Sending in Mavic for firmware upgrade issue
1275 13 2017-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3729cf3a
New
Flight distance : 19058 ft
United States

Just bought my Mavic on June 9th, as soon as I recieved it I attempted to upgrade firmware, it gets to about 57% and stops (on each version of FW). Cannot downgrade, cannot upgrade. I have spent at least 8 hours troubleshooting the problem on multiple PC and Mac machines through Assistant 2, as well as different devices with DJI Go installed. Different USB cables, different SD cards. Nothing works. I eventually caved and called support, where we troubleshooted for another hour, nothing. He eventually suggested I send in the Mavic for repair.
Sad that I have maybe an hour of flight time and already have to send it in.

My question is, will I have to send in my Mavic everytime there is a new firmware upgrade?
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Sending it in, most likely, will get you a used replacement in return.  Is this what you want?  Today, your purchase is 4 days old.  Return for refund is but a step away.  Just my thoughts.
2017-6-13
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

When you say is stops, does it give you an error code or are you just thinking it is not responding and turning it off ?
The firmware update can take up to half an hour sometimes, so just let it sit there and do its thing....
I received my Mavic back in November and have done every update since with no trouble, just using the app and following the instructions on screen.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-6-13 07:00
When you say is stops, does it give you an error code or are you just thinking it is not responding and turning it off ?
The firmware update can take up to half an hour sometimes, so just let it sit there and do its thing....
I received my Mavic back in November and have done every update since with no trouble, just using the app and following the instructions on screen.

When I say stops, I mean it fails. Error code "undefined 0x020106". See attached screenshots.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-6-13 07:00

http://imgur.com/3vV98DA
http://imgur.com/hnDD6p1
http://imgur.com/Y0JbNxB
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 06:59
Sending it in, most likely, will get you a used replacement in return.  Is this what you want?  Today, your purchase is 4 days old.  Return for refund is but a step away.  Just my thoughts.

I'm considering that. It would be quicker than repairing. Do you know if DJI Refresh gets refunded or transferred to a new Mavic?
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

fans3729cf3a Posted at 2017-6-13 07:09
I'm considering that. It would be quicker than repairing. Do you know if DJI Refresh gets refunded or transferred to a new Mavic?

We have a couple of the Mavics and actually we own a lot of DJI equipment.  One of the Mavic's had a bad sensor (a known issue due to poor quality control) and we had to send it back for replacement.  Purchased through one of the large camera outlets we buy equipment from, and they made it possible to do a return for a new one.  If we would have allowed DJI to take over this purchase (which is usually the case in most instances) it's hard to say what would have transpired.  DJI isn't the typical manufacture by any stretch.  They have forced their vendors against the wall when it comes to replacements.  It still needs to go through DJI, but if the vendor is large enough and wants to bad enough, they can still do this through their store.

What all of this means to me is, don't trust DJI to do the right thing.  Better to trust them to do what they think best serves their interest.  Hard way to do business sometimes with this hanging over your head as a customer, but unfortunately DJI has made it's choice to do things this way as it to is being force upon us.

Just protect your own interest first.  And in this case it seems to be pretty cut and dried.  You did what you should have and let DJI tech support try and help you fix it.  That's as far as I would go with this particular purchase with DJI.  And that is only because of how they have proven to treat customers.  I would ask for a full refund, including shipping.  Once that is complete, do another purchase if you choose, but only through a MAJOR camera outlet, or Amazon, or Newegg.  You can transfer any added extended warranty options to the new unit, as you can provide both the original purchase invoice, the return refund invoice, and the new purchase invoice.

Hope the best for you no matter what you choose to do.

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
fansfef9c3ca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23835 ft
Malaysia

Hello

I have the same problem, i spent countless hours for the past 2 days to update it.

This morning finally i able to update it to .800 from .400 to .550, .550 to  .800

I have a solution, can you try it out?

1. Update the Mavic via DJI Assistant 2
2. It will stuck at 57% and reboot the first time
3. Disconnect the USB cable and disconnect battery
4. Do not close the DJI Assistant 2 software ****IMPORTANT****
4. Charge the battery to full 100%
5. Connect the battery to the Mavic and USB to Mavic
6. DJI Assistant will continue from 57% and will successfully update it

Please update from .400 to .550 first if you have a brand new shipped and it should have the .400 default firmware.

Then update to .600 with Assistant 2 with the method above

Then from .600 to .800 is an ease
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

This happened to me using the app, I think it's when you have mobile data & wifi on the mobile, try turning mobile data off and just use wifi or just use mobile data, don't have both on
I had many same messages but clicking continue/download eventually got to 100%
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 07:41
We have a couple of the Mavics and actually we own a lot of DJI equipment.  One of the Mavic's had a bad sensor (a known issue due to poor quality control) and we had to send it back for replacement.  Purchased through one of the large camera outlets we buy equipment from, and they made it possible to do a return for a new one.  If we would have allowed DJI to take over this purchase (which is usually the case in most instances) it's hard to say what would have transpired.  DJI isn't the typical manufacture by any stretch.  They have forced their vendors against the wall when it comes to replacements.  It still needs to go through DJI, but if the vendor is large enough and wants to bad enough, they can still do this through their store.

What all of this means to me is, don't trust DJI to do the right thing.  Better to trust them to do what they think best serves their interest.  Hard way to do business sometimes with this hanging over your head as a customer, but unfortunately DJI has made it's choice to do things this way as it to is being force upon us.

Fortunately, I purchased this one through Best Buy. They have a lenient return policy of 14 days, however, they have recently imposed a 15% restocking fee on all digital imaging products (cameras, lenses, drones).

The first Mavic I had purchased was returned for a faulty gimbal, they exchanged that one no problem, but then proceeded to warn me about the restocking fee if I choose to return the replacement. I understand why the restocking fee is in place, to combat customers with malicious intent to "rent" drones and other equipment. My fear is that, as it stands, 2 of the Mavics I have purchased were faulty in someway, and at this rate, I can only conclude that the third one will be as well. So, I'm hesitant to roll the dice on yet another exchange.

I also work at a production company and we do use a lot of DJI equipment, so it is imperative that these drones have impeccable quality.

I don't know how many times Best Buy will exchange a $1,400 purchase before they begin to have suspicions, but at this point I am considering switching brands.

I appreciate  your feedback Rodger.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

fansfef9c3ca Posted at 2017-6-13 08:13
Hello

I have the same problem, i spent countless hours for the past 2 days to update it.

I will give it a shot. Thanks.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans3729cf3a
New
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-13 08:21
This happened to me using the app, I think it's when you have mobile data & wifi on the mobile, try turning mobile data off and just use wifi or just use mobile data, don't have both on
I had many same messages but clicking continue/download eventually got to 100%

I've tried different variances of this. I've even waited after the update package has downloaded to %100 and switching to airplane mode when the installation process began, fails everytime.
2017-6-13
Use props
fansfef9c3ca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23835 ft
Malaysia

fans3729cf3a Posted at 2017-6-13 08:52
I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Do update me if it is successfully at your Mavic

As I have successfully done it this morning after strangling for few days
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

BTW, even though I might seem hard on DJI, I am not.  What I am hard on is treating people unfairly.  Simply put, do unto others as you would have other do unto you.  I'm 67 years old, and I have lived by that concept since before I can remember (at least a few years now, HA).  DJI has a remarkable ability to produce things very many of us like and want.  They should really work on the "treating others" thing though.

Also, my Goggles just arrived a few minutes ago.

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules