"FAA says you can't post drone videos on youtube"
3870 35 2015-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

United States

For all of you nice folks in the US, is this true?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read ... e-videos-on-youtube
2015-3-13
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

That's why none of my videos are monetized.  I make no money from them and are simply shared for enjoyment.  If someone asks for video or pictures I offer to do it for the hobby of it only.  Until all this mess gets straightened out at least.  Whether any of it could or should be enforced now, who really has the time to deal with worrying about it and getting caught up in all the red tape.
2015-3-13
Use props
corso_tony
lvl.2

United States

I have a hard time believing the FAA would be chasing down drone enthusiasts who post their clips on youtube or any other web site.  Not doubting the letter you posted about...but drone footage is everywhere now...
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

This is all total BS.  If the FAA wanted to fine someone, it wouldn't be the pilot that made the video, it would be youtube for making money from the ads.
2015-3-13
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

nom de guerre Posted at 2015-3-13 18:48
No offence to our American cousins but thank God I live in Australia. They (FAA) seem to have an age ...

"I'll give you my drone when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"
2015-3-13
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

The FAA not using common sense again. :@
2015-3-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

rdc4444@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-13 21:09
The FAA not using common sense again.

What do you mean 'again'?  When it comes to UAV's and hobbyists they have never made sense.

What about the guy in Colorado (?) who posted the vid of flight at 1100 ft. altitude?  I bet he didn't get a letter.
2015-3-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another strange part is that the folks with the guns claim they have the right to shoot down any drones they see near their property! Think about that - they have the "right" to destroy aircraft and shoot projectiles thousands of feet into public space.....but someone else doesn't have the right to public airspace? You'd think some of these folks never heard of zoom cameras, ladders, roof decks, skyscrapers and hills (all of which combine to invade our privacy when wanted).

Luckily, law enforcement takes a dim view of gun discharges into the sky - at least in most places. But, heck, out west there is a guy running for Congress whose TV commercial is HIM shooting down a quadcopter! That's a commercial use, isn't it?
2015-3-13
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-13 21:14
What do you mean 'again'?  When it comes to UAV's and hobbyists they have never made sense.

What  ...

what about the idiot who flew his phantom at night and admitted to drinking while crashing into the white hiuse lawn, i believe the faa didnt do a thing.
2015-3-13
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

I believe FAA is really overstepping their boundaries by trying to go after Youtube.  FAA going after Youtube is petty - they really need to worry about bigger things.
Just my 1/50th of a dollar,
Brian
2015-3-13
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

China

Well, since several of you have compared guns with drones, I think it is about time that the civilian drone industry "sponsor" a good lobbying group, comparable to, say, the NRA?

I'm sure that DJI, with its projected 1st Billion $ in sales this year, would have some funds allocated for that purpose

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1 ... illion-dollar-sales
2015-3-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-13 21:25
Another strange part is that the folks with the guns claim they have the right to shoot down any dro ...

While looking for the commercial you speak of (could not find it anywhere - got a candidates name?) I found this article.  I link here only for the picture - a Phantom with what looks like a piece of cardboard taped between the landing gear with a dSLR sitting in it.  And you can see the gimbal cable hanging down nekkid.

If you want a little chuckle, check out the pic.  The article is nothing.

EDIT to add: "A campaign ad from a Montana congressional candidate shows him shooting down a government drone that was spying on him." Just found this so now I have the name.
2015-3-13
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-13 21:25
Another strange part is that the folks with the guns claim they have the right to shoot down any dro ...

The folks with guns? A little anti-gun are ya? Are you implying everyone who supports the 2A wants to shoot down drones?
2015-3-13
Use props
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-13 21:14

What  ...

Not sure if you're referring to myself (haven't seen any other posts that sound similar) but in a sens it does illustrate issues with clarity to regs and how they blur with with enforcement/enforceability.

If you were referencing myself, although my video was at 11,000' above sea level that was to convey reduced lift given the thinner atmosphere while my P2 at it's highest was no more than ~200' AGL (above ground level) which is what the FAA regulations pertain to when they cap our legal ceiling at @400'. However even this is foggy because here in CO, we've plenty of area where I may fly even 20' away from myself and suddenly it's >400' above the ground. Contouring to ensure a perfect ~400' ceiling is impossible in several areas.

To play devils advocate, the proposed FAA regs for commercial use are actually quite reasonable, and they're looking to fast-track them which looks to be a very good thing. As for the YouTube postings, I can't seem to find the original source, but I've seen a quote from the FAA that in general they aren't looking to just prosecute any operator who's made a couple bucks, but more focused on if they see anything where there is above normal risk to people/private property, that's where they'll crack down and actually go after someone. (like the kid who made money for the video flying close to cars/people on a college campus).
2015-3-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Glitch Posted at 2015-3-13 23:23
Not sure if you're referring to myself (haven't seen any other posts that sound similar) but in a  ...

My only reference was to the FAA not being clear or making sense.
2015-3-13
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

does anyone here make money monetizing their YouTube videos?
2015-3-13
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

nom de guerre Posted at 2015-3-13 18:48
No offence to our American cousins but thank God I live in Australia. They (FAA) seem to have an age ...

Guy

I guess a way to explain the difference would be to reference the brutal butchery in one of your parks this week of a woman talking on the phone to her husband.  If she had only had a drone......
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-3-14 00:30
Guy

I guess a way to explain the difference would be to reference the brutal butchery in one of y ...

How many instances of that happening compared to the slaughter of the school kids in the US?
2015-3-13
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

IF this is a true story (it sound like BS like The Onion) then it only applies to YouTube.  There are many other free sites with out commercials/ads like Vimeo.com
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-3-14 00:42
IF this is a true story (it sound like BS like The Onion) then it only applies to YouTube.  There ar ...

I also think it is a BS story.  The FAA has more important things to do then to go after posters with hobby postings.
2015-3-13
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

so what if i use real helicopter and make some aerial footage
2015-3-13
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-14 00:32
How many instances of that happening compared to the slaughter of the school kids in the US?

Post deleted by author
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-3-14 00:56
Well actually Gerry (according to the study commissioned by the Obama administration through the C ...

Yes it is off topic, I was just pointing out butchery happens anywhere at any time.  No one wants to take away ALL your guns.
2015-3-13
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

Guns don't kill people, people kill people = drones don't spy/snoop on people, people spy/snoop on people.  Punish the person, not the tool.

Brian
2015-3-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-3-14 02:40
Guns don't kill people, people kill people = drones don't spy/snoop on people, people spy/snoop on p ...

while i agree with this, it somewhat oversimplifies the equation.  sure people kill people, not objects.  but that doesnt mean that all objects should be totally uncontrolled/unregulated with the only safety net being punishment of the 'people' that misbehave.

rocket launchers dont kill people, people kill people.  but that doesnt mean that we should allow rocket launchers for sale at Walmart.

conversely, people kill people not guns, so we shouldnt remove every gun from every house in the US to keep people from using them.

the truth is in the middle.  you have reasonable rules and laws that dont overstep either direction.  actually, part of the problem is that most people on the extreme sides of the equation arent willing to compromise for the good of the community.

i dont believe in laws that prevent people from owning guns.  i do believe in laws that control how and where guns can affect people's life/safety.  i dont believe in laws that prevent people from owning drones.  i do believe in laws that control how and where drones can affect people's life/safety.  

the trick isnt to agree on the extremes, but to agree on the compromises
2015-3-13
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-14 03:04
while i agree with this, it somewhat oversimplifies the equation.  sure people kill people, not ob ...

Well said...let's leave it there....
2015-3-13
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

To quote my reply to a similar thread n the inspire 1 forum:

So let  me get this straight........ Someone filed a complaint about this ONE guy out of THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of users who posts videos of their drones on YOUTUBE... ?? How did FAA got his address and real name to beguin with. (ok the guy was stupid enough to use his real name on youtube, Go figures) But even if thats the case i find this hard to believe... Very fishy story, the guy doesn't even have 1000 suscribers, Put all of his videos togthers and you not even close to a million views.... And you are telling me that FAA went after him for something thats not even againts any current LAWS OR REGULATIONS ????? YEAH OK.. THE SECRET SERVICE JUST CONFISCATED MY DRONE FOR  CALLING IT OBAMA.... Give me a break...

In short i call this BS/MADE UP/FAKE.
2015-3-13
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

+1 on the FAKE/BS call.  Even if it's not the FAA has about the same teeth as the recording industry did with illegally downloading.  Send out a scary letter followed by suing a couple of hundred kids.  Never went anywhere.  This won't either.  There are folks out there running full blown businesses based around drone footage and the FAA hasn't been able to shut them down.  Not going to worry about this one bit.  I posted my vacation video's on Facebook.  Hope I don't get a letter.  

2015-3-13
Use props
Mr Electronics
New

New Zealand

Glitch Posted at 2015-3-13 23:23
Not sure if you're referring to myself (haven't seen any other posts that sound similar) but in a  ...

Here a post on infowars.com

Banned: FAA Says It Is Illegal To Post Drone Videos on Youtube…

http://www.infowars.com/banned-f ... zens-is-authorized/
2015-3-13
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

United States

nom de guerre Posted at 2015-3-13 19:11
We want to see a video of a Phantom chase your Golf Ball up the fairway!!

Regards

Guy, sorry to disappoint you I clocked my downswing and the phantom will have to travel from 0 to 125 Mph in 0.37 seconds. No can do. And I'm not going put the Phantom in front of me lest it gets shot down like what Jason Day did hahahaha
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

godfrey.dayo@po Posted at 2015-3-14 08:51
Guy, sorry to disappoint you  I clocked my downswing and the phantom will have to travel from 0  ...

They can if they have warp drive.
2015-3-13
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-14 08:55
They can if they have warp drive.

Oh dear, now I have to watch Star Trek again to see how to initiate "warp drive"
2015-3-13
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Well actually Gerry (according to the study commissioned by the Obama administration through the C ...

I'm with you.
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

NO ONE is trying to take away ALL your guns!  I'd done on this subject, it doesn't belong on this forum!
2015-3-13
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-14 09:31
NO ONE is trying to take away ALL your guns!  I'd done on this subject, it doesn't belong on this  ...

Gerry
Sorry if this post is popping up. I only posted it once and I'm done with it too.
2015-3-13
Use props
austin
lvl.2

United States

Mr Electronics  Posted at 2015-3-14 07:14
Here a post on infowars.com

Banned: FAA Says It Is Illegal To Post Drone Videos on Youtube…

Yeah, the FAA stands for Fu@#%NG  A$$#@%^  Administration
2015-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules