Fed up with Android: what apple device do you recommend?
1481 31 2017-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

Hi,
Actually I love Android and my phone, but I'm fed up with DJI Go crashing on it all the time.
So I'm thinking of purchasing a cheap apple device just for flying.
What do you recommend? Stability is the main requirement.
2017-6-13
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Oh: a bright screen is also a requirement as I often fly in full sun.
2017-6-13
Use props
shorey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 445630 ft
United Kingdom

iPhone 6 or later
2017-6-13
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Thanks for the recommendation; but at EUR 250+ second hand it's certainly not cheap
2017-6-13
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Best Buy has the Ipad Mini4 wifi 128 Gb  on sale for $299 . Might as well go for broke
2017-6-13
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ipad mini 4 ,  cell version has been a amazing step up in reliability  for my Mavic.   and i am an Android lover !
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

My son and I both have 2 or 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab S Tablets (Android) that have really been nice for everything we have used them for, except our Mavic Pro's.  Done all we can to make them work better, and they do, but not well enough to be safe to fly with.  Andy order us a couple of these to try.  I really hate the idea of using ANYTHING apple hearing the horror stories I have about how basically slave labor is being used in the factories where Apples are made.   Should have these tomorrow or the next day and we will be testing them right away.  I'll make a new post on this forum to let everyone know how it went.

-Rodger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-6-13
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 03:43
My son and I both have 2 or 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab S Tablets (Android) that have really been nice for everything we have used them for, except our Mavic Pro's.  Done all we can to make them work better, and they do, but not well enough to be safe to fly with.  Andy order us a couple of these to try.  I really hate the idea of using ANYTHING apple hearing the horror stories I have about how basically slave labor is being used in the factories where Apples are made.   Should have these tomorrow or the next day and we will be testing them right away.  I'll make a new post on this forum to let everyone know how it went.

-Rodger

You're taking risks going with another Android product for the Mavic...
2017-6-13
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

-Rodger

Based on the prices of these tablets, I'm sure they were built with the use of nothing but highly paid workers.
2017-6-13
Use props
oscar-dk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

http://forum.dji.com/thread-100020-1-1.html
2017-6-13
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

Petroboy Posted at 2017-6-13 13:03
Based on the prices of these tablets, I'm sure they were built with the use of nothing but highly paid workers.

LOL!!! Exactly. F*** that's funny.
2017-6-13
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

I wouldn't go with an iPhone since you already have phones. Maybe an iPad mini or one of the iPads
2017-6-13
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

-Rodger

And EVERY OTHER manufacturer who uses Foxconn or any other Chinese manufacturer pay 20 X what Apple pays and every worker gets a Brand New Mercedes Benz as a signing bonus.  I'm sure the tablets you've ordered from Amazon were made by workers getting paid $125,000.00 US.

Try actually READING the news and doing your due diligence research before you spout "I've heard . . ." As facts.

2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

floco Posted at 2017-6-13 12:53
You're taking risks going with another Android product for the Mavic...

What have you tried on your Android?  What app version and do you have any settings blocked?  I almost never get crashes anymore, but I say almost in that on rare occasion, it will.
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-13 13:52
And EVERY OTHER manufacturer who uses Foxconn or any other Chinese manufacturer pay 20 X what Apple pays and every worker gets a Brand New Mercedes Benz as a signing bonus.  I'm sure the tablets you've ordered from Amazon were made by workers getting paid $125,000.00 US.

Try actually READING the news and doing your due diligence research before you spout "I've heard . . ." As facts.

You seem to be ranting and not make yourself very clear.  I surmise you are attempting to discredit the FACT that Apple has been using underpaid and underage (slave) labor for years and years.  You really need to curb your semi-aggressive tendencies I would say.  Do some googling around, have a look-see.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/2/ ... ing-conditions-2015

And 100's or maybe 1,000's more just like it.

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I have been using the Galaxy S7 Edge with my Mavic with mixed results (frequent crashes). I also own an OSMO+, which has its own set of issues with the S7 (won't go into it here). So I was thinking of buying an iPod Touch, which is basically an iPhone without the cell phone. I'd use it with both the Mavic and the OSMO+... basically dedicated to DJI hardware.
2017-6-13
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

-Rodger

Good luck with the new tablets. Looking forward to your report... could be a good alternative.
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

I may not need a tablet, as these DJI goggles seem to be working just peachy!  Will need numbers of flights to test most/all of what it is and can do for me, but the initial flight was wonderful.

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 15:10
You seem to be ranting and not make yourself very clear.  I surmise you are attempting to discredit the FACT that Apple has been using underpaid and underage (slave) labor for years and years.  You really need to curb your semi-aggressive tendencies I would say.  Do some googling around, have a look-see.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8024895/apple-slave-labor-working-conditions-2015

And EVERY COMPANY - not just Apple - that uses Foxconn and the majority of the Chinese manufacturing chain is just as guilty.  I'd be willing to bet that the manufacturer of your tablet pays even less than the employees who work on the Apple line.

Apple has devoted a whole division to maintain "Supplier Integrity" as far as wages and working conditions - do your research and I don't just mean The Verge - actually login to Apple and read there Supplier Integrity statements and reports.

Where do you think the majority of all electronics devices are made: China.  And it's not up to the "Name" on the device to set the wages: it's the manufacturing company.  Because of all the negative press - justifiable in many cases - that Apple started the whole process of overseeing the working conditions and mandatory overtime.  I don't hear any stories about ANY OTHER manufacturer setting up similar oversight on factory's making their products.

As far as my "Aggressiveness" yes, because I'm tired of people who read one or two articles and assume it to be The Gospel - and not look into the real story - and quote it with authority.Let me help you with some research:  this is a link to the Apple Supplier Document and it tells you what Apple expects from its suppliers:  https://images.apple.com/supplie ... sible-Standards.pdf

I'm sorry if I offended you but I will call out your ignorance of The Facts and quoting an old story that has been updated numerous times since it was published.

Due your own research - including the tablet you and your son have purchased.  I don't have any facts on the manufacturer but I'm willing to bet that whatever name is on that tablet doesn't spend anywhere near what Apple does to ensure the condition of the workers building their products.

2017-6-14
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Late apology to @Floco - sorry I highjacked your question.

Obviously I am an Apple & DJI enthusiast.  I'm using an iPad Mini 4 (GSM) and have had zero problems.  Cheap - sorry to say, no but it is reliable and I've had no problems with updating my Mavic F/W or disconnects between the RC and the iPad.

Good Luck and Good Flying.
2017-6-14
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543110 ft
Ukraine

I'm flying using Google Nexus 6 downgraded to Android 6. Was very unstable with Android 7, but after downgrade not a single crash.  I think you can get Nexus 6 very cheap.
2017-6-14
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

The tablets are due in sometime tomorrow.  Andy is all setup with the right sized hoodman sunshades, but my sunshades are for the 8" tablet.  If these new tablets work well, I guess I will just buy another hoodman sunshade as they are very nice and do present a much better view then anything short of the dji goggles in my opinion.

-Rodger
2017-6-14
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I tried Fji Go 4 on Nvidia K1 and had video downlink problem and error warningS. Running Litchi is better, rarely encounter problem. For iOS, iPhone so far no single problem. IPad mini 4 occasionally video streaming and connecting lost.
2017-6-14
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

I prefer Litchi on K1.
2017-6-14
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

By the way, I suggest you to connect power bank to left-side usb to supply power to rc and use mid-rc usb to connect to K1. 10,000 mA is fine. Mavic rc charges K1 all the time.
2017-6-14
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-6-13 03:33
Best Buy has the Ipad Mini4 wifi 128 Gb  on sale for $299 . Might as well go for broke

+1 the iPad Mini is the way to go and with the new iPad release the older version are now cheap
2017-6-14
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

Seriously just use the Litchi app. I used to get crashes every 5 to 10 minutes on dji go 4 app. With Litchi every flight is smooth.
2017-6-14
Use props
fans2af304fc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102999 ft
Singapore

The app only crashed once on my Huawei Mate 9. May be you get a more powerful android phone?
2017-6-14
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

OK: I bought myself an ipad mini 2 and I'm not happy: there is no way to do a screen recording easily on iOS. I'm returning the device and I'm stopping thinking about Apple ecosystem.
That said DJI Go 4 does work fine, but I absolutely need screen recording.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8379 ft
United States

-Rodger

Most of what is in your home is made by Chinese slave labor.
2017-6-18
Use props
Desiboyz
lvl.1
South Africa

I have exclusively used Android but realised that the Mavic is most content with an Apple device. Purchased an iPad mini 4 and it now works flawlessly. I hate that it is so restrictive (cannot receive sms's from android, cannot make phone calls, cannot downgrade apps easily) but it does what I need it to do with the Mavic.
2017-6-18
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

-Rodger

350 nits is not that bright.
2017-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules