Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND filters - for us noobs....
1253 18 2017-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Hi Folks,
I've seen some talk of ND filters being used to help with light/sun glare times,
I was just wondering if the experts could possibly advise to any new to this (like me) which ones are best to get for which type of situation...
I live in quite a sunny area but don't have any filters as yet, but looking for advice on best ones to use in general....

Any tips or advice welcome...

Cheers
2017-6-13
Use props
fansfef9c3ca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23835 ft
Malaysia

Hello

You can get the set of 4, ND4, ND8, ND16 and CPL
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

fansfef9c3ca Posted at 2017-6-13 08:09
Hello

You can get the set of 4, ND4, ND8, ND16 and CPL

I know bud, but what are each for ? I'm looking for advice on what situation/environment would be used on each....is ND 8 a good start for a bright day etc ?
2017-6-13
Use props
fansfef9c3ca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23835 ft
Malaysia

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-13 08:11
I know bud, but what are each for ? I'm looking for advice on what situation/environment would be used on each....is ND 8 a good start for a bright day etc ?

There are few ways to capture video or photos without ND

First, use low ISO, which is ISO100

Then you can play with the exposure compensation, -0.3 EV, -1.0EV, -2.0EV depending on the lighting condition

ND filter is to get the exposure not to over exposed with lowest ISO

If you sunlight condition with ISO100, you can't get a good shot, you need to try out different ND filter

I cannot say that ND8 will suit you
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

fansfef9c3ca Posted at 2017-6-13 08:34
There are few ways to capture video or photos without ND

First, use low ISO, which is ISO100

Thanks for the advice I don't have pc power for post production so just looking at how I can get it as good as I can straight from the camera etc..... I wish they had put nicer camera options and auto focus option for learners, and then give more experienced ability to turn it off to manually play with lol

If I set it to sunny, the video seems less color than putting on normal for example, I thought sunny would combat high sun and hold colors more, but weirdly normal set achieves that, I guess it's more practice needed, hope they bring in more options for the none pro photographers out here.

2017-6-13
Use props
Safari
First Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

The stronger the sunshine is, the stronger your ND filter should be. A set with ND 8, 16, 32 should suit your needs to keep your shutter speed double as your frame rate within a low ISO range (100-200)
2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

After testing this weekend, I'd get a 16 too.  8 for partly cloudy.  16 for no clouds.
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

Safari Posted at 2017-6-13 08:50
The stronger the sunshine is, the stronger your ND filter should be. A set with ND 8, 16, 32 should suit your needs to keep your shutter speed double as your frame rate within a low ISO range (100-200)

Thanks safari, I've ordered a Pentaq ND8 will look into the others, I'm not wanting Pro quality, just the best I can get for family viewing etc
2017-6-13
Use props
Safari
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-13 08:54
Thanks safari, I've ordered a Pentaq ND8 will look into the others, I'm not wanting Pro quality, just the best I can get for family viewing etc

Take a look at Polar Pro filters or Taco RC (using the taco set myself and happy with results)
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-13 08:53
After testing this weekend, I'd get a 16 too.  8 for partly cloudy.  16 for no clouds.

Cheers xman1, will be getting on amazon later on then appreciate the feedback.
2017-6-13
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

Safari Posted at 2017-6-13 08:54
Take a look at Polar Pro filters or Taco RC (using the taco set myself and happy with results)

Great info also, just what I needed, cheers!
2017-6-13
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63012 ft
Malaysia

Safari Posted at 2017-6-13 08:54

Hi, did you get the multi coated or the normal ones from Taco RC?
Do we need ND32 ? i live in Malaysia (summer all year long) with bright sunlight during high noon.
2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-13 09:45
Cheers xman1, will be getting on amazon later on then  appreciate the feedback.

ND16 would obviously be perfect in this area if it was full sun.  See this thread:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-98291-2-1.html
2017-6-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Also see youtube for explanations of how and when to use the filters.  Since the camera has a FIXED APERTURE lens, it is harder to come up with proper exposure while maintaining the optimum shutter rate for good video.  Choosing the right filter for the right conditions will go a long way toward giving you nice video.
2017-6-13
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Polar-Pro has an app that helps you select the correct filter based on the given light conditions...

https://www.polarprofilters.com/pages/polarpro-app
2017-6-13
Use props
Safari
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Arcaniz Posted at 2017-6-13 10:32
Hi, did you get the multi coated or the normal ones from Taco RC?
Do we need ND32 ? i live in Malaysia (summer all year long) with bright sunlight during high noon.

I took the normal ones as they just filled my needs. The multi coated ones would be a bit better. I guess in Malaysia you could easily need an ND 32 if shooting in bright sunlight. The ND 16 could be a tad short
2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-13 11:09
Also see youtube for explanations of how and when to use the filters.  Since the camera has a FIXED APERTURE lens, it is harder to come up with proper exposure while maintaining the optimum shutter rate for good video.  Choosing the right filter for the right conditions will go a long way toward giving you nice video.

I have the app.  Problem is, by the time I got the filter installed and drone ready to go, a cloud rolled in.  I filmed anyway.  

The app seems best when all conditions are similar as it changes its filter selection based on only one cam angle.  Seems you have to add a bit of common sense.
2017-6-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

The higher the shutter speed the less motion blur you will have in your video footage. So on a bright, sunny day you will need to increase your shutter speed drastically in order for the amount of light hitting the sensor to be controlled to create an effective exposure value. However, by doing this, any motion in your footage will be compromised and look unnatural to the naked eye. Applying an ND filter blocks a set amount of light through f-stop values built into the filter and will thus enable you to lower the shutter speed to increase motion blur without over exposing the footage.

The brighter the lighting conditions, the stronger the density the filter needs to be. For example an ND4 has 2 f-stops which is best used on bright evenings in the golden hour. An ND32 has 5 f-stops that is best used in very bright, cloudless blue sky conditions. Applying an ND filter is typically not required for photography unless you are aiming to capture motion blur through long exposure compositions in which case an ND64 up to an ND1000 may be appropriate. The notion that an ND filter is used like sunglasses to simply reduce exposure is not correct as this can be achieved through the shutter speed and/or aperture controls but if you want to have control over all of these settings to create motion blur and reduce the possibility of issues like diffraction of light, depth of field then ND's are useful.  
2019-9-4
Use props
MJRH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23825 ft

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-6-13 11:25
Polar-Pro has an app that helps you select the correct filter based on the given light conditions...

https://www.polarprofilters.com/pages/polarpro-app

This is a really helpful link, thanks!
2019-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules