6320 60 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am a FAA Licensed Remote Pilot (Part 107) that just lost the use of the new Phantom 4 Pro that I just spent $1900.00 on. The latest update limits the height to 30 m and distance to 50 m if you are not connected and logged in to the GO 4 App during flight. News Flash DJI!!! Mapping Apps will not work while running the App and GO at the same time. All kinds of crazy dangerous things can take place including a fly away! And this is for Safety!!
2017-6-10
Use props
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Surely you would be connected though - how else would you fly the drone?
2017-6-10
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I had no issues last night while flying my P4 and switching between apps. Everything worked as it did before.  Litchi etc.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Firstly when you start up your AC and RC log in , you can do basically what you like , you can throw away your phone fly whatever distance you like with RC on its own you can choose other apps no problems.

You can even start up your aircraft without signing in and although you are limited to 30 meters height , in the middle of your flight you can turn on your app log in and once this is done restrictions are lifted immediately.

I'm not to sure where your information is coming from about fly aways and other crazy stuff maybe you can enlighten us.

And yes I have started AC with RC and at 30 meters opened app and logged in.
2017-6-10
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

I want to know what commercial operation you would do without a device attached anyways. I'm confused.
2017-6-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 08:31
Firstly when you start up your AC and RC log in , you can do basically what you like , you can throw away your phone fly whatever distance you like with RC on its own you can choose other apps no problems.

You can even start up your aircraft without signing in and although you are limited to 30 meters height , in the middle of your flight you can turn on your app log in and once this is done restrictions are lifted immediately.

Can I ask, when you say logged in do you need a wifi or cell phone data connection, i.e. what would happen if you were in an area with no wifi or cell coverage ?
I assume all would still work just being connected to DJI Go 4 after the initial login to account which would be done at home.
2017-6-10
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-10 08:42
Can I ask, when you say logged in do you need a wifi or cell phone data connection, i.e. what would happen if you were in an area with no wifi or cell coverage ?
I assume all would still work just being connected to DJI Go 4 after the initial login to account which would be done at home.

I started mine with no internet connection last night no problem.
2017-6-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-10 08:44
I started mine with no internet connection last night no problem.

Thank you for the update, so after the initial login to re-register the aircraft to the account then all should be as before
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-10 08:42

Ok so when your getting ready to fly you just start up your dji go 4 app as you would normally do, a box will appear telling you that you are limited in flight if you do not log in you are given option to "log " in but really it's just a button, once pressed your in no longer restricted you can so long as your AC and remote are started close down djigo4 app and you won't be restricted. And No you don't need wifi it's just part of opening your App.
And as I said earlier you can take off without this log in and log in mid flight just start up your app log in and restrictions are gone.
2017-6-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 08:54
Ok so when your getting ready to fly you just start up your dji go 4 app as you would normally do, a box will appear telling you that you are limited in flight if you do not log in you are given option to "log " in but really it's just a button, once pressed your in no longer restricted you can so long as your AC and remote are started close down djigo4 app and you won't be restricted. And No you don't need wifi it's just part of opening your App.
And as I said earlier you can take off without this log in and log in mid flight just start up your app log in and restrictions are gone.

Thanks for the reply, yes it seems it's just a software audit trail, so whatever the outcome of the flight might be then DJI can say the pilot has accepted full responsibility for each flight he/she might make.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-10 08:57
Thanks for the reply, yes it seems it's just a software audit trail, so whatever the outcome of the flight might be then DJI can say the pilot has accepted full responsibility for each flight he/she might make.

I think that might well be the reason, but I suppose if your country has a height limit of 120m and distance VLOS 400m , but your AC can go a lot higher and further rather than restrict the aircraft for every country, they have passed over the full responsibility to the owners pilots,
I do think that all customers are fully protected from dji giving out information or data about owners or there AC to any third parties.

2017-6-10
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

I was getting that message on my P4P+ so I hooked the AC up to my computer and started up DJI Assistant, once it recognized the AC I just logged out and then logged back in. Started up controller and AC (after unhooking) message was gone and I just took it on a test flight and all was back to normal, took it up to over 300 feet and over 2000 feet away, all was fine.
2017-6-10
Use props
Pritch84
lvl.1

Thailand

Can I just clarify, so you don't need internet/cell to log in? Sometimes I'm flying from the middle of the ocean on small boats with zero internet coverage! I like to get shots of the islands.
2017-6-10
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Pritch84 Posted at 2017-6-10 10:57
Can I just clarify, so you don't need internet/cell to log in? Sometimes I'm flying from the middle of the ocean on small boats with zero internet coverage! I like to get shots of the islands.

You do not need internet or cell to fly. Only need wifi/internet connection when you are at home doing an update.
2017-6-10
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-10 08:31
I had no issues last night while flying my P4 and switching between apps. Everything worked as it did before.  Litchi etc.

I use Drone Deploy and they state that there is a conflict with the GO App.  With the previous version If I went into the GO App and then went into Drone Deploy the P4P would head off into the wild blue yonder at full speed. Fortunately I realized what was happening and did a RTH via the Drone Deploy App and it came home.
2017-6-10
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chewbacca Posted at 2017-6-10 08:18
Surely you would be connected though - how else would you fly the drone?

You fly it via the mapping app. The mapping app takes control of the Phantom.
2017-6-10
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am going by the release notes "To ensure safety, the flight will be limited to 30 m height and 50 m distance if you are not connected or logged into the DJI GO 4 app during flight" With Drone Deploy which I use if I go into the GO app and then Drone Deploy the Phantom has a mind of its own and sometimes won't do anything or a fly away. What I have to do is reboot everything, Phantom, RC, iPad and start from Drone Deploy and everything works fine through the Drone Deploy app. What the new release is stating above is that you cannot fly beyond the limits if you are not in the GO app. Map programs start at an average height of 61 m.
2017-6-10
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-10 08:37
I want to know what commercial operation you would do without a device attached anyways. I'm confused.

The devices are attached and connected. It is an issue of conflicts.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-10 12:29
The devices are attached and connected. It is an issue of conflicts.

I think you should be ok , so I log into dji go 4 with AC and RC started I can close djigo and start ie litchi no problems no restrictions,I don't use dronedeploy so am not familiar with problems you might have , but you don't need to be using go app while flying restrictions are lifted once your aircraft is started and you have logged in.
2017-6-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm still surprised that people have no problem believing that DJI are going to make the best ready-to-fly drone you can buy useless.
Really?
Do you really think they would do that?
Why?

It might help if you checked your facts before ringing alarm bells and making a goose of yourself.
2017-6-10
Use props
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-10 12:18
You fly it via the mapping app. The mapping app takes control of the Phantom.

why would you want to do that?
2017-6-10
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

So you now have to have an internet connected device to fly I take it?
2017-6-10
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-6-10 23:11

This should be dealt with by Snopes.com...
2017-6-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No, no and no.
Why, why, why is that so hard for you people to understand.

Really .. why would DJI do that?
2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

No you don't need any internet connection what so ever.
2017-6-11
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

The way I am reading it is....it asks you to be logged into the Go4 app or a DJI compatible app. It isn't saying you need to be connected to the internet. You don't necessarily need to be connected to the internet to use an app
2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-6-11 02:42
The way I am reading it is....it asks you to be logged into the Go4 app or a DJI compatible app. It isn't saying you need to be connected to the internet. You don't necessarily need to be connected to the internet to use an app

Although this is for Mavic it is exactly the same for Phantom.

2017-6-11
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-11 02:56

https://youtu.be/B5Z2SughGIM

Thank you for clarifying that. Pretty much as I had read it. It is a shame though that DJI leave it to a third party to produce an explanatory video when they could have done that very easily themselves.
2017-6-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-10 15:31
I'm still surprised that people have no problem believing that DJI are going to make the best ready-to-fly drone you can buy useless.
Really?
Do you really think they would do that?

Read the release before you open your usual uninformed arrogant mouth. You have insulted everyone on here at one time or another including DJI in your quest for points. You are a cleaner fish allright. You have driven the new people out of here with your insults to them when they ask a question and are still in the learning process. Unfortunately they are not as smart and experienced as you, the almighty, in your mind only. Very foolish and inmature. The end. I am not going to bring myself down to your level and get into a senseless flaming contest. You can't fix arrogance.
2017-6-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 12:47
I think you should be ok , so I log into dji go 4 with AC and RC started I can close djigo and start ie litchi no problems no restrictions,I don't use dronedeploy so am not familiar with problems you might have , but you don't need to be using go app while flying restrictions are lifted once your aircraft is started and you have logged in.

I know from experience that there is a conflict. Drone Deploy states that there is a conflict with the GO App. I have to reboot everything and start fresh from Drone Deploy. I may have to try Maps Made Easy. I like to keep my DJI updates current. I like the Phantom 4P and am in the process of buying an Inspire 2. This release came as a bit of a shock.
2017-6-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chewbacca Posted at 2017-6-10 22:50
why would you want to do that?

That is how mapping apps work. You load the area coordinates into the Phantom via the mapping app and the mapping app handles the flight path and controls the camera settings. I did a 15 Acre parcel the other day and the map consisted of 179 photos taken at a height of 150 feet. The photos are then stitched and returned to you as one file.
2017-6-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-11 02:56

Excellent video explanation about the update!
2017-6-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-6-11 02:42

I realize that. An Internet connection has nothing to do with the conflict. The conflict is with the 2 apps running at the same time.
2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-11 04:05
I know from experience that there is a conflict. Drone Deploy states that there is a conflict with the GO App. I have to reboot everything and start fresh from Drone Deploy. I may have to try Maps Made Easy. I like to keep my DJI updates current. I like the Phantom 4P and am in the process of buying an Inspire 2. This release came as a bit of a shock.

Inspire 2 yes I am seriously contemplating this myself hopefully there might be a price drop this year.
I'm drone deploy and dji should be able to get together and sort this soon.
Good luck.
2017-6-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-11 04:25
Inspire 2 yes I am seriously contemplating this myself hopefully there might be a price drop this year.
I'm drone deploy and dji should be able to get together and sort this soon.
Good luck.

Thanks, I like the program due to the fact that is what I started with and know it to the point that I am comfortable with it. I am sure the two will work it out. I may end up moving to Maps Made Easy. But then again there may be an issue there as well. On the I 2 price drop I don't see that coming. I am looking forward to a higher capacity battery for the I 2. to bring the flight time up a bit. I want to do mapping with that as well along with the P4P.
2017-6-11
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Can you be more precise? I have flown my own P4P after the recent firmware updates , with DJI GO 4 and DJI GS Pro without having any limitations, with my iPad 5th gen with WiFi turned off and without having to log in anywhere. Am I missing something?
2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-11 04:58
Can you be more precise? I have flown my own P4P after the recent firmware updates , with DJI GO 4 and DJI GS Pro without having any limitations, with my iPad 5th gen with WiFi turned off and without having to log in anywhere. Am I missing something?

Drone deploy is a third party app.
2017-6-11
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-11 04:35
Thanks, I like the program due to the fact that is what I started with and know it to the point that I am comfortable with it. I am sure the two will work it out. I may end up moving to Maps Made Easy. But then again there may be an issue there as well. On the I 2 price drop I don't see that coming. I am looking forward to a higher capacity battery for the I 2. to bring the flight time up a bit. I want to do mapping with that as well along with the P4P.

Rodger

After watching the video it would seem that you could start out with your device hooked up and logged into the Go App but once you start up the AC just disconnect the device and you would be logged out of the Go app. Reconnect your device and run drone deploy without logging into the Go app and it looks as though you would be ok? Have you tried that yet?
2017-6-11
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-11 05:03
Drone deploy is a third party app.

I understand that, Hallmark007, what I don't understand is  whether third party apps are *actually* jeopardized  -as in "tested after the updates and failed to perform", or if this is just what the user *thinks* would happen. Also, from a later post, it looks like there is a problem between Drone Deploy and the DJI Go 4  App, and IMHO DJI can't be blamed for that. it's the third party who is supposed to fix their app in case of conflict, isn't it? Lastly, I seem to understand that some people fly with two different apps running at the same time??? I don't have any third party app, but my understanding is that once I have verified my account once, I don't need to do it anymore -unless maybe if I log out completely- and the aircraft would be ok even using third party apps...
2017-6-11
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-11 04:17
I realize that. An Internet connection has nothing to do with the conflict. The conflict is with the 2 apps running at the same time.

I wasn't trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs. It was just an answer to the general "need to be connected to the internet?" that keeps cropping up.
2017-6-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules