Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks

I received my Inspire-2 & X5S Camera in Mid February and have been plagued with the problem of ill-fitting propellers from the start (over-tight white props and loose red props). My local UK supplier (Heliguy) went out of their way to help by providing replacement props (with foam inserts) and also new quick-release hubs, but sadly, as we all know, this is not the solution. The fundamental problem remains that the manufacturing tolerances are such that there is invariably some lateral play in the propeller mounts – which is unacceptable.

While I love the Inspire-2 and have deep respect for DJI, I am pained by the fact that a company can produce such a remarkable piece of equipment and then stumble over something as simple as this, more so that that they wont admit that its a problem and fix it. So, on 23 May I decided to take the matter up with DJI Support Europe and here’s what happened:

23 May –To my surprise DJI Support indicated that there are V3 propellers available that would solve the problem and the matter was referred to another department..

25 May – I was asked to provide more detail regarding the nature of the problem and give proof of purchase etc. which I did promptly.

27 May – I was asked to return the entire unit for repair – which I refused to do on the basis that there is nothing wrong with the machine other than the fact that the propellers don’t fit properly!

29 May – it was suggested that perhaps the motors are miss-aligned. I assured DJI Support that this is NOT the case!

31 May - The case CAS-676843-Y1Y8M7 was opened and I was informed to await further communication from the Spare Parts Department regarding delivery of the replacement for the “faulty parts”.

5 June - I remind DJI Support Europe that I have yet to receive any communication from the Spare Parts Department..

At about the same time - I am requested by DJI to complete a Satisfaction Questionnaire based on the outcome of my case. I will leave you to guess my response!

7 June – I am informed that the matter is still in hand..

7 June – I call DJI Europe and after waiting for ages I am informed that despite everything, I already have  the latest propellers and that some play is "normal" and “everything will work perfectly fine”.

7 June – I point out that as a licensed pilot and one who is involved in the manufacture and sales/service of propellers for full size aircraft I can assure DJI that no amount of lateral play is acceptable in any propeller.  I also ask that if this is indeed a design feature , then why is it only the case with the Red propellers?

7 June – DJI finally return the original position of waiting for replacement parts from the Spare Parts Department!

14 June – I remind DJI that we are now in the THIRD week of waiting for the communication from the Spare Parts Department!  

14 June - I am informed by DJI Support that the Spare Parts Department are awaiting the parts from another warehouse..

To be continued..

2017-6-14
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI send me replacement props back in March have had no problems.
2017-6-14
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's great to know Tony, but sadly the replacement V2 props (with foam inserts) did not work very long for me. After about 10 hours we are back to square one - and to be frank about it, the foam insert was never a solution, it just masked the underlying problem..

Kind regards
Allan

2017-6-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Allan, so sorry for the unpleasant experience, I've informed our appropriate team to look into this case , we will have someone to contact you for later, hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.
2017-6-16
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you Thor, I really appreciate any assistance you can offer.
I have every confidence that DJI can solve this and look forward to a proper engineering solution.
Kind regards
Allan
2017-6-17
Use props
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The problem with the foam inserts is that they may stop the rattle briefly but in doing so they push the props OFF the seat and introduce play in the prop itself. I have about 1mm gap between the base of the prop and considerable play at the tip of the props. OK the aircraft flies brilliantly but I always have a nagging doubt that something awful is about to happen. DJI say that this play is not detrimental to the aircraft or its flight characteristics. But how can it not be ???
2017-6-17
Use props
Fortnight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5403383 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please just make better props and mounts.  I have bought many sets of both  from many places including DJI store because I was told the new props are better.   DJI says the rattle is normal,  but so many of us fly with that nagging feeling.   I have been holding out on spending $200 on after market props because I thought DJI would have fixed this by now.  Guess I should have just bought them.
2017-6-17
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-6-17 02:10
The problem with the foam inserts is that they may stop the rattle briefly but in doing so they push the props OFF the seat and introduce play in the prop itself. I have about 1mm gap between the base of the prop and considerable play at the tip of the props. OK the aircraft flies brilliantly but I always have a nagging doubt that something awful is about to happen. DJI say that this play is not detrimental to the aircraft or its flight characteristics. But how can it not be ???

I agree entirely and from what I know, many users are using the Inspire-2 with play in the props, either because the simply don't know any better or because they have been told its "normal". No amount of free play is acceptable in any propeller!
I'm look forward to a proper solution soon..
Kind regards
Allan   
2017-6-17
Use props
ErichG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74180 ft
United States

As someone who just received my new Inspire2, I find this extraordinary situation... I couldn't believe it when I put the props on. As a first time DJI buyer, I am very disappointed. I can overlook that not-quite-pro case you ship this with, but this is absolutely unacceptable from an engineering perspective, and this situation should never have made it past QA. Period.

When should we expect DJI to contact owners with a replacement plan for these propellers (I'm presuming/praying it isn't the mounts themselves)?

Really sad that this is my first post on the forum - and the machine is obviously amazing with the exception of this amazing fail. But, put me on record that when it falls out of the sky because a red prop goes flying off the thing, I'll be more than an unhappy camper.

2017-6-17
Use props
ErichG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74180 ft
United States

Fortnight Posted at 2017-6-17 03:11
Please just make better props and mounts.  I have bought many sets of both  from many places including DJI store because I was told the new props are better.   DJI says the rattle is normal,  but so many of us fly with that nagging feeling.   I have been holding out on spending $200 on after market props because I thought DJI would have fixed this by now.  Guess I should have just bought them.

Where can we buy these props? I'll just pick some up and bill DJI... lol.
2017-6-17
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

ErichG Posted at 2017-6-17 07:58
Where can we buy these props? I'll just pick some up and bill DJI... lol.

I now have two sets of carbon fiber props w/adapters that screw in and become "fixed, " as well as a set of similar carbon fiber props from T-Motor.  I'm using the KopterMax props right now and the aircraft f;lies wonderfully with these.
2017-6-18
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Update:

17 June - I am told that DJI are closely following the situation and will be informed when the "requested parts" are available..

17 June - I thank DJI for the info, but ask exactly which parts we are waiting for - is it propellers, hubs, or both?

19 June - I am informed that these long awaited parts are "propellers with foam, inserts"! Furthermore, if this doesn't work I should send the entire unit back for "repair"!!
Frankly, I can hardly believe it! We had this same conversation about 3 weeks ago. I already have propellers with foam inserts and we all know that its NOT a solution!

19 June - I inform DJI that I can fix the symptom myself my inserting a shim, precision cut from  vinyl. All they need to do is manufacture props and/or hubs that actually fit!!

To be continued...
2017-6-19
Use props
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-6-19 12:31
Update:

17 June - I am told that DJI are closely following the situation and will be informed when the "requested parts" are available..

I await with baited breath. Shims would do the job but surly the answer is to manufacture the props with a longer cone?
2017-6-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-6-20 01:09
I await with baited breath. Shims would do the job but surly the answer is to manufacture the props with a longer cone?

Not sure what you mean by "cone" but all it needs is a little extra material around the base of the propeller hub, where it fits the post of the quick-link. Some have achieved this by building up the area using cyano and then sanding it back, I chose to insert a shim, both do the same, but ideally we want a propeller that is manufactured to properly fit the quick-link!

Regards
Allan
2017-6-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is another solution – from a third-party in Taiwan.
See
A proper job!
Why cant DJI provide something similar?

Kind regards
Allan
2017-6-20
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

So what is it that the metal adapters have done to correct the looseness?  Just machined to slightly thicker?  Did you measure the difference?
2017-6-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-6-20 09:32
So what is it that the metal adapters have done to correct the looseness?  Just machined to slightly thicker?  Did you measure the difference?

I've not seen or tested them - just seen the video, but I assume that they have simply machined the base of the propeller hub to be very slightly thicker to take-up the gap between the base of the propeller and the hub. The vinyl "shims" that I have made do exactly the same job - and a tiny fraction of the cost..
Regards
Allan
2017-6-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These simple "shims" cut from vinyl have proved to be a perfect solution - its just such a shame that DJI have been unable (or unwilling) to provide a proper engineering solution.
Kind regards
Allan

2017-6-20
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Allan, I have been using the vinyl shim idea as well and it works just fine.  I'm wondering on the metal bases that are shown in the video how the mfgr. determined what thickness to make that piece since the DJI plastic props also seem to vary in their dimensions.  With your idea, you can some what customize the vinyl shim to work with a specific prop.  It's kinda a crazy design from DJI that is so sensitive to the dimension to work properly.  Oh well, I have since switched to CF props (T-Motor) and the metal (Al) bases and that has worked fine for me.  I think I have like 10 pair of the DJI plastic props now sitting in a box! LOL
2017-6-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Today's helpful advice from DJI Service - regarding the video clip I posted in #15 above:

21-Jun: I am requested to send my Inspire-2 to DJI Service for repair - because they cant supply the parts as shown in the video-clip!
21-Jun: I make it clear that I was not expecting DJI to supply third-party components - but shared this video only to show what OTHERS are doing to solve the loose propeller problem!
In the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!"..

2017-6-21
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Maybe it's the Chinese language barrier!!! LOL
2017-6-21
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The latest in what is turning out to be better than a soap opera!

22-Jun - Today DJI Service have asked me to send back the "faulty propellers" and this is due to the "long delay".
There are several things I don't understand about this:
1. How does sending old propellers back make the new ones come any faster?
2. What on earth are DJI going to do with my propellers - that don't fit?
3. How do they know its the propellers that are "faulty" and not the hubs - or indeed both?
4. Which of the FOUR sets of identical propellers would they actually like back??
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny..

Regards
Allan

2017-6-22
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Today (27 June) - I finally returned one set of propellers to DJI Service (Europe). I selected two White props that were too tight on the hubs and two Red props that were too loose (1-2 mm of lateral play).
I did it only to see what DJI will do. will they send me yet another set of ill-fitting propellers with bits of foam to mask the fact that they don't fit - or something better?
I await with interest and will be sure to post the outcome here!

Kind regards
Allan
2017-6-27
Use props
fanse186c04e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-16 18:43
Allan, so sorry for the unpleasant experience, I've informed our appropriate team to look into this case , we will have someone to contact you for later, hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.

No not only him!!!!, all of us have the same problem, gif the answer over here in the room!!

Vincent
2017-6-28
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good old THOR, nothing heard since 16 June (#4 above).
Perhaps he is just a mythical creature after-all - a bit like the Ver.3 props!
We wait in great anticipation for the next move..

Regards
Allan
2017-6-28
Use props
Fortnight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5403383 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is such a bummer
2017-6-28
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 742126 ft
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-6-20 12:28
These simple "shims" cut from vinyl have proved to be a perfect solution - its just such a shame that DJI have been unable (or unwilling) to provide a proper engineering solution.
Kind regards
Allan

Allan, Fantastic shims! Can I ask what you used to cut them out, they look too precise to have been cut free hand with scalpel ?

Thx Ken
2017-6-29
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenavata Posted at 2017-6-29 03:39
Allan, Fantastic shims! Can I ask what you used to cut them out, they look too precise to have been cut free hand with scalpel ?

Thx Ken

Hi Ken. I first created a vector file of the shape of the base of the propeller hub and then used a precision Vinyl Cutter to cut the shims..
Regards
Allan
2017-6-29
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-6-29 07:02
Hi Ken. I first created a vector file of the shape of the base of the propeller hub and then used a precision Vinyl Cutter to cut the shims..
Regards
Allan

Thanks,

It would nice if DJI actually fixed the problem, but failing that I'm sure there is an eBay product there if you were so inclined!
2017-6-29
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenavata Posted at 2017-6-29 07:46
Thanks,

It would nice if DJI actually fixed the problem, but failing that I'm sure there is an eBay product there if you were so inclined!

Agreed!
If you send me a PM with your address I'll gladly send you a set of shims Ken.

Regards
Allan
2017-6-29
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenavata Posted at 2017-6-29 07:46
Thanks,

Agreed!

Regards
Allan
2017-6-29
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Breaking News!
Its confirmed - my package of old tight white props and wobbly loose props has been received by DJI Support (Europe)!
What will they do next?

Regards
Allan
2017-6-29
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Repackage them and send them off to the next sucker!!!
2017-6-29
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-6-29 07:49
Agreed!

Any chance to get these vectors pal ? I have a vinyl cutter myself, just have no clue how to get measurements right. Can be a shape just, I will set a cut line myself ;)
2017-6-29
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks, Alan

The shims arrived this morning, fitted and test flown … perfect fit (your attention to detail is outstanding!!!)

It’s does emphasise the weakness in the DJI design, there really is no inherent tolerance, the difference in prop fit between inserting a shim 2-3 hundredths of a mm thick and not is very marked.

Best Regards, Ken
2017-7-1
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i think I will try the superglue method.
2017-7-1
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I got both the original (#1) and #2 red versions in the four prop bags in a recent I2 purchase.  Odd part was one of the whites was a bit loose too as were the two #1 reds.

I did the CA Medium glue thing to the bottom surface of the three loose ones, set aside and let them dry for a couple of hours, and they are now tight as the others.  I swabbed the undersides with some cornstarch on a Q-tip as a lube and polish which seemed to aid in putting them on and off.  The tolerance must be a few thousandths of an inch on that flange as the CA Medium didn't appear to build it up that much.

Wasn't a big deal to fix with the CA glue really.
2017-7-1
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kenavata Posted at 2017-7-1 07:41
Thanks, Alan

The shims arrived this morning, fitted and test flown … perfect fit (your attention to detail is outstanding!!!)

Pleased to hear it worked out well for you Ken!
Regards
Allan
2017-7-2
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After Alan refused to help me I made them myself today, they work flawlessly.
2017-7-2
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 2017-7-2 13:58
After Alan refused to help me I made them myself today, they work flawlessly.

Good to hear pal!
Allan
2017-7-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules