Critical battery setting and when Inspire will land itself
2072 8 2015-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

The other day I brought my Bird in at 30% with the idea of flying at two feet right in front of me till I ran the battery down to the set critical level of 10%.
I wanted to run the battery low and also see how it auto landed at critical levels.
At 18% it landed itself.....not at 10%.
Has this happened to others...if so you can' t count on that last little bit to,go to 10%.  You could be caught off guard and have a mishap?
2015-3-12
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

Can't you set the critical setting yourself?
2015-3-12
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

Yes you can....it is set at 10% by default so I just left it there.  At 10% it is supposed to land itself.  Problem is if you attempt to go below the 30% level towards the critical 10% level it will land itself at 18% instead of going to the 10%.
If you are in a situation where you are depending on that last bit of battery it will not be there ......it will land when you don't want it too
I usually land at 30% battery.....but I understand that you can still fly down to the critical preset if you have to before it will land on its own.
Problem is it lands short of what you have selected.....could catch you off guard and fly into something like a tree or whatever.
2015-3-12
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

That's why I keep saying , watch that battery % ... If I'm at distance 40% is when I start thinking about heading  home .
less than 30 could catch you out of time and I'm filming over water often , the inspire is just too many $$$$$$ for me to take chances winging it on a low battery , unlike my phantom 2 custom or my old p1 which at times I've had to hand grab snatch it out of the air as I fly it in hard empty of all juice even getting my feet wet once !  
2015-3-12
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

I did the same test. Set critical at 10% and hovered close by and at 16% it landed. I would hope this is fixed soon or someone is going to lose an Inspire.
2015-3-12
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

How many times you use that battery? Could you pls post both of yours battery info pages? I did the same test and can not replicate it.
2015-3-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I had something like this happen as well.   Was only about my fourth time out, battery had been charged only a few times.   It hit the 30% alarm but I was only 3 feet off the ground so I thought I'd push it a bit longer.

At about 20% it would no longer rise.   It was only a couple of feet off the ground but I had to clear an obstacle to get to a safe landing spot.  

I kept trying to stick-up but it wouldn't budge.  Eventually I got the critical alarm and had to just stick left and crash through some bushes and land.  

No damage, just knocked the gimbal out but was able to put it back in.

But freaked me out and I didn't like the feeling of having zero control.

Since then I don't screw around with battery levels.  
2015-3-12
Use props
magaspen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200279 ft
United States

down to 3 props and grounded because i had critical set at 10 and at 18% it gave me a low power, going home message and unfortunately the home point was set to RC at a place about 100 feet from where i actually set it...straight into a tree.  had so much trouble controlling it manually that i didn't cancel RTH (unfortunately)
any body with spare props for sale?   will pay over market
2015-3-13
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-13 14:55
I had something like this happen as well.   Was only about my fourth time out, battery had been char ...

would be nice to have two batteries onboard ..maybe an after market mod?
2015-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules