Cinematic and Dramatic Mavic Video
1528 28 2017-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Let me know what you think/any suggestions for my next one. Thanks!

2017-6-9
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You have done a really great job with this video.
This is no reflection on this video but there are now thousands of scenery videos around and you really need to keep them short and stunning to get people to watch from start to finish. Look for the unusual.
2017-6-9
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-6-9 23:04
This is no reflection on this video but there are now thousands of scenery videos around and you really need to keep them short and stunning to get people to watch from start to finish. Look for the unusual.

Thank you very much for the feedback!
Yeah, I agree with this... This video was a little experiment to see if I could make 'meh' terrain still look interesting and cinematic. My other videos have much more interesting scenery.
As far as length, it's hard for me to find short enough clips of a song to use, that make sense over the footage. I'll work more on shortening it up in the future, as I can definitely see where people would lose interest.
2017-6-10
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63012 ft
Malaysia

Awesome job, mind sharing your settings and use of nd filters?
2017-6-10
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Right in my home town. I was trying to figure out where you took the video.
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Arcaniz Posted at 2017-6-10 05:08
Awesome job, mind sharing your settings and use of nd filters?

Thank you!
Unfortunately, there is a mix of 24 (with 1/50th shutter) and 30 (with 1/60th shutter) fps clips in this video. They were taken at different times, over a couple months, and I recently switched to 24 fps for all of my footage (which is what I would recommend using). There is also, unfortunately, a mix of other camera settings in these, but for the most recent clips (and again, what I would recommend) I am using D-Cinelike, a custom +1, -1, -1 for style, and I manually set my white balance to 5200. I also turned the gimbal sensitivity way down and gimbal buffer way up. I would experiment with this and fine a sweet zone for yourself.
For NDs, I use Polar Pro... All of these clips were done with a ND8 or 16, as none were shot in full daytime sunlight, but I go up to 32, when it's full sun.
Let me know if you have any other questions, or want more specifics! Hope this helps..
2017-6-10
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Canada

Very nice. Same advice keep it short, 2 minutes or less and then post 2 videos!
2017-6-10
Use props
Yogi123
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice video.  Thanks for sharing it and your settings!
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

rreindl Posted at 2017-6-10 05:16
Right in my home town. I was trying to figure out where you took the video.

Nice! I am in the Tinley Park area. What area are you in?
This video was shot in - Bartel Grassland Land and Water Reserve, Saganashkee Slough Woods, and Rock Run Rookery Preserve.
Nice to see a fellow south Chicagolander on here. I'm sure you know just as well as I, the pain it is to find any interesting areas to drone around our area.
2017-6-10
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Malaysia

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-6-10 06:15
Thank you!
Unfortunately, there is a mix of 24 (with 1/50th shutter) and 30 (with 1/60th shutter) fps clips in this video. They were taken at different times, over a couple months, and I recently switched to 24 fps for all of my footage (which is what I would recommend using). There is also, unfortunately, a mix of other camera settings in these, but for the most recent clips (and again, what I would recommend) I am using D-Cinelike, a custom +1, -1, -1 for style, and I manually set my white balance to 5200. I also turned the gimbal sensitivity way down and gimbal buffer way up. I would experiment with this and fine a sweet zone for yourself.
For NDs, I use Polar Pro... All of these clips were done with a ND8 or 16, as none were shot in full daytime sunlight, but I go up to 32, when it's full sun.

Thanks for your detailed explanation on settings and method you used. Were you using polar pro normal series or the polarized vivid series?
2017-6-10
Use props
Shaun Goodman
New
Netherlands

The mood of your startup was awesome but I found myself wanting more of that kayak as it provide a unique change from the landscape theme. I'd have tried to tell the story through his quite peaceful training. Nonetheless, well shot throughout.
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-10 06:40
Very nice. Same advice keep it short, 2 minutes or less and then post 2 videos!

Thank you!
Yes, I am going to find some shorter clips of songs that will work for future projects.
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Yogi123 Posted at 2017-6-10 06:59
Nice video.  Thanks for sharing it and your settings!

Thank you, and no problem!
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Arcaniz Posted at 2017-6-10 07:58
Thanks for your detailed explanation on settings and method you used. Were you using polar pro normal series or the polarized vivid series?

No problem!
On this video, I was using only the standard series Polar Pros.
2017-6-10
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1035020 ft
United States

Wow, seriously good shots. great song choice. it's very beautiful.

I enjoy how you deviated your Mavics direction in elevation after going straight for some time.  (you can see it around the 10 second mark to the 20 second mark)
It takes away the omniscience from the video. Most high-quality drone videos just keep it simple and go one direction only.
This usually makes the videos look as if they were taken by God or something supernatural (which can be an appealing style to capture) but for your video, I think when you do these more 3-dimensional moves, it really grounds the video to the human vibe.  which makes the music sound even more perfect.
2017-6-10
Use props
Videolester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466624 ft
Canada

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-6-9 23:04

I agree on video length. Less is always "more" :-) Here's one I did at 1 min length.
2017-6-10
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Videolester Posted at 2017-6-10 21:12
I agree on video length. Less is always "more" :-) Here's one I did at 1 min length. "Sunset at Pender Island"

Yes, good video. It is amazing how much can be fitted into just 1 minute. You were lucky to get the contrail.
2017-6-10
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Shaun Goodman Posted at 2017-6-10 08:21
The mood of your startup was awesome but I found myself wanting more of that kayak as it provide a unique change from the landscape theme. I'd have tried to tell the story through his quite peaceful training. Nonetheless, well shot throughout.

Thank you for the feedback!
Yes, I would have loved to follow around that kayak a bit more, but he was coming into shore for the night on the shots that I got, and I didn't know him. I didn't want him freaking out because some giant flying bug was following him around.
2017-6-11
Use props
joshcolvey
lvl.1
United States

Great video!!
2017-6-11
Use props
Shaun Goodman
New
Netherlands

Bill Drones Posted at 2017-6-11 04:33
Thank you for the feedback!
Yes, I would have loved to follow around that kayak a bit more, but he was coming into shore for the night on the shots that I got, and I didn't know him. I didn't want him freaking out because some giant flying bug was following him around.

Thanks Bill, I'm a good way behind your ability so will watch with interest for future posts. I like learning from others.
2017-6-11
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

RileySmelley Posted at 2017-6-10 17:28
Wow, seriously good shots. great song choice. it's very beautiful.

I enjoy how you deviated your Mavics direction in elevation after going straight for some time.  (you can see it around the 10 second mark to the 20 second mark)

Thank you so much! Your comments are greatly appreciated!
I agree that using more than one movement at a time can really help the look. And I feel like it brings a more cinematic look to these videos.
2017-6-11
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Videolester Posted at 2017-6-10 21:12
I agree on video length. Less is always "more" :-) Here's one I did at 1 min length. "Sunset at Pender Island"

Thanks for the suggestion!
2017-6-11
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice production, thanks for sharing it!
2017-6-11
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Thank you so much!
2017-6-12
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Shaun Goodman Posted at 2017-6-11 12:18
Thanks Bill, I'm a good way behind your ability so will watch with interest for future posts. I like learning from others.

And I enjoy teaching! Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to help, with the limited knowledge I have.
2017-6-12
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-6-11 22:33
Nice production, thanks for sharing it!

Thank you so much! My pleasure!
2017-6-12
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Malaysia

https://youtu.be/6-ewVJotQ4A

Not sure whether this is appropriate? Would love some comments from the pros here on my amateur video. Thanks!
2017-6-12
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Malaysia

Arcaniz Posted at 2017-6-12 20:28

Not sure whether this is appropriate? Would love some comments from the pros here on my amateur video. Thanks!

YouTube link attached

2017-6-12
Use props
Bill Drones
lvl.4
United States

Arcaniz Posted at 2017-6-12 20:28

Nice video! I like the music and the color correction looks good! What editing program did you use?
I am very far from professional, but here are a few things I would recommend looking at for the next one...
Try to cut your clips so it starts in the middle of one movement, and ends before that certain movement changes. When you change the direction (or start panning/etc.) in the middle of a clip, it makes it obvious that it is a drone. And when you do pan (moving the camera side to side), go as slow as possible. Fast pans can get blurry and can even make some dizzy. I think the overall length was good, but maybe make some of the individual clips a little shorter. I wouldn't leave a clip any longer than 10 seconds, tops. Again the color correction on my screen looks great, and this looks like a really cool area! Thanks for sharing!
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules