"For increased safety..."
3174 25 2017-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

So my only real question is...
Do I need to have the internet where I fly to be able to exceed the 30m/50m limit?

Mavic Pro Release Notes:

Date : 2017.06.08
Firmware : v01.03.0800
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.1.0
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.1.0

What’s New?

Updated No Fly Zone Management.
For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO 4 and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.
Added gimbal control in Fixed-Wing.
Optimized color shading in for improved footage quality.
Fixed minor drift issue in Portrait.

2017-6-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

WHYYYYYYYY?? How am I going to get my 360 shots now?
2017-6-8
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I just posted this in the NFZ Update Required thread also

I did the update and every time I go to fly I need internet connection to unlock the NFZ Limit thing. My camera is all blurred and messed up until I do. I fly a lot of places that have NO cell service. I asked about this on here and it was quickly answered by dJI Joe and then locked and taken down. He told me that as long as I didn't sign out I should not have to have internet connection. I didn't get to reply because he locked and took down my thread but I never signed out and was still signed in when this happened. So him telling me that as long as I don't sign out is not the case with mine. This update has made it so I need internet to verify each time before I fly.
2017-6-8
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

As I read the release notes (and according to at least one test on other thread on this topic). It requires connection to the app not the internet but you have to be logged into the app so at one point, you will have to have internet connectivity but you should still be able to fly without internet (I usually fly in Airplane mode to avoid interruptions on my iPhone 7).
2017-6-8
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burmman Posted at 2017-6-8 05:27
I just posted this in the NFZ Update Required thread also

I did the update and every time I go to fly I need internet connection to unlock the NFZ Limit thing. My camera is all blurred and messed up until I do. I fly a lot of places that have NO cell service. I asked about this on here and it was quickly answered by dJI Joe and then locked and taken down. He told me that as long as I didn't sign out I should not have to have internet connection. I didn't get to reply because he locked and took down my thread but I never signed out and was still signed in when this happened. So him telling me that as long as I don't sign out is not the case with mine. This update has made it so I need internet to verify each time before I fly.

I'm so happy I'm still on .400!!  I'm going flying today without inter web connection or cell service or issues.
2017-6-8
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-8 05:52
As I read the release notes (and according to at least one test on other thread on this topic). It requires connection to the app not the internet but you have to be logged into the app so at one point, you will have to have internet connectivity but you should still be able to fly without internet (I usually fly in Airplane mode to avoid interruptions on my iPhone 7).

I tried that. I updated at home and was logged in and had done a test flight. Everything worked fine. I went to the location that I wanted to film and put my tablet into airplane mode like normal and started the app. Soon as it started I got the NFZ Limit. I never signed out of the app. When I went into the app I still had my flight log and was signed in. After restarting and going nuts I packed it all away and came home. I attempted to fly at home the same way. The same thing happened. I took the tablet out of airplane mode and it connected to the internet. I restarted the app and it verified again and it worked. I flew a short distance and landed and turned it all off again. Put the tablet back into airplane mode and tried again. Everything started up and the NFZ Limit was back. Only way I can see my camera and have the NFZ Limit gone is to connect online each time before flying. I am going to try and re update again today and see if that solves the problem.
2017-6-8
Use props
fanse9e36e6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1213320 ft
United States

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/f ... from-testing.18674/
2017-6-8
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Burmman Posted at 2017-6-8 06:23
I tried that. I updated at home and was logged in and had done a test flight. Everything worked fine. I went to the location that I wanted to film and put my tablet into airplane mode like normal and started the app. Soon as it started I got the NFZ Limit. I never signed out of the app. When I went into the app I still had my flight log and was signed in. After restarting and going nuts I packed it all away and came home. I attempted to fly at home the same way. The same thing happened. I took the tablet out of airplane mode and it connected to the internet. I restarted the app and it verified again and it worked. I flew a short distance and landed and turned it all off again. Put the tablet back into airplane mode and tried again. Everything started up and the NFZ Limit was back. Only way I can see my camera and have the NFZ Limit gone is to connect online each time before flying. I am going to try and re update again today and see if that solves the problem.

I haven't flown since the update, but for what I read the behavior of your app is not normal. Have you tried uninstalling DJI Go4 , cleaning up the files and reinstalling again?
2017-6-8
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-6-8 07:02
I haven't flown since the update, but for what I read the behavior of your app is not normal. Have you tried uninstalling DJI Go4 , cleaning up the files and reinstalling again?

Doing that as we speak.
2017-6-8
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Not too convincing an argument to update to this version.  The really big question I guess is if this app update actually STOPS you from using your drone as you have done before, and what you bought it to do, does DJI somehow think they have watertight case to do this?  I suspect they are feeling a huge amount of pressure from someplace to even approach the idea of limiting personal use of private property in such a manner.  Storm clouds are bad weather to fly a drone in.  It might very well be bad weather for DJI to fly in as well, assuming their wishes overrule our rights in such matters.  Guess we will all get a front row seat on this one.

Personally I hope this is all just a false flag and all of our Mavic's will work as they were expected to when we purchase them.

-Rodger
2017-6-8
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Well if  the performance is limited when not connected to the app its definitely limited, I frequently fly with just rc
2017-6-8
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-8 07:22
Well if  the performance is limited when not connected to the app its definitely limited, I frequently fly with just rc

As an RC'er for over 50 years, I understand that option really well, HA!  But, one of the huge reason for my purchase of this Mavic is to do HD, 2.7k and 4k filming of the outdoors and away from everyone I can be away from.  This means for sure, away from cell service.  I too have done the occasional fly around the yard with just the controller with the mavic in sight at all times.  The limit imposed to 30m/50m for me in this regard seems reasonable enough to not be a problem, unless I am missing something here.  But, take away my right to use this device for filming in remote locations as I choose to, will be a problem.  For the last 50 years, my principle job has been problem solving in multiple business's, so I suppose if necessary, I will have to try and solve this one too as needs be.

-Rodger
2017-6-8
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Yeah I bought it as a flying camera also. Im at 44 years of flying RC and year 11 of flying FPV. My point is and its a simple one. Its being repeated over and over again that our mavics have not been limited and this is simply not true. I does not matter how many times it gets repeated.  The range of conventional line of site , RC and Aircraft only flying has been greatly limited. Period    I have taken dozens of wonderful shots with just the RC, no camera and no phone.
2017-6-8
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-8 08:31
Yeah I bought it as a flying camera also. Im at 44 years of flying RC and year 11 of flying FPV. My point is and its a simple one. Its being repeated over and over again that our mavics have not been limited and this is simply not true. I does not matter how many times it gets repeated.  The range of conventional line of site , RC and Aircraft only flying has been greatly limited. Period    I have taken dozens of wonderful shots with just the RC, no camera and no phone.

Might be OK, if this poster is correct.  Hope more people will chime in flying with this new update with total absence of any cell service being available at all.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=433929

-Rodger
2017-6-8
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

"when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO 4 and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.

It says Or not and . If you have logged into the app it doesn't matter if you don't have internet after that . As long as you have logged in .
2017-6-8
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

No, you do not, only to update and then login to your account. once logged in thats it.

The app has persistent login, in other words unless you actually log out, then you remain logged in.
2017-6-8
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2017-6-8 11:36
No, you do not, only to update and then login to your account. once logged in thats it.

The app has persistent login, in other words unless you actually log out, then you remain logged in.

Mine has to be connected to verify. I put my tablet into airplane mode and try to open the app and use it and get the NFZ Limit. I can click on the Me section and see I am still logged in . So the part about being logged in once isn't working for me. I have reinstalled the update again today and have not had a chance to fly as of yet. So with fingers crossed I hope that this problem is fixed for me.
2017-6-8
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

I have the DJI goggles coming in.  Seen there are updates for it, but only within this update.  Figured I can undo this if necessary, so I did the update.  So what I see is about the same as I had, which isn't very nice using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4".  Tablet seems to be too slow and this causes it to actually shutoff and restart all by itself.  Never had this happen in the few years I have owned this tablet, but congratulations DJI, you have done something never done before, again HA!  

Decided I should root this tablet and clean up all the unnecessary installs on it that cannot normally be uninstalled.  I am going to overclock it as well.  Use to do all of this stuff and more for fun some years back with computers mainly, so it might be more fun then work, we'll see.

I'll post back with results most likely tomorrow.

-Rodger
2017-6-8
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

What happens when your app crashes when youre already flying above 30m?? My app crashes about every 5-10minutes, technically youre not connected to the app then right? Does it just do a RTH or just drop to 30m? What if youre in the middle of a shot?
2017-6-8
Use props
VMav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76814 ft
United States

short answer - no
2017-6-8
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Sangarone Posted at 2017-6-8 18:00
What happens when your app crashes when youre already flying above 30m?? My app crashes about every 5-10minutes, technically youre not connected to the app then right? Does it just do a RTH or just drop to 30m? What if youre in the middle of a shot?

Longer answer - restart the app.
2017-6-8
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Well the rooting the Samsung Tab S did help.  Allowed me to uninstall a large number of resource hogs.  Still looking for a "real" overclock app or another method to overclock this tablet.  Kind of hit a road block as the method I was going to use isn't supporting the later 6.0.1 kernel in use now, so I have some leg work to do in finding something that can work.  In the mean time, I took the mavic up to max hight and shot another sunset.  It was nicer this time then last as the app and the RC kept working the whole flight!  Still on the marginal side with processing power in this tablet, but it was a solid video feed and other then a bit of weak control signal, the flight was without incident.  

-Rodger
2017-6-9
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
United States

OK Update on my problem. I redid everything and started over. I first turned everything on and the camera was still messed up and it said I had no signal. The NFZ Limit was gone. I restarted my SONY tablet and re opened DJI GO4 app. It started and everything was fine. So it seemed to have fixed my connection problem. I no longer need internet to fly. Now my problem is that my app keeps crashing and turning my screen all black. First time I flew it worked perfect for about 8 minutes then screen went black. I restarted the app and it lasted for 2 minutes. Landed and cleared everything on the tablet. Restarted everything and tried again. This time the screen stayed on for the few minutes i flew but had a terrible lag in the video. I'm going to try and clear out the GO4 app and reinstall it. Seems each update DJI has screws up the people that had perfectly good working drones to before the update. Why can't they just get it right.
2017-6-9
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Burmman Posted at 2017-6-9 12:41
OK Update on my problem. I redid everything and started over. I first turned everything on and the camera was still messed up and it said I had no signal. The NFZ Limit was gone. I restarted my SONY tablet and re opened DJI GO4 app. It started and everything was fine. So it seemed to have fixed my connection problem. I no longer need internet to fly. Now my problem is that my app keeps crashing and turning my screen all black. First time I flew it worked perfect for about 8 minutes then screen went black. I restarted the app and it lasted for 2 minutes. Landed and cleared everything on the tablet. Restarted everything and tried again. This time the screen stayed on for the few minutes i flew but had a terrible lag in the video. I'm going to try and clear out the GO4 app and reinstall it. Seems each update DJI has screws up the people that had perfectly good working drones to before the update. Why can't they just get it right.

Don't know your sony tablet, but both my son Andy and I had to do full resets on our Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablets.  That helped, but still not very close to right.  Apparently, both Litchi and DJI love to make use of the extra computing power and more from the devices they connect to.  Understandably, if too much power is taken from them, they will have a tough time doing their own work, such as running their apps and processing streaming video into and out of them.  

Personally, I look at this type of thing as a challenge and my attitude becomes pretty pointed toward winning when things challenge me.  So, I have rooted and wiped both of our tablets and have installed a new OS in my tablet as well.  Rooting allows Andy and I to decide what we want for apps on our tablets, instead of Samsung deciding in a pretty large way what they would like us to have on them.  It also lets us experiment with overclocking and more.  Right now, instead of over 200 apps installed by Samsung, I have 25 installed in total.  Instead of 10 GB I am using 4.4 GB.  And with that much less overhead, everything is faster, just naturally.  Just a bit ago, I did some other changes to my tablet which now allows me to run up to 2.1 Ghz max instead of 1.9 Ghz.  That's an additional 10% of raw computing power added.  

Don't know yet what all this will do and what else I will be doing, but over the weekend I'm sure I will be finding out more.

-Rodger
2017-6-9
Use props
AlexNYC
New
Flight distance : 166985 ft
United States

What happens when I go vacation to another country and I have no cell service. This is why I bought this drone for.
2017-6-14
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

AlexNYC Posted at 2017-6-14 13:22
What happens when I go vacation to another country and I have no cell service. This is why I bought this drone for.

Should be no issue. I have the latest firmware and DJI Go4 and fly hundreds of miles from home in the mountains where there is no cell service. It works fine for me.
2017-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules