Thermal for the Mavic?
8441 6 2017-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

OK, so I am hanging out on Saturday night (vacation place), and like always, around dusk Mr. Bear shows up as I can hear him a slight distance away, so I scramble to get my Mavic in the air, and after getting it out of the bag, getting the phone hooked to the remote, pre-flight and all that, I finally get the thing in the air to go find him to see where he goes.  Basically, by the time I got the thing in the air, he has already checked out of the area I heard him coming from.  I searched for about 15 minutes and could not locate him so I gave up.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he gave me the slip.  I could not find him anywhere.  Probably below the tree canopy somewhere that I can't see.  He is always in the area about that time of day, but I can never figure  out where he comes from and where he goes, so that is why I wanted to  track him....  He won't come down anymore to where I am at since the two of us exchanged some words and we have both determined that my area is my area and it is off limits to him when I am around, but I think in the name of safety, knowing where he comes from and where he goes will prevent any sort of altercations in the future, as in me accidently running into him where one of us ends up dead.

So the idea is a a good lightweight FLIR thermal system so I can see body heat.  I'd like this as a suppliment to the camera so I can use either on a given flight.  Anyone got any ideas?

2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

This idea is dumb.  Hanging a cell phone with a thermal camera off the bottom.  Not to mention cell phone thermal cameras are super short ranged.

2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

This one is more than the Mavic itself:

2017-6-12
Use props
DwoneFlyer
lvl.1

France

Anyone got any ideas?
Therapy.

That second one is cool, just talking about using the mavic on the next hunting trip. what sort of range? not to worry i'll google it
2017-6-12
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have the money. Try this link: FLIR Drone Cameras.
2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-12 15:00
If you have the money. Try this link: FLIR Drone Cameras.

Now isn't that the real issue...  A flying drone FLIR camera that costs 2.5x the cost of the drone.  I think a $500 to $1000 camera is what I was looking for.  

And it is not so much about the money more than the risk of losing both drone and camera due to a hardware failure...  It really comes down to the amount of risk one is willing to accept more than anything.
2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DwoneFlyer Posted at 2017-6-12 14:18
Anyone got any ideas?
Therapy.

Notes from what I have learned so far:

The 320x200 resolutions will probably be the sweet spot between cost and capability.  

The 160x100 cameras really don't have sufficient resolution to identify anything out past a certain range.  Even close range objects are hard to identify unless you are on top of them.  From the sky, forget it being very useful.  

The only advantage the 640x400 res cameras have on the 320x200 is that they are just more detailed but will really not offer any more range.
2017-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules