Headed to Australia
1136 7 2015-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

Hi All,

Just found out that i have to head to Sydney and Melbourne in a couple of weeks. I would really like to take my inspire wih me, but from the looks of things with case sizes, I would need to check it, which worries me a great deal. I don't have confidenece in the "courtesy" case that was provided for this kind of trip. Obviously with my Phantom, carry on was not an issue (wish i hadn't sold it now).  I was thinking about this case http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-case.html , but not sure if anyone had expereince checking this as luggage on any flights? I have seen some post on this, but I haven't found any deffinate answers. Plese point me to this post if it exist

My other question is for you Australians I have looked into the rules as much as i can, and I find that Australian UAV rules seem fairly similar to the US rules and most of it is common sense. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues briniging this into and leaving the country. Any advise is greatly appreciated, I am on the fence to take it or leave it on this trip.

Thanks All!

Clint

2015-3-12
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

Clint, I live in Sydney and you are right there aren't too many regulations as yet on flying these aircraft. I've attached the leaflet that our aviation authority (CASA) provides when purchasing UAV's. As you can see it is common sense and obviously flying around airports, people, buildings, city streets and the Sydney Harbour area (without prior permission) and sensitive installations i.e. Defence establishments, Government buildings etc is a no, no. Apart from the usual battery restrictions on the flight over you shouldn't have any issues with bringing it in (unless somebody has any other experiences?). There are some recreational parks etc that local councils don't allow RC flying but they are well sign posted and you do so at your own risk of being fined (I've done it when they're empty). At this stage there are no restrictions on flying in National Parks (but I believe that will change in the future).  As you said its really just common sense and you have to be responsible for your own actions. Weather is going into Autumn now but it usually stays quite warm up until April (around 22-26 degrees celcius) in Sydney anyway. Hope you enjoy your stay and get to see as much as you can!
2015-3-12
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

Sorry forgot to add attachment for above.....
2015-3-12
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

flying_with_control_model.pdf (380.35 KB, Down times: 12)
2015-3-12
Use props
clintbarton
lvl.2

United States

Thank you so much for the information. Well this absolutely helps push me to bring it. Now if i can just figure out if i can check this guy without issue. Thanks again Steve!! Looking forward to the visit.
2015-3-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

The rules are simple but also really restrictive.   The blanket 30 meters (90 feet) from ANYTHING, buildings, people, ANYTHING means no beaches, no city or built up area stuff.   Much of we see from Inspire footage around the world would be considered illegal here.

So look for big, open spaces with no buildings or people around and you'll be fine.   I'm starting to run out of them!
2015-3-12
Use props
BrisVegasFotoFl
New

Australia

steve2909 Posted at 2015-3-13 10:47
Clint, I live in Sydney and you are right there aren't too many regulations as yet on flying these a ...

Also may want to check/read this    Hope you enjoy your time here

101c03.pdf

516.1 KB, Down times: 6

CASA

2015-3-12
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

I leave to Melbourne Australia in two weeks!!!!
2015-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules