Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Loose Propellers (again!)
123Next >
4868 84 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I finally gave up and bought the folding props from HeliEngadin <info@heliengadin.com>. These props are expensive but do offer a true engineering solution. They fly well, are quieter, more responsive, more convenient and make me feel a lot happier than the DJI lash up.
2017-7-5
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

29 Jun 2017 - DJI confirm receipt of my ill-fitting propellers. I feel that we are moving forward now!

But then perhaps not - because almost a week later I get the following message:

05 Jul 2017 - The item you sent to DJI for repair has been received and the case number is CAS-736133-Q2M9P8. One of our customer representatives may contact you for further details. You can visit Repair Progress Inquiry or through the DJI GO App to view the repair progress after two working days. Thank you for choosing DJI.

I am so pleased that I only sent a few worthless propellers!

Kind regards
Allan
2017-7-5
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10 July - I'm informed today that the replacement propellers have been shipped!
What are they? Will they still wobble on the mounts?
All will be reveled!

Kind regards
Allan
2017-7-10
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The long awaited "replacement parts" arrived today!
12 July - I sent a full set of 4 propellers, but I today received just two propellers back, one Red and one White, not even a full set.  Apart from that, they have no specific markings, just a bit of foam in the center, and they still wobble on the mounts!
Its taken from 23 May to 12 July to get absolutely nowhere..

Kind regards
Allan
2017-7-12
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

allanart Posted at 2017-7-12 06:38
The long awaited "replacement parts" arrived today!
12 July - I sent a full set of 4 propellers, but I today received just two propellers back, one Red and one White, not even a full set.  Apart from that, they have no specific markings, just a bit of foam in the center, and they still wobble on the mounts!
Its taken from 23 May to 12 July to get absolutely nowhere..

Its really a shame to see, how DJI handles that. Why dont they simply bring out some high quality props, that fits the need of the user?
People try to glue, shape and whatever to make those crappy plastic props work.
Weeks ago i switched to HeliEngadin, swiss made quality product.
Thats what props should be from the beginning of the Inspire 2.
IMG_5454.jpg
2017-7-12
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too have ordered the HeliEngadin props which should arrive Saturday.
I have had it with loose rattling junk props.
Actually, the props aren't the problem, it's the mounts. I also find these mounts difficult to lock and unlock.
No more.........

Would you put cheap crappy tires on a car? Some people would..... not me. There's just too much riding on them
2017-7-13
Use props
Dan M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15058491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I gave up on the DJI props, and flew with the HeliEngadin set for the first time today. Definitely a little quieter. No vibration that I could see once the props were up to speed. No rattle, and no play.
2017-7-17
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am well aware of the folding carbon props, but feel obliged to keep pressing DJI for a solution.
It just seems WRONG to me that they can produce a product like the Inspire-2 and get away with poor engineering on something as fundamental as the propellers!
Kind regards
Allan  
2017-7-17
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-6-17 02:10
The problem with the foam inserts is that they may stop the rattle briefly but in doing so they push the props OFF the seat and introduce play in the prop itself. I have about 1mm gap between the base of the prop and considerable play at the tip of the props. OK the aircraft flies brilliantly but I always have a nagging doubt that something awful is about to happen. DJI say that this play is not detrimental to the aircraft or its flight characteristics. But how can it not be ???

I believe the reason why it is not really an issue is because once the props start spinning, the centrifugal force is so great that the props lock in to position and stay there until they are stopped again.

Tom
2017-7-19
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

22 Jul - its now a full two months since I opened the topic about "wobbly propellers" with DJI Service (Europe). So far all that's happened is that they replaced FOUR wobbly propellers with TWO wobbly propellers! However, I have not given-up and they now appear to be taking the matter more seriously and if I believe what I've been told I can expect a proper solution soon, but I have been asked to be patient.
I am a very patient man, but also very persistent!

Kind regards
Allan
2017-7-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Registering my I2 having the same issue. Loose prop on the vertical.

What's worse now is the induced vibrations due to the prop turning into and out of the wind and lifting and dropping. I managed to fix the loose prop with a bit of tape, but I honestly think the vibration damage has stayed, as the legs of the I2 are now vibrating a lot through bad harmonics.
2017-7-28
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 2017-7-28 15:31
Registering my I2 having the same issue. Loose prop on the vertical.

What's worse now is the induced vibrations due to the prop turning into and out of the wind and lifting and dropping. I managed to fix the loose prop with a bit of tape, but I honestly think the vibration damage has stayed, as the legs of the I2 are now vibrating a lot through bad harmonics.

Can you expand you're experience a bit more please ?
2017-7-28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 2017-7-28 16:01
Can you expand you're experience a bit more please ?

After the first issue was fixed, with the grinding sound due to the foam insert missing, I thought this was the end of my troubles.

About a month ago I was checking over the i2 and noticed a lot of play in the prop on the vertical direction (as this thread discusses). I pinched the end of the prop and noticed there was movement where it shouldn't have been, when I lifted the prop up and down (rather than in a circular motion).

This issue then caused a secondary problem: When the prop has any wind from a direction the side of the prop which has a leading edge into the wind lifts up and then drops down as it exits, so this turns into a vibration as it's happening thousands of times a minute when the prop spins.

Managed to get a fix on this, but now the vibration has remained.. My concern is that the prop has caused further damage to the drone, especially as it's now affecting my stills photography. I used to be able to take long exposures, but now the vibration ruins that.
2017-7-29
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 2017-7-29 01:41
After the first issue was fixed, with the grinding sound due to the foam insert missing, I thought this was the end of my troubles.

About a month ago I was checking over the i2 and noticed a lot of play in the prop on the vertical direction (as this thread discusses). I pinched the end of the prop and noticed there was movement where it shouldn't have been, when I lifted the prop up and down (rather than in a circular motion).

Thats sound really bad
2017-7-29
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

29 Aug - just over three months from taking this matter up with DJI and we have made no progress whatsoever. The last response from DJI Support Europe asked me to be "patient". I am a patient man but even my patience is starting to wear a little thin now! I have asked for clarification as to what exactly it is that we are waiting for - but so far no response to that question. Its all very sad..

Kind regards
Allan
2017-8-29
Use props
djiuser_lK9ZjNF
New

Spain

Hello, I cannot help you, but if you can, can you please reply to my posting "Need Advice at Sea", posted just after yours...thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
djiuser_lK9ZjNF
New

Spain

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-6-14 21:23
DJI send me replacement props back in March have had no problems.

Hi, can you please reply to my "Need advice at Sea" posting.
I am really in a time critical situation...
thanksl
doug
2017-8-29
Use props
Drone Trilogy
lvl.2
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-6-20 08:42
Here is another solution – from a third-party in Taiwan.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cike0Q5DIi8
A proper job!

Wow, I wish I watched this 3 weeks ago before my I2 crashed

The props/prop locks have been the biggest disappointment on the I2.  Such a great bird but terrible props and locks.
2017-8-30
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

What are the characteristics of the loose props? How does it sound?

We haven't had much issue aside from the red props being weird and difficult to lock ... The white ones lock in a way that I would call "exactly how I would expect them to lock". So there's definitely something there, but for me, I haven't noticed anything rattling or loose. Thank goodness for that.
2017-8-30
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-30 19:28
What are the characteristics of the loose props? How does it sound?

We haven't had much issue aside from the red props being weird and difficult to lock ... The white ones lock in a way that I would call "exactly how I would expect them to lock". So there's definitely something there, but for me, I haven't noticed anything rattling or loose. Thank goodness for that.

I guess I should follow this up and say that ... Until the most recent firmware update (*ahem*) ...

Our Inspire 2 was mechanically sound, operating in a way I was very satisfied with, and exactly what was expected out of the technology. It was absolutely excellent in every way.

Then we updated the firmware. ;)
2017-8-30
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-30 19:38
I guess I should follow this up and say that ... Until the most recent firmware update (*ahem*) ...

Our Inspire 2 was mechanically sound, operating in a way I was very satisfied with, and exactly what was expected out of the technology. It was absolutely excellent in every way.

The common scenario is that there is some free play in the propeller hubs. Its generally more common in the case of the Red props, but over time the White props tend to develop free play also. To check, install the propellers as normal, make sure they are secure, and then hold the tip of one propeller and try to move it up & down. More often than not there is 1-2 mm free play at the tips.

Kind regards
Allan
2017-8-31
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-8-31 01:41
The common scenario is that there is some free play in the propeller hubs. Its generally more common in the case of the Red props, but over time the White props tend to develop free play also. To check, install the propellers as normal, make sure they are secure, and then hold the tip of one propeller and try to move it up & down. More often than not there is 1-2 mm free play at the tips.

Kind regards

The problem is brought about by the gap between the base of the propeller hub and the propeller mount, its a manufacturing tolerance issue and can be overcome by adding a spacer between the propeller and the mount. There are various methods, including bits of tape, building up the prop hub with thick cyano etc. I have cut Vinyl shims to match the profile of  the prop mount - as shown in the photo.
Kind regards.
Allan

2017-8-31
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-8-31 01:47
The problem is brought about by the gap between the base of the propeller hub and the propeller mount, its a manufacturing tolerance issue and can be overcome by adding a spacer between the propeller and the mount. There are various methods, including bits of tape, building up the prop hub with thick cyano etc. I have cut Vinyl shims to match the profile of  the prop mount - as shown in the photo.
Kind regards.
Allan

It is very disappointing about DJI not even answering your concerns and others , I had the same issue with DJI propellers and received replacement much sooner __

Foam inserts and a stamp on the hub "2"  

Thank you for sharing Alan
2017-8-31
Use props
fanse186c04e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-16 18:43
Allan, so sorry for the unpleasant experience, I've informed our appropriate team to look into this case , we will have someone to contact you for later, hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.

Please Thor,
This problem we have from the start, and now you say: i've informed our appropriate team!
They know this from the beginning the Inspire 2 came out, please stop saying this to us.
They do not care about the "lose", 'Wobbely' props we have.
DJI have to come with new props that are "NOT LOSE ON THERE MOUNT"

I understand you have to say something, just do not answer us anymore till u have the great news that  there are new props for the Inspire 2 and we get them for free!

Thank you,

Vincent
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-8-31 09:07
Please Thor,
This problem we have from the start, and now you say: i've informed our appropriate team!
They know this from the beginning the Inspire 2 came out, please stop saying this to us.

As the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them. The shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.
2017-9-1
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

allanart Posted at 2017-8-31 01:41

Kind regards

Gotcha.

It's interesting, our white props go on very smoothly and easily (like a perfect fit). The red props though, they go on, but they are VERY tight. Much tighter than the white ones. So I'm assuming that these ones are "fixed"?

Is there a version marking on them somewhere to know what lot/batch they were produced?
2017-9-1
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-1 07:12
Gotcha.

It's interesting, our white props go on very smoothly and easily (like a perfect fit). The red props though, they go on, but they are VERY tight. Much tighter than the white ones. So I'm assuming that these ones are "fixed"?

There is a small #2 under them for the newer ones.  However, mine came with both numbers on the red ones and even the new #2 reds were loose.

After a while, the tighter white ones on mine were also looser than when new.  I just do the CA Medium viscosity glue bead thing on their bottom edge and set aside for the night for the fix and call it done.  If you've ever flown RC planes or helicopters, this self fix-it stuff becomes part of the hobby.  Anything, consumer wise, can probably be improved on somewhere if one looks for it.
2017-9-1
Use props
lolders
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I fixed it myself, cut out a Q-Card and put it under the quick release hub.
2017-9-3
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

11 Sept - and I have not heard a word from DJI since their last message on 8th August asking me to be "patient".
I'm not sure what I am supposed to deduce from this, perhaps DJI have given-up..
Such a shame..

Kind regards
Allan
2017-9-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Went to purchase balancing ring from a local retailer. I was curious to check out I2 on the display table. Mate, the red prop really is loose. There is too much play there. I wonder how the engineer says it is within safety spec. An independent engineer should have a good look at them. Then they may be willing to fix the problem.
2017-9-12
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does DJI even realise that prospective buyers see issues like these on the forums, and they probably hold off purchasing. Surely it would make business sense to respond to all this feedback and rectify the problems? Not to mention the poor customer service...
2017-9-12
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JerryLaurence Posted at 2017-9-12 23:14
Does DJI even realise that prospective buyers see issues like these on the forums, and they probably hold off purchasing. Surely it would make business sense to respond to all this feedback and rectify the problems? Not to mention the poor customer service...

I completely agree! Any normal business would see this and respond appropriately. I do appreciate the fact that there is also a lot of nonsense on this and other forums, but this is a clear-cut case, its well presented and well documented. It baffles me as to how a leading manufacturer can afford to simply ignore it!
Such good products and such poor customer support - its a real shame..
Kind regards
Allan
2017-9-13
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It has been over 9 months since the release of the Inspire 2 (30th November).
Let's see if this issue is addressed before the anniversary ?

If they release a Inspire 2 Pro then with "NOW with Rattle-Proof props!" I think I will loose it
2017-9-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wonder if DJI is outsourcing much of what they build and all these quality issues occur?

I was dumbfounded on how their newest focus wheel would not even bolt up correctly to the bracket so the pins could even make contact.  A large protruding boss on the bracket prevents the connection and one has to find a shoulderless threaded insert someplace to make it work, or grind off the offending boss.  As if it was never even tested.

Could be the software and firmware comes from someplace else in the world, and the final build and installation into a working drone is not finally checked for quality control at all and just pushed out for sale "as is."  It is bizarre to say the least and maybe why all these reported issues show up later, and after-sale service issues too.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

allanart Posted at 2017-9-11 09:09
11 Sept - and I have not heard a word from DJI since their last message on 8th August asking me to be "patient".
I'm not sure what I am supposed to deduce from this, perhaps DJI have given-up..
Such a shame..

Did you communicate with our support via email? Could you please PM me your email address, I will help to check the records and get you an update.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JBSonic Posted at 2017-9-13 04:53
It has been over 9 months since the release of the Inspire 2 (30th November).
Let's see if this issue is addressed before the anniversary ?

The abnormal sound and shake occur because there is a gap between the propeller and propeller mounting plate. As the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them.
Besides, the shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.
2017-9-14
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry Mindy, while we would love to accept this explanation - I'm afraid that its just not adequate.  
Any experienced engineer will confirm that NO amount of lateral free play is acceptable in ANY propeller!
I will be more than happy to discuss this with your engineer. Indeed I have been trying (without success) to have a sensible conversation with DJI about this matter since May this year.
I would be most grateful if you could facilitate this.
Please be assured however that repeating the same sentence regarding acceptable tolerance is not the way forward!

Kind regards
Allan     
2017-9-14
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As I said before, Mindy, it sometimes feels like you're treating us as children. Many of the members here are not stupid, either.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

allanart Posted at 2017-9-14 03:19
Sorry Mindy, while we would love to accept this explanation - I'm afraid that its just not adequate.  
Any experienced engineer will confirm that NO amount of lateral free play is acceptable in ANY propeller!
I will be more than happy to discuss this with your engineer. Indeed I have been trying (without success) to have a sensible conversation with DJI about this matter since May this year.

I understand I have repeated the same sentence in several threads, but this is the official explanation from our R&D engineers.
The new propellers with bouncy foam has eliminated the rattling sound but the gap may still persist in some propellers plate. Please note it will not affect the flight.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JerryLaurence Posted at 2017-9-14 07:02
As I said before, Mindy, it sometimes feels like you're treating us as children. Many of the members here are not stupid, either.

Jerry, we will never treat customers as children, many users have richer flight experience and ability even than us. This is the official explanation from our engineers, not lie, appreciate your understanding.
2017-9-15
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules