Spark Weight Reduction
53574 16621 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Superduperwes
lvl.1
Canada

Any way to lose 50g? I think a optional battery would be great. I could live with 8 min flight time to grab a few quick clips and not worry about a $3k fine (Canada). I was really hoping this would fall into the unregulated realm.
2017-6-14
Use props
Xxzorroxx
New
United States

I wonder do you have register the spark in USA since it so small . and use as a self cam
2017-6-14
Use props
wricks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39783 ft
United States

Interesting article here:

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19 ... istration-rules-faa
2017-6-14
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Xxzorroxx Posted at 2017-6-14 08:04
I wonder do you have register the spark in USA since it so small . and use as a self cam

Yes you have to register it in the US because it weighs more than .55 lbs
EDIT:  I was not aware of the article posted in the previous post.  If it's true then I guess you don't need to register it.  I'm going to do more research.
2017-6-14
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lets see.... stage 1 lightweight mod to get <250grams and extra flight times:
Strip the plastic off the battery and just use exposed battery and intelligence chip.
Drill holes into the legs (I am sure DJI has over engineered this part).
Leave the top off or drill perforated holes.
2017-6-14
Use props
Superduperwes
lvl.1
Canada

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-6-14 20:55
Lets see.... stage 1 lightweight mod to get

I wondered about drilling holes in the legs probably have to be careful of wires. I was also wondering about leaving the top off but maybe plastic wrapping it or something.

Do you think you could find a lighter battery that would connect? I think batter weight will potentially be the only way to lose 1/6th of the weight. Looking at some videos online it also seemed like actual weights may be a bit more than advertised.
2017-6-14
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3621066 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, if you are in the US, you do not have to register this or any other drone used for hobby purposes. The Supreme Court repealed the whole drone registration thing a little over a month ago. You now only need to register if you are planning on using it for commercial purposes like real estate or construction or something like that.
2017-6-14
Use props
Xxzorroxx
New
United States

wricks Posted at 2017-6-14 08:40

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19/15663436/us-drone-registration-rules-faa

THAMK YOU. this help . my other drone i did..
2017-6-15
Use props
wricks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39783 ft
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-6-14 21:18
No, if you are in the US, you do not have to register this or any other drone used for hobby purposes. The Supreme Court repealed the whole drone registration thing a little over a month ago. You now only need to register if you are planning on using it for commercial purposes like real estate or construction or something like that.

I believe the operative term (at least according to the FAA) is "In furtherance of a business".  If you use it for family videos and such, no problem.  No need to register.  If, however, you want to monetize your You Tube channel, film a house for a real estate friend, or any activity that generates $$ for anyone, then yes, you need to register.
2017-6-15
Use props
SteveW
lvl.1

United States

DEFINITELY would love to see a way to get Spark under 250g -- in the same boat as you, being in Canada.  

Hope to see some solutions as people get SPark in their hands!  Maybe Spark v 2 will have a lower weight? I really really want to get a Spark now rather than wait...  
2017-6-19
Use props
SteveW
lvl.1

United States

SteveW Posted at 2017-6-19 00:07
DEFINITELY would love to see a way to get Spark under 250g -- in the same boat as you, being in Canada.  

Hope to see some solutions as people get SPark in their hands!  Maybe Spark v 2 will have a lower weight? I really really want to get a Spark now rather than wait...

<--- BTW can't find a way to set my location as Canada on this forum...can't see it in my Homepage or settings.
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It's not recommended to modify the drone, which may invalid the product warranty. Besides, please fly the drone under local laws and rules to ensure safety.
M.png
2017-6-19
Use props
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

I too have the same question. I have the Spark combo kit on order and was wondering if I could be able to loose enough weight to be classified as a "toy" and then not be regulated by FAA. I would be able to again fly at night, in my yard without notifying the 2 heliports and ATC
2017-6-19
Use props
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

If the  DJI specs are correct, the Spark takeoff weight is 300 Grams or 10.58 oz. To be considered an UAS by the FAA (former requirement to register the UAS) the drone must be .55 lbs (8.8 oz) up to 55 lbs.
If the drone is LESS than .55 lbs (8.8 oz or 249.48 grams) it then is not considered a UAS and not regulated by the FAA. The FAA considers any drone under .55 lbs a toy. By my calculations the Spark needs to shed about 2.9 to be just under the .55 lbs.
2017-6-19
Use props
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

wricks Posted at 2017-6-14 08:40

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19/15663436/us-drone-registration-rules-faa

As far as I know even if we don't have to register the drone we still are regulated by the FAA for "UAS" .55 lbs and over regardless of  commercial or recreation use.
I hope folks here can continue this discussion and help get a clear answer. I may try to contact the FAA with this question.
2017-6-19
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I agree on the legs. I am no engineer but they do seem to be far more solid and heavy than the type of flying a Spark would need them to be. As a Canadian I would be very open to drilling some holes provided a how to that showed me how to avoid damage to wiring.

Of course we can also hold out hope that DJI might consider releasing a half capasity battery. Once practised at the Mavic, I never took much more than 5 minutes to get the landscape shots I wanted when on vacation.
2017-6-19
Use props
SteveW
lvl.1

Canada

Historically, has anyone ever made 3rd party batteries for DJI Drones?  There are tons of 3rd party batteries for other devices, but I could see a market for a 3rd party vendor making a 1/2 capacity battery to allow the sub 250g limit -- that is making the big assumption that there is 50g to lose in the battery and have it useful at all.  Anyone know how much the SPark battery weights currently?
2017-6-19
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

specs saying about 95g

NTELLIGENT FLIGHT BATTERY

Capacity        1480 mAh
Voltage        11.4 V
Max Charging Voltage        13.05 V
Battery Type        LiPo 3S
Energy        16.87 Wh
Net Weight        Approx. 0.2 lbs (95 g)
Charging Temperature Range        41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C)
2017-6-20
Use props
cmalinowski
lvl.1
United States

You don't really register the drone, so much as yourself.  At least as far as I can tell.  You get the FAA number and paste it to all drones you own.  Granted, with the rules change that is not the case as far as I can tell.  I think I'd like to go commercial, so I'm thinking my registration may carry forward.

Thanks,
Chris
2017-6-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-6-14 21:18

" The Supreme Court repealed the whole drone registration thing a little over a month ago. "

No, it wasn't the Supreme Court, it was a ruling  by a DC appellate court.  The FAA, to my knowledge, has not yet decided to appeal the ruling or to redefine "model aircraft".
2017-6-20
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

No need to worry about the Spark. You can even fly a Mavic Pro now. http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... rone_users_EN_2.pdf
2017-6-26
Use props
TheFlyingDutchm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 717336 ft
Norway

But even if you don't have to register anymore, your still have to follow the rules I guess if the AC is above that weight limit? So the No fly zones still count?
2017-6-26
Use props
Oleost
New
Flight distance : 7776 ft
Norway

DJI needs to release and lighter battery.

Even if it would get limited to 3-5 minutes flight time it would still be more than enough for me to lift up, take a couple of photos and then land again.

And with half the capacity battery, the battery would become cheaper and you could simple buy more spare batteries.
2017-7-7
Use props
Oleost
New
Flight distance : 7776 ft
Norway

https://www.change.org/p/dji-lig ... aign=share_petition
2017-7-7
Use props
Hecate
lvl.4
Canada

Oleost Posted at 2017-7-7 22:51
https://www.change.org/p/dji-light-weight-battery-for-dji-spark-to-get-below-250-grams?recruiter=76217617&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

It would be difficult but not impossible to do this with reducing battery weight only, it all depends on flight time required. Here is my preliminary analysis:

Spark Lipo +ATL, 3.8 Volts, 5.62 Watt Hours
+633360 Q497235FXXXX 990 mah

Total weight 95 gram

Cells ............74 gram
        Electronics..... 6 gram
        Plastic.......... 15 gram

Challenge reduce weight by 51+ grams leaving 23 grams for battery if replacing battery cells only.

Possible solution 6 gram 250 mah lipo X3, approx 3.75 min flight time + gains from weight reduction

Remove additional 7 grams plastic from battery cover: 10 gram 350 mah lipo X3, 5.6 min flight + gains of weight reduction.

Ideally reduce actual AC by 37 gram for a total of 60 gram weight reduction or 20% thats a lot, that would bring the flight time up to 11.2 minutes + gains of weight reduction.

But my guess is that the the gov simply would change the rules and lower the 250gr limit.

Light weight drones will only get more capable over time, Darpa has a drone that is 37 gram has crappy video, a range of 1km and stays in the air for 30 minutes.

2017-9-29
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Interesting topic.  I guess time will tell on whether or not DJI will make a spark with longer battery life without adding weight; but then again, it's above the 250g limit for most countries anyways.  Limit meaning, it's above the 250g category requiring either registration and or falling into mandated regulations.
2017-9-29
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-14 09:10
Yes you have to register it in the US because it weighs more than .55 lbs
EDIT:  I was not aware of the article posted in the previous post.  If it's true then I guess you don't need to register it.  I'm going to do more research.

Definitely good to do the research yourself to confirm, as there have been a variety of opinions expressed in the forums on rules and regulations that are really wishful thinking rather than factual.  But yes, at the moment registration with the FAA is optional, not mandatory.
2017-9-29
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

It would of course preclude the use of prop guards at 50 grams, but probably no one cares.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans76dafef4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92323 ft
Sweden

https://woopstore.myshopify.com/collections/all
2017-9-29
Use props
M1dn1ght N1nj4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11522 ft
United States

If for any reason you don't fly under ALL the requirement for "special rule for model aircraft" (weight must be under 55 pounds), then yes, you would have to register the drone.  BUT, as long as you meet ALL the requirements for the special rule, you do NOT have to register the drone, even if it's over 0.55 pounds.
2017-9-29
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Tie a balloon to it ;-)
2017-9-29
Use props
DucatiKozak
New

Canada

I keep checking the forum if anything has come of this yet... won't get a Spark until DJI can do something about <250g
2017-10-23
Use props
DucatiKozak
New

Canada

LouisP Posted at 2017-9-29 13:16
Tie a balloon to it ;-)

Tie a balloon and also a tether to the ground...
Where's your $3,000 fine now Transport Canada Mr Marc Garneau?!!!
2017-10-23
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

So lets say you manage to get your Spark under 250g, now what?

You can suddenly fly within 5.5 km of an aerodrome?
You can suddenly fly above 400'?
You can suddenly fly more then 500m away?
You suddenly don't have to put your name, address and phone number on it?

If you do something stupid and cause an accident or damage they're still going to come after you.

I think just using common sense is a better approach. I have no issues with flying my Spark in Canada, but I'm going to stay away from densely populated areas, airports, etc. just like I would anywhere else.
2017-10-23
Use props
Bryan096
New

China

thanks for sharing the information
2017-10-24
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

TranceMist Posted at 2017-10-23 14:47

In my country, the lower weight would make the spark more usable for what it is good at.

Pilot benefits of drones < 250g:

May fly closer than 100 meters to buildings
May fly closer than 150 meters to railways, and roads with traffic.
May fly closer than 50 meters to manned ships and boats
May fly closer that 50 meters to other people

No matter size and weight, flying in urban settlement is forbidden.
2017-10-24
Use props
doZer the ogre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78563 ft
United States

Oleost Posted at 2017-7-7 22:38
DJI needs to release and lighter battery.

Even if it would get limited to 3-5 minutes flight time it would still be more than enough for me to lift up, take a couple of photos and then land again.

seems to me like that would be dangerous try going up with a battery at 30%...
2017-10-24
Use props
deniscarl.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

I need this too... real hard...
2017-11-4
Use props
deniscarl.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

TranceMist Posted at 2017-10-23 14:47

They don't consider the crafts under 250 grams to be physically able to inflict any real serious harm nor damages to anyone and anything and yes it is based on science and common sense.

Actually the only contentious point is the fact that the 250 grams was calculated with bolids (rocks and other things that can be thrown away by explosions) and since a drone has less density (therefore a lower terminal velocity) then they should consider an heavier threshold for this exemption of regulations. DJI documented a research on the subject:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/13 ... 250g-deeply-flawed/
2017-11-4
Use props
fansf62e371b
New
Canada

Great Idea!
2018-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules