Opinions on my Phantom 4 Pro Image quality?
3156 12 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coyle22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5413 ft
Ireland

Hey guys, I've just upgraded to a Phantom 4 Pro and wanted to get opinions on the image quality from the drone. I find the video quality to be very good but I'm not too sure about the stills. They seem a bit soft to me but maybe my expectations were too high. There's also been some reports of various problems that cause stills to come out poor relative to video so I'd like to rule that out. I've uploaded some stills and video to a Google drive, I'd really appreciate if you could take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... a1JvY0k?usp=sharing
2017-6-16
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think they look great......especially when you zoom in!
2017-6-16
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Hi, I think the pictures look a bit out of focus. The video looks great
2017-6-16
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

Stills look soft & muddy to me.
2017-6-16
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

Did you use focus assistant with the stills (half press on the button)? They do look like you did not allow the camera to focus.
2017-6-16
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to take it up again over the weekend, I'm fairly sure I used the autofocus with focus assistant but I'll double check again and update either way!
2017-6-16
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I would do the same shot with different aperture settings to see where it is the sharpest. I actually keep meaning to do the same test.. This lens isn't one you will find in a DLSR, but you can take some beautiful pictures with them.  The corner sharpness is low on these due to the lens correction they do to the picture. If you look at the actual raw file (without the built in corrections) there's a lot of vignetting going on with these lenses.

P4P Raw Uncorrected

P4P Raw Uncorrected
P4Prawphotshop.jpg
2017-6-16
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

Hi guys, I've uploaded some more photos since, both from the ground and air. Your feedback on them would be greatly appreciated! Also, I can confirm the photos were shot in automatic with Focus Assistant. Thanks
2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

coyle22 Posted at 2017-6-20 15:12
Hi guys, I've uploaded some more photos since, both from the ground and air. Your feedback on them would be greatly appreciated! Also, I can confirm the photos were shot in automatic with Focus Assistant. Thanks

I was making the same comment to another poster just a few moments ago. Because of the location you are shooting in, the sun is at a low angle in the sky and a number of your photos are shooting into scenes that are in shadow. Because of this, the camera will auto-expose for the bright sky and the detail in the shadows will be lost. Try to shoot where the sun lights thje landscape, otherwise you will get dull photos that the camera has difficulty with. The camera likes lots of light and really only performs at its best with plenty of light.
2017-6-20
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

Thanks for the tips. I'll upload some more and let you know when they're up!
2017-6-21
Use props
coyle22
lvl.2
Ireland

I've just uploaded a bunch more photos onto the Google Drive (Link in original post). I tried to include ones of various lighting conditions so would appreciate your feedback on them! Regards, Kevin
2017-6-22
Use props
Lowdspeaker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290856 ft
United States

coyle22 Posted at 2017-6-22 14:32
I've just uploaded a bunch more photos onto the Google Drive (Link in original post). I tried to include ones of various lighting conditions so would appreciate your feedback on them! Regards, Kevin

Hey Kevin! I checked out your photos and the earlier ones depicting a larger scene definitely do seem a little soft. I have noticed a similar issue with shooting sills with the P4P. The video always seems to come out a bit more crisp, (not referring to sharpness). I think doing a focus test like Mobilecams suggested would be a good idea. I've suspected that at certain aperatures the Phatom does appear sharper or muddier.
2017-6-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

They look fine. Remember,  you can set the focus manually or leave it in auto focus. In auto depress the shutter button until you see the focus area outline and then depress to take the shot.
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules