tried using a smart phone (LG G6), again on Android, and this works!

Any ideas why I cannot get the video feed on my tablets?

Thanks
2018-10-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-7-30 09:02
Hi Aardvark,

Took me forever to post this but I was really busy. Long story short, I got fed up with the compass issue that I took the drone to an DJI authorized service center and got the landing gear of my P4 replaced.

Given that they replaced the landing gear that also meant that they replaced the compass' & the aircraft antenna.

So a previously faulty compass or bad connection would likely have been the cause of your compass error you saw. And there is also a possibility of a bad connection on antenna (also in legs) causing your range problem. Assuming you've no distance limits set you shouldn't have any range problems.
When you're testing range are you just going straight up from launch point ? If so then your in the worst possible position for the antennas to transmit & receive effectively. Have a look at the video here it might help understand.

Edit, I've just checked date on your other post, situation now resloved with replacement RC :-)

2018-10-27
Use props
Argus Rising
New

United States

Hello,

I didn't use DJI Assistant at all. After getting stuck at the "Transmitting" stage multiple times something clicked in my head. I just updated the firmware with my iPad using the DJI Go 4 app and these cables from ipad to p4

2019-4-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Argus Rising Posted at 4-7 11:00
I didn't use DJI Assistant at all. After getting stuck at the "Transmitting" stage multiple times something clicked in my head. I just updated the firmware with my iPad using the DJI Go 4 app and these cables from ipad to p4

[view_image]

There should be an OTG cable in the P4 box, normally you wouldn't have needed your Samsung OTG as shown in images. Was this for the flysafe database updates ?
2019-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules