Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video Cache?
41103 22 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mycypher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 682215 ft
  • >>>
United States

Greetings!
I was hoping someone could help me clear up my understanding of the video cache, particularly as it relates to an I Pad Mini.

If my cache is full, should the video also stop recording to the card?
Since the cache video is a downgraded resolution that I wouldn't use for completed work anyway, why cache my videos?

Thanks in advance
2017-6-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You can choose to cache the video files or not, it is in the settings. I don't see any point in doing so, as there is a much higher quality version on the SD card in the aircraft. But some people want to take the cached video, edit it on their crappy phone and post it on Facebook or similar.

You can also choose to erase old files on your iPad if the storage gets full. And no, it should not stop recording on the SD card if the iPad cache is full.

2017-6-16
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find the cached video files that the DJI GO 4 app records to my tablet (iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3) to be very useful for documenting my flights as both the live video transmission from the P4Pro and the audio picked up by the mic on your tablet are recorded in the same video file.  I have gotten in the habit of talking throughout my flights now to provide a running commentary of what I'm doing and why.  Note: the cached video would also come in handy if you, heaven forbid, crashed your aircraft or accidentally erased the files on the SD card in the aircraft camera. The cached videos with audio files can be easily edited and posted to YouTube, etc. using the DJI GO 4 app editor.  I often play the cached video file on my tablet as I watch the high-quality 4K video recorded on the P4Pro camera SD Card on my 4K TV so that I get to watch both beautiful, 4K video while listening to my own commentary recorded for that flight.

With regard to your question about whether filling the allocated video cache on your table can cause the video to also stop recording on the P4Pro.  I don't think this is supposed to happen, BUT I have had this exact thing happen to me a couple times. I set up the DJI GO 4 app to automatically clear the cache as it fills up (an option that can be turned ON or OFF), in which case the DJI GO 4 app erases the oldest cached video file first to make more room. But there have been a couple times when both the tablet cache buffer reached its maximum size and the video on my P4Pro stopped recording at the same time and I did not intentionally STOP the video.  I think it's a bug, but a difficult one for DJI to address, because it only happens occasionally.
2017-6-16
Use props
mycypher
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Everyone's answers were extremely helpful, and I appreciate the time taken to reply.

After a 90 minute drive to my shoot location, and getting what I thought were great shots, I get home to see that I had 3 videos that stopped at exactly 5:27 each. By my calculation, that's about where the video cache limit was set, but I'm not sure. Is it the card? Is it a bug? Either way, I've got to take the time to repeat the job (thankfully I have an Inspire to use for backup), and figure out if the bug is with the card I'm using, or the DJI Go 4 App.

Thanks again for the replies.
2017-6-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mycypher Posted at 2017-6-16 19:13
Everyone's answers were extremely helpful, and I appreciate the time taken to reply.

After a 90 minute drive to my shoot location, and getting what I thought were great shots, I get home to see that I had 3 videos that stopped at exactly 5:27 each. By my calculation, that's about where the video cache limit was set, but I'm not sure. Is it the card? Is it a bug? Either way, I've got to take the time to repeat the job (thankfully I have an Inspire to use for backup), and figure out if the bug is with the card I'm using, or the DJI Go 4 App.

What size are the video files? You might find they are just on 4GB in size, which is where the aircraft will split the files. But if that is not the case, then perhaps do some tests at home without actually flying. Try disabling the cache to your phone/tablet and see if that has any effect.
2017-6-16
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-6-16 18:08
I find the cached video files that the DJI GO 4 app records to my tablet (iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3) to be very useful for documenting my flights as both the live video transmission from the P4Pro and the audio picked up by the mic on your tablet are recorded in the same video file.  I have gotten in the habit of talking throughout my flights now to provide a running commentary of what I'm doing and why.  Note: the cached video would also come in handy if you, heaven forbid, crashed your aircraft or accidentally erased the files on the SD card in the aircraft camera. The cached videos with audio files can be easily edited and posted to YouTube, etc. using the DJI GO 4 app editor.  I often play the cached video file on my tablet as I watch the high-quality 4K video recorded on the P4Pro camera SD Card on my 4K TV so that I get to watch both beautiful, 4K video while listening to my own commentary recorded for that flight.

With regard to your question about whether filling the allocated video cache on your table can cause the video to also stop recording on the P4Pro.  I don't think this is supposed to happen, BUT I have had this exact thing happen to me a couple times. I set up the DJI GO 4 app to automatically clear the cache as it fills up (an option that can be turned ON or OFF), in which case the DJI GO 4 app erases the oldest cached video file first to make more room. But there have been a couple times when both the tablet cache buffer reached its maximum size and the video on my P4Pro stopped recording at the same time and I did not intentionally STOP the video.  I think it's a bug, but a difficult one for DJI to address, because it only happens occasionally.

When I open the SD card on my MBP, it shows two directories,
/DCIM
and
/MISC

then:

/DCIM/100MEDIA (where you find pics and full resolution videos)

and:

/MISC/IDX
/MISC/LOG
/MISC/THM/100 (where you can find a copy of videos in lower resolution)
/MISC/XCODE

Are the videos in /MISC/THM/100 the same that are cached in the tablet?

Example data for one of the videos there:
Dimensions: 1280 x 720
Codecs: H.264
Color Profile: HD (1-1-1)
Total bit rate: 7,751
2017-6-17
Use props
mycypher
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-17 03:52
When I open the SD card on my MBP, it shows two directories,
/DCIM
and

I never noticed that. Thanks!
2017-6-20
Use props
mycypher
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-16 20:14
What size are the video files? You might find they are just on 4GB in size, which is where the aircraft will split the files. But if that is not the case, then perhaps do some tests at home without actually flying. Try disabling the cache to your phone/tablet and see if that has any effect.

Ok - I believe you've just solved my small dilema. "The aircraft splits files at about 4GB." The files that are 5:27 are indeed just below 4GB (3.8).  I never knew this. Good to keep in mind.

Thanks for the clarity!
2017-6-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mycypher Posted at 2017-6-20 19:09
Ok - I believe you've just solved my small dilema. "The aircraft splits files at about 4GB." The files that are 5:27 are indeed just below 4GB (3.8).  I never knew this. Good to keep in mind.

Thanks for the clarity!

Hi. And just for 100% understanding, that's an old throwback to DOS file system days. 4Gb is the largest filesize supported by the FAT32 file system. Why DJI have chosen to stay restricted by that, I have no idea.

Otherwise, what is retained on your controller is what is fed to you in-flight i.e. what you're watching on your controller. That's why you'll see video glitches repeated there. What's stored on the craft's SD card is the video captured by the camera in all its glory.

I personally keep a reasonably sized cache (8Gb), with the app set to auto clear it (not to stop saving the video, but to start clearing the oldest files stored there and keep going).  I do this because the DJI GO Editor uses the files stored there by default. Sure, I'll cut my quality video from the files on the SD card after I get home, but in the meantime I can get Editor to autocreate a short video of highlights from selected video files in the cache, and then post that up to Facebook (or whatever). It'll also add a music track too. If you don't like what Editor auto-selects, you can just keep regenerating a video until you do. It's actually quite clever, although many people haven't taken the time to play with it.

[edit] Noted that I'm repeating much of TheMann58 post. So maybe I should just say "+1"... hehe
2017-6-20
Use props
fanscab4244e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38904 ft
United States

I had a problem.  I did not have a SD card in the mavic so had no choice but to cache to my Android phone.  I was in a hurry to take a last video before my plane and got the message that the cache was full, which caused it not to be able to record the video.  So I inadvertently cleared cache to continue recording and lost all my previous videos recording on the trip.  is there any way to recover these files?
2017-10-7
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Denmark

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-6-16 18:08

The the low-res videos that can be cached (or not) on the device are also saved to the SD card, in a directory called MISC/THM which is kind of weird, as I can access it on my macbookPro running an older OS (10.6.8) but doesn't show in a newer OS (10.11). I don't know if it is visible in Windows systems. but I remember that in XP there was a way to make files visible or invisible ...
2017-10-8
Use props
TeamChrisAllen
lvl.1
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-10-8 00:37
The the low-res videos that can be cached (or not) on the device are also saved to the SD card, in a directory called MISC/THM which is kind of weird, as I can access it on my macbookPro running an older OS (10.6.8) but doesn't show in a newer OS (10.11). I don't know if it is visible in Windows systems. but I remember that in XP there was a way to make files visible or invisible ...

Yeah I can't access those other files on the latest mac OS. Having the same issue where my Osmo+ shuts off on its on around 4gb. Dji suggested I try a new sd card. I'm using a 32gb class 10 U1 card. I'll use the sd card my osmo+ came with and see if it still happens.
2018-2-20
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Denmark

TeamChrisAllen Posted at 2018-2-20 10:35
Yeah I can't access those other files on the latest mac OS. Having the same issue where my Osmo+ shuts off on its on around 4gb. Dji suggested I try a new sd card. I'm using a 32gb class 10 U1 card. I'll use the sd card my osmo+ came with and see if it still happens.

Good news! I have found the way to access those hidden files, both from Windows AND MacOS: https://www.wikihow.com/Open-the-Hidden-Files-in-a-USB-Pen-Drive
what I did is the following:
put the card in a USB card reader connected to your Mac.

Open Terminal (in Utilities folder)

Type:     defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
Type:     killall Finder

open the card
you should be able to see a folder called MISC, either looking normal or greyed-out
open the  folder MISC
open the greyed-out subfolder THM and then its subfolder named 100
open any of the greyed-out files in it (if you want you can copy them to a folder in your desktop or anywhere else)

When you are finished ,
in Terminal
type:  defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
type: killall Finder

It worked for me
2018-2-21
Use props
TeamChrisAllen
lvl.1
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-2-21 03:24
Good news! I have found the way to access those hidden files, both from Windows AND MacOS: https://www.wikihow.com/Open-the-Hidden-Files-in-a-USB-Pen-Drive
what I did is the following:
put the card in a USB card reader connected to your Mac.

Awesome Antonio thx! Right now I'm mainly trying to keep my Osmo+ from stopping the recording on it's own. Another thread(https://forum.dji.com/thread-35033-1-1.html) suggested that I change my "video standard" option and go from shooting 4k to 1080p due to the type of sd card I have(class 10 and U1 card 32GB), which i did..from NTSc to PAL and that did help but I noticed that the rec stopped itself at 20+minutes vs 4 or 14min.

Have you had any exp with the issue?
2018-2-25
Use props
IamWedge
First Officer
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

mycypher Posted at 2017-6-16 19:13

I noticed on mine that when i fly for the duration of the battery that each file I have is 5:27 each as well. But the cut between the files have no break when you go to edit them. The time frame remains constant. No video lost. Im going to read more and see what I need to do about chaching as well.
2018-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

IamWedge Posted at 2018-2-25 20:03
I noticed on mine that when i fly for the duration of the battery that each file I have is 5:27 each as well. But the cut between the files have no break when you go to edit them. The time frame remains constant. No video lost. Im going to read more and see what I need to do about chaching as well.

This is quite normal, it is a limitation of the file system, and also a workaround to avoid paying higher taxes in some countries. The relevant thing is the file size, not the duration, it limits each file to a maximum size of justr under 4 GB.
2018-2-25
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Denmark

TeamChrisAllen Posted at 2018-2-25 16:22
Awesome Antonio thx! Right now I'm mainly trying to keep my Osmo+ from stopping the recording on it's own. Another thread(https://forum.dji.com/thread-35033-1-1.html) suggested that I change my "video standard" option and go from shooting 4k to 1080p due to the type of sd card I have(class 10 and U1 card 32GB), which i did..from NTSc to PAL and that did help but I noticed that the rec stopped itself at 20+minutes vs 4 or 14min.

Have you had any exp with the issue?

I don't know about the OSMO, but I know that on the P4P camera recordings are limited to a max of 4 Gb. When that limit is reached, the camera will automatically start a new recording, that you can seamlessly join when you edit your video. Maybe it happens with the Osmo too? It doesn't really depend on the type of SD card one uses, nor on the formatting...
2018-2-26
Use props
TeamChrisAllen
lvl.1
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-2-26 02:06
I don't know about the OSMO, but I know that on the P4P camera recordings are limited to a max of 4 Gb. When that limit is reached, the camera will automatically start a new recording, that you can seamlessly join when you edit your video. Maybe it happens with the Osmo too? It doesn't really depend on the type of SD card one uses, nor on the formatting...

Ah  thank you. I really hope this is it. Although if so why DJI wouldn’t make this plain knowledge idk..unless they don’t want to deter buyers. Or maybe I just overlooked that info in plain sight.
2018-2-26
Use props
TeamChrisAllen
lvl.1
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-2-26 02:06
I don't know about the OSMO, but I know that on the P4P camera recordings are limited to a max of 4 Gb. When that limit is reached, the camera will automatically start a new recording, that you can seamlessly join when you edit your video. Maybe it happens with the Osmo too? It doesn't really depend on the type of SD card one uses, nor on the formatting...

Ah  thank you. I really hope this is it. Although if so why DJI wouldn’t make this plain knowledge idk..unless they don’t want to deter buyers. Or maybe I just overlooked that info in plain sight.
2018-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TeamChrisAllen Posted at 2018-2-26 23:41

Probably just an oversight, like many other things. I don't believe they are deliberately hiding anything. The splitting of files at the 4GB boundary is quite common and happens in many other camera products.
2018-2-27
Use props
TeamChrisAllen
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-27 00:14
Probably just an oversight, like many other things. I don't believe they are deliberately hiding anything. The splitting of files at the 4GB boundary is quite common and happens in many other camera products.

Thx Geebax this is my first camera. So I’ll take all the info I can get. I’m typically only in front of the camera so this is good stuff. Thx for the insight!
2018-2-27
Use props
MarkGG88
New
Flight distance : 56 ft

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-16 17:27
You can choose to cache the video files or not, it is in the settings. I don't see any point in doing so, as there is a much higher quality version on the SD card in the aircraft. But some people want to take the cached video, edit it on their crappy phone and post it on Facebook or similar.

You can also choose to erase old files on your iPad if the storage gets full. And no, it should not stop recording on the SD card if the iPad cache is full.

Ah! I didn't know you could turn this option off. So annoying having crappy resolution files auto saved on my Pixel 2.

When you delete and reconnect to the MA, it repopulates the folder with the same files.
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_TBtv1wEaNfzR
lvl.1
Thailand

Can the Mavic Mini be flown without phone, just using the controller?
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules