Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Haven
lvl.1
Flight distance : 325023 ft
Australia

Hi everyone,

I have a simple question,
When I turn around if it 180 degrees or about. The footage skips or is quite choppy. But the flights when going straight or slightly turning can be fine.

Why is this do you think.

Ty
2017-6-14
Use props
Drone Haven
lvl.1
Australia

This video does it at 11:37. (This is not my video) But its a perfect example
2017-6-14
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Depends, if the Gimbal cannot compensate for the rapid deceleration it will cause this jump, soften the braking might help. Ver .800 does not suffer this jerkiness as the braking appears to been softer following the update.
2017-6-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I don't see a video or link to the video you reference, but it's likely that your video frame rate is too slow to smoothly capture your turning speed. Solutions: use a higher frame rate or go for slower turns.
2017-6-14
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I have this exact issue; almost all the time.  My turning speed is very slow/nothing to do with frame rates; also occurs on every video setting.  Last night it actually caused me to crash into a tree (30' up!) because the video lagged.  This is most frustrating and I assumed everyone had this jerky transmission.  It is noteworthy that it is only during yawing of the drone, never in straight line flight....
2017-6-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-6-14 08:17
I have this exact issue; almost all the time.  My turning speed is very slow/nothing to do with frame rates; also occurs on every video setting.  Last night it actually caused me to crash into a tree (30' up!) because the video lagged.  This is most frustrating and I assumed everyone had this jerky transmission.  It is noteworthy that it is only during yawing of the drone, never in straight line flight....

I'm not sure the OP is talking about downlink video lag like you are, but yawing is the hardest video to capture smoothly because it contains the most movement from frame to frame and compression can't do it's job as efficiently.

When you are talking about downlink video, there are tons more variables and your selected video frame-rate is irrelevant. If you have a good connection then you could try using the Smooth downlink video option which might help, but I think caps you at 2.7K video-to-card. If the connection is not so robust then the HD option might be better, but it'll limit video-to-card resolution to 1080p.
2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Drone
lvl.1
Australia

2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Drone
lvl.1
Australia

11.37 is a good example
2017-6-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I think the OP might be talking about the gimbal movement that occurs when turned too fast resulting in bumps or jumps in the footage. Simply this is from the flex within the gimbal mounting system (4 rubber bands). Wind gusts can also cause this effect.
To overcome this problem you need to slow your movements OR beware that footage from such movements will contain unusable footage during initiation of fast stops and turns.Maybe consider introducing some Curves to slow intial movements.
2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Drone
lvl.1
Australia

After doing some tests.

The issue is the frame rate. At 60 fps in 1080 it is gone. And at 96fps its silk. But at 30 fps just cant keep up with rapid movments.

Ty
2017-6-14
Use props
marcelkoks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51362 ft
New Zealand

Would selecting Tripod mode or Cinema mode make any difference?
2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Drone
lvl.1
Australia

marcelkoks Posted at 2017-6-14 19:01
Would selecting Tripod mode or Cinema mode make any difference?

I did select tripod mode and it does fix it. But that because the turning motion is alot slower it can keep up.
2017-6-14
Use props
Iamz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

Shutter speed also plays a role here. At the same frame rate, e.g. 30 fps, setting the shutter speed to 1/60 will give a smoother looking footage than 1/120.

With a really high shutter speed, you cannot see any movements in each frame; it just looks like a normal still photo. On the other hand, with a lower shutter speed, you can see some movements in each frame and it blends each frame with the next one. It's not great for grabbing a still photo from a video but it's more "cinematic" and pleasing to the eyes, at least my eyes.
2017-6-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Mr Drone Posted at 2017-6-14 19:10
I did select tripod mode and it does fix it. But that because the turning motion is alot slower it can keep up.

What is your third it?

Have you tried a different method of display that might be more capable of displaying hi-res hi-IQ image at or above 30fps?
2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Drone
lvl.1
Australia

I did indeed test shutter speed with my filters also. There is no differnce even with nd8 at shutter speed 60. (There is a large dif when going on longer range flights though)
2017-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules