4324 14 2015-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Most of you would know that it is a good idea to discharge your battery to 20% or below. A simple way of doing this is to use the extra cable supplied by DJI in your kit.  It's the one with the remote connector on one end and the battery plug on the other.
Connect this cable to your remote control and that will charge the remote control and discharge the battery at the same time.

Just remember to power up the battery once connected or it won't work.

2015-3-12
Use props
huppeencoyote69
lvl.2

Netherlands

Thanks for the tip
2015-3-13
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

After flights I sometimes let it sit on the ground with props running until the battery drains lower
2015-3-13
Use props
kilowong.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20741 ft
Hong Kong

so its bad to keep the batts on full charge ?

2015-3-13
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

Yes, as I understand   it's bad practice for any lipo to keep it fully charged for a period longer than a few days. The term "a few days" varies upon who's provided the information or opinion.   If you are not going to be using your battery for a period of time it is generally recommended to discharge it into a "storage condition to prolong its lifespan. If you are using the controller  app, which you should,  there is a setting under the battery info that will allow you to choose a number of days to go out before the battery will begin  to discharge itself. The default is 10 days, but that number can be adjusted for fewer days if that's your preference.
2015-3-13
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

What about the RC
I understand that when you fly it's good to have it well charged.
But does what applies to inspire batteries apply to this as well?
2015-3-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

jhogge Posted at 2015-3-14 03:53
After flights I sometimes let it sit on the ground with props running until the battery drains lower

I do the same, bring them down to around 5-7%
2015-3-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kilowong.gmail Posted at 2015-3-14 14:36
so its bad to keep the batts on full charge ?

You can leave them fully charged for up to 10 days. At that point the Battery will discharge itself to around 50%. Which brings up another issue. Check them before you go flying, you may arrive at your flight spot and have a very short flight.
2015-3-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

al2sar@icloud.c Posted at 2015-3-14 16:09
What about the RC
I understand that when you fly it's good to have it well charged.
But does what a ...

Yes, check to make sure they are fully charged before you fly. I check mine the day before I go flying if they have been sitting for a while, a week or more.
2015-3-14
Use props
kappaOS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276778 ft
Italy

rodger Posted at 2015-3-14 20:35
You can leave them fully charged for up to 10 days. At that point the Battery will discharge itsel ...

That's why they call 'em INTELLIGENT flight battery
2015-3-14
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

rodger Posted at 2015-3-14 20:39
Yes, check to make sure they are fully charged before you fly. I check mine the day before I go fl ...

But given the fact that the after a half hour or so flying the remote has not discharged to where even three of the LEDs light up instead of four, if next flight you recharge it up to full isn't that bad for the battery life?i mean the fact that this way it would never go down to one led lighting up?
2015-3-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

al2sar@icloud.c Posted at 2015-3-14 20:55
But given the fact that the after a half hour or so flying the remote has not discharged to where  ...

I wouldn't charge the remote every time to keep it full because you want to give the batteries a good full cycle. I don't have a feel for the battery capacity in the remote yet. I also doubt that the remote has the same features as the Inspire Battery. Also I am not sure if it is a Li-Po ? When mine arrived it had a very small charge in it. I charged it to a full indication and it did not take much time at all. Once fully discharged for the first time the recharge cycle took quite a while indicating that it had a nice full capacity charge. Until you get a feel for your run time I would be sure to bring the Battery to Controller cord with me and a spare Battery or two. My plan is to use the TB 48's and use the TB 47 as an emergency backup. If you look at the Phantom controller there is no indication like the Inspire controller on the original units. I believe the latest release of the Vision Plus has a controller similar to the Inspire.
2015-3-14
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Too much misinformation and urban legend mixed in with facts on this threadNO priming needed as suggested in post 1

Li-Polymer batteries self discharge at a rate of 2% per month and have NO memory effect....the rest is folklore and heresay.. i have a phantom2 li-polymer battery that is still 100% charged after 6 months!!
bedtime reading >>>>

http://batteryuniversity.com/lea ... ium_based_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/lea ... thium_ion_batteries

in summary

Apply a topping before use. No priming needed
Keep some charge. Low charge can turn off protection circuit
Partial charge better than a full charge
Partial charge
causes no harm
Deep discharge wears the battery down
No memory

2015-3-14
Use props
CoastalBird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 692041 ft
United States

Different battery chemistries require different best practices.  Lithium Polymer batteries such as the ones that run the Inspire 1 are particularly volatile, and so require a high degree of caution and precaution in their handling.  Unlike NiCad or NiMH chemistry, these batteries do not suffer from a "memory" effect where the battery would need to be fully discharged prior to recharging.  Their performance also does not suffer from long-term storage in a fully charged state.  As other forum members have noted, they will self-discharge slowly over time, and will return to full performance with a recharge prior to use.

There's also a very good post over on RCgroups about the dangers associated with LiPo batteries in UAVs.  
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187
2015-3-14
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

What kind is the RC battery? Anybody know?
2015-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules