36392 123 2017-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

hopefully I have my spark on routine - I have just had a thought of which usb leads come with controller ?

I have a Samsung S8 which requires USB-C, is it the case I'll need to get one of those for my phone or does it already come with one supplied ?

Thanks

Tony
2017-6-15
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

Its wifi. At least thats what the manual said. Rc has its own wifi like the spark
2017-6-15
Use props
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144 ft
United Kingdom

Oh ok cool - thanks for the reply - I also saw the manual but wasn't sure.

Thanks again
2017-6-15
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

The RC is just a wifi repeater from your phone. The only port it has is charging port.
2017-6-15
Use props
eL6uRCU98KkD
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Actually you guys are wrong, if you get an adapter you can connect via usb like on the phantoms.
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

eL6uRCU98KkD Posted at 2017-6-17 07:17
Actually you guys are wrong, if you get an adapter you can connect via usb like on the phantoms.

Negative...I just tried it.  You may think you have connection via USB, but turn off the WIFI on the iPad/phone and see what happens
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

The USB connection DOES work with the DJI Goggles
2017-6-17
Use props
eL6uRCU98KkD
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI SPARK UNBOXING & HIDDEN FEATURE FOUND!
This can increase the range of your drone because the phone wifi won't interfere with the drone

Watch this video for the fly more combo unboxing:   
Watch this video for for the hidden feature of the DJI Spark:
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-17 07:29
The USB connection DOES work with the DJI Goggles

Disregard, I had a bad cable
2017-6-17
Use props
fansfaf1dce9
New
United States

Dji Spark controller
2017-6-29
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

This is the best cable for iPhone I have found: http://amzn.to/2sIM8Ac this is the best one for android http://amzn.to/2s8wzyy
If you have a phone that uses USB-C this is probably your best solution:

http://amzn.to/2s8wISC along with this http://amzn.to/2u5EEWr
2017-6-29
Use props
AKentphoto
lvl.1
United States

I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and in a pinch I bought the apple camera connect dongle and have yet to get it working.  Anyone have any success?  I also got a cable that connects to usbc for my G5 and have yet to get it working on that as well.  I'm thinking it has to do with the file sharing permissions?  What setting is the USB setting everyone using on android?
2017-7-4
Use props
Zotyo79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7635 ft
Germany

Hi, It is not even which order You plug the cables in (according my experience)! If You connect like that: RC - OTG Cable - USB Cable (provided with Spark) - Phone ... it works. If You connect like this: RC - USB Cable (provided with Spark) - OTG cable - Phone... it won't recognise the phone the RC.  I use Galaxy S5.

Also a good advice if you are right handed Position the phone in such a way, that the cable is at your left Hand... it disturbs less.

2017-7-6
Use props
fansa78206ef
New
United States

Worked perfectly and I didnt think it would after trying it the second day I got my spark. @Zotyo79 thanks for posting this! Incidentally it works with my 6" micro to micro cable from amazon too! But I modeled and printed an adapter for my Nexus 7 tablet to fit the controller and now it strains to fit so ill be using the OTG I have with the stock white spark cable. Im not sure if any of this increases my range or image quality of the spark but I will find out hopefully today.
Anyone interested in the adapter I made, its here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2428962 and there is no hole for the micro usb yet...maybe Ill get to model a hole in there today
2017-7-16
Use props
AndreasSparky
New
Netherlands

Hey I am from Europe and I just got myself Spark with remote

I checked the remote a bit closer and saw that the Connector on  the Spark remote is not a USB Micro B female its an USB Micro A Female ..
and now I wonder where I can get a decent USB Micro A Cable or adapter because the Micro B looks a bit sloppy inside the Micro A Port

anyone any idear ?
2017-7-18
Use props
djiuser_EUs5gpS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

For piece of mind I'm going to go the OTG route.... (Samsung S8)
Have put the items "Bradders" above recomended into my amazon basket but just noticed that DJI themselves are releasing an official OTG cable.... Much like when i paid my deposit on the spark, it has no release date.
In two minds as to whether i should spend the £17 + P&P on the amazon option or await the official one which will apparantly be £5
2017-7-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

yea, OTG works, i have used it.  i may need a better cable though.   but ya i disabled wifi and enable airplane mode and it works fine..

DJI says OTG mode isn't officially supported because lack of overall testing and verification, however it works.   how well it works depends on ton of other factors.
2017-7-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-24 08:16
yea, OTG works, i have used it.  i may need a better cable though.   but ya i disabled wifi and enable airplane mode and it works fine..

DJI says OTG mode isn't officially supported because lack of overall testing and verification, however it works.   how well it works depends on ton of other factors.

Don't get to use to it...word is that the OTG functionality might be removed with the next FW update.
2017-7-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-24 08:17
Don't get to use to it...word is that the OTG functionality might be removed with the next FW update.

if that happens i plan on returning it to amazon as non functional and getting my refund.  OTG makes a huge difference when it works, +1000 feet and minus all the lag.   given spark's less than stellar track record, if OTG gets removed that is final straw....   DJI better either keep it as unofficially supported or officially support it.   it makes a huge difference.
2017-7-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-24 08:33
if that happens i plan on returning it to amazon as non functional and getting my refund.  OTG makes a huge difference when it works, +1000 feet and minus all the lag.   given spark's less than stellar track record, if OTG gets removed that is final straw....   DJI better either keep it as unofficially supported or officially support it.   it makes a huge difference.

I'll sit tight and give DJI the benefit of the doubt
2017-7-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-24 08:57
I'll sit tight and give DJI the benefit of the doubt

they can happily keep it unofficially supported while still testing and verifying it, maybe add a disclosure when in OTG mode saying OTG is in beta and is unofficially supported, fly with caution.    even at its worst, OTG mode out does using wifi only.    that's good, because its competing with spectrum so damn much.

they also need to figure out better channel hopping or allow us to pick a spectrum manually. i hate having to jump through hoops forcing 2.4Ghz on RC and spark every time..  2.4Ghz with OTG makes a huge difference in my range even over areas of higher interference.   2.4Ghz on RC +_ phone + spark = nightmare it also means sometimes it jumps to 5 Ghz band/spectrum and i loss everything for a few moments.  

basically, as i see it... spark in its current state, DJI needs to hyper focus and put a lot of its resources into fixing the spark.  by fixing it i mean foxing it, not adding more gestures.. or removing OTG support, they need to really fix things.  and have better fall back system if something fails.
2017-7-24
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Something like this will work for you http://amzn.to/2uT7wnM
2017-7-24
Use props
M1dn1ght N1nj4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11522 ft
United States

I know I'm late to the party, but I have a Google Pixel XL (type C) and I wanted ONE cable to connect the phone and the controller together.  None of that right angle crap.  Found this little gem:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCrea ... ebook/dp/B01M72GS0H

At just a hair under 8" long, this is perfect!
2017-8-31
Use props
freeflightflyin
New
Flight distance : 7930 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone having the issue with the S8 whereby when plugged in. The phone insists on charging the RC? I've tried tapping on the notification to switch to file transfer mode and not charging but it jumps back to charging! Tried with the app opened and closed when doing this.

I've also made sure that the cables are all capable of data transfer with other devices (both the micro usb to usb a and also the otg cable with a flash drive)
2017-9-1
Use props
beatm01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132848 ft
Australia

M1dn1ght N1nj4 Posted at 2017-8-31 13:08
I know I'm late to the party, but I have a Google Pixel XL (type C) and I wanted ONE cable to connect the phone and the controller together.  None of that right angle crap.  Found this little gem:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Short-USB-C-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B01M72GS0H

LOOKS Great, but  this is NOT an OTG Cable!  If you notice, the HOST Side of the cable (which must be fitted to the RC) is Micro USB-C, but the RC female connection is Micro USB2!  This is why it causes the RC to be receiving Charging from the phone & not connecting to the  Spark via the RC, because the cable is fitted IN REVERSE.  So, you need a HOST (OTG) Cable to the RC, and a standard Data USB Cable to your Phone!
2017-9-11
Use props
M1dn1ght N1nj4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11522 ft
United States

beatm01 Posted at 2017-9-11 22:11
LOOKS Great, but  this is NOT an OTG Cable!  If you notice, the HOST Side of the cable (which must be fitted to the RC) is Micro USB-C, but the RC female connection is Micro USB2!  This is why it causes the RC to be receiving Charging from the phone & not connecting to the  Spark via the RC, because the cable is fitted IN REVERSE.  So, you need a HOST (OTG) Cable to the RC, and a standard Data USB Cable to your Phone!

The port on the RC is technically a micro USB-A (square).  There is no such thing as a micro USB-C.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/dell-venue-8-pro/51708d1386732380-untitled.png

It will also accept a micro USB-B.

Also, the cable is non-directional.  The "host" is determined by the devices software and driver.

For example, my Pixel XL can be both.  I can attach a USB flash drive directly to the phone as a slave device, making my phone the host.

I can also connect my phone to a computer (host), and use it as an external flash drive (slave).

I can also either receive a charge (slave), or charge another device using my phones USB port (host).
2017-9-11
Use props
beatm01
lvl.1
Australia

OK, I 'm sorry for adding the word Micro to USB-C.
So the Linking of the Spark RC & your phone work successfullY?? Because in the very Link you sent on that Cable has  Consumer Q&As down below where they state that this cable is NOT an OTG Cable! See Cut & paste below:

Question: Is this an OTG cable?
Answer: Dear customer, it is not an OTG cable, but we do have OTG cables, please check the link: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-C ... cable+CableCreation and https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Braided-Adapter-Func… see more
By CableCreation SELLER  on April 14, 2017

I have also read a number of posts that state the OTG (Host Portion) has to be plugged into the RC, not into the phone.  Unfortunately, I purchased a USB-C OTG & that  simply won't work when plugged into the phone instead of the RC...
2017-9-12
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB- ... +micro+usb+to+usb+c

This might work, straight USB-C (phone) to micro usb (controller)
2017-9-12
Use props
beatm01
lvl.1
Australia

lannes Posted at 2017-9-12 04:33

Looks like it might! Trouble is, Amazon tells me they will not ship these items to Australia!!! Wonder why?
Could it be because the Australian version of Amazon has opened?? However, these cables are not listed on the Australian Version
2017-9-12
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

beatm01 Posted at 2017-9-12 16:40

ebay, but make sure they are data transfer capable
2017-9-13
Use props
Urs.
New
Switzerland

Hi
(Please excuse my language capabilities, I'm not native English.)
Just to skip some bla bla on the Forum:
OTG Cable has a Host-End (ID- and GND-Pin connected) and a Periphery-End (GND-Pin floats).
Host-End: DJI Spark Controller
Periphery-End: Cell Phone
Correct?
Best Regard
Urs
2018-5-15
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

I have read the previous responses about the OTG cable...but...
I just purchased a Spark from SAMS Club. It came with the RC, 2 batteries, charger and cable as well as,  2 cables.
These other cables are short with 90 degree connectors on one end.
I assume one will work as the link between the RC and my Galaxy S4, Android phone.
However I cannot seem to get it to work.
Am I doing this wrong?
I can link everything through the WiFi, fine.
I then try turning off the WiFi, on the phone, so I can just link through the cable...when I do this, the green lihgt stays on (the RC) which lets me know it is linked with the Spark, however I lose the picture from the Spark.
What am I doing wrong?
The Cable I'm using is Micro USB at both ends. Or at least it seems to be Micro USB at the straight end as it fits the RC, but looks a little more rectangular. the other end (90 degree) is definately Micro USB.
2018-11-13
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT Posted at 11-13 21:35
I just purchased a Spark from SAMS Club. It came with the RC, 2 batteries, charger and cable as well as,  2 cables.
These other cables are short with 90 degree connectors on one end.

Try flipping your cable end for end and see if that helps.
2018-11-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT Posted at 11-13 21:35
These other cables are short with 90 degree connectors on one end.

Your phone gets charged?
If yes, don't turn the cable.
Aside if it is a original DJi cable, that shouldn't fit, anyway.
The 90° is micro B, the other micro A.
B fits in A, but A not in B

You are on Lollipop, right?
Get an older app from apk mirror
4.2.21 or even 4.1.15
2018-11-13
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
United States

Here is better clarification than I posted, last night:
My bundle package: "Spark Controller Combo 980123900"
Yes all the cables are original DJI from their package.
The two cables are the short, black, one end right angle, cables that came included. Not the longer charging cable.
The one that fits the phone is: 6" long, appears to be Male - Micro USB-A at straight end :  Male - Micro USB-B 90 degree, at other end.
Due to this, I cannot turn my cable around as the other end will not fit my Galaxy S4 (needs Micro USB-B-Male)
1) It  will not fit, turned around.
2) I don't think the supplied cable is OTG- not sure if I need OTG with this phone? Cannot select DATA instead of charge as the option is not available.
3) Are you suggesting I downgrade my OS from 5.0.1 ? or are you saying to downgrade the Spark Go 4 application?
2018-11-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"or are you saying to downgrade the Spark Go 4 application?"

Because your phone is on Droid 5, I'd try older Go4 Versions!
ANYWAY and first!

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... o-4-4-1-15-release/
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... o-4-4-2-21-release/

And yes, you can't turn the cable.
DJI (and some other supplier) make it to plug in "one way only"
Because the direction matters.

But have you tried the "old" way of connecting the cable?
For 4.1.15 you have to:
Plug cable in phone
Start RC, wait till LED constant red
Plug in cable in RC
Phone "should see" RC and offer DJI Go to open
Start Bird, "go fly" should happen after LED on RC gets green

And: Is your Wifi "OFF"? 100% certain?
2018-11-14
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
United States

S-e-ven, I appreciate your quick response, thank you.
I just did exactly, in the stated procedural order, what you wrote.
First I did it, WiFi off & Airplane mode.
Then tried WiFi off, Not Airplane mode.
I am very confident the WiFi was off in both scenarios.
Also tried toggling the "USB Computer Connection" between "Camera PTP" & "Media device MTP".
In all of the above scenarios:
A) The lights worked exactly as you stated, however...
1) the application did not open on it's own, I had to start it.
2) It shows "disconnected" on screen.
3) I selected "enter device", camera does not show any image (black), screen states "disconnected".
What would you suggest next?
I was considering going out and purchasing a OTG cable, putting it on the RC with teh host side facing the RC, then slave side going to a USB cable to phone.
2018-11-14
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
United States

is this the answer to waht I need?
https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... lete&position=0
2018-11-15
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I think the cable you have should do the job properly connecting it the only way you can - straight  end in remote, and 90deg. end to your phone.

I'm betting your phone isn't seeing the remote as anything other than a charging source... so you need to tell it to look at it a different way.

See if this helps you... I can help you with the settings for 6.0.1, but not 5.0.1, nor an S4... but maybe this is like yours... not sure.

Edit:  You'll want to choose "MIDI".
Here goes nothing....

2018-11-15
Use props
djiuser_NCXRokNslVsT
lvl.3
United States

White Ox Posted at 11-15 09:55
I think the cable you have should do the job properly connecting it the only way you can - straight  end in remote, and 90deg. end to your phone.

I'm betting your phone isn't seeing the remote as anything other than a charging source... so you need to tell it to look at it a different way.

White Ox,
I have watched the video and tried what you mentioned.
The only options I can choose are "PTP"  or  "MTP".
"MDI" is not an option.
Furthermore; I cannot even get the USB options to avail themselves when the cable is plugged into the RC.
I have to use a USB cable in a computer or other device to bring up the possible options.
This tells me it is not recognizing the RC as a DATA device, at all.
So I used the cable in something else, chose the different settings, then switched the cable. However it beeps as soon as the cable is changed and the options dissapear. Which menas I do not know what option if may / or may not have changed to.
However my "charging indicator" goes on when my S4 is tethered to the RC, therefore the phone is thinking it is a charging device. Just not DATA.
Any other ideas?
2018-11-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules