12Next >
14983 41 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donalbain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208504 ft

Germany

I'd really like to fly my spark again, but alas i almost never get a connection.

Tried all the tricks from the videos and different orders of connection wifi and starting the Go 4 app, but I only have success about 5%-10% of the time (and at that time the battery is drained, so it's no use to start then.

In best cases the Wifi connects (and complains of the lack of internet). When I start the app it says go fly for about a few seconds before it switches to Enter Device and then it will never connect again.

Is this a known issue? Is my device broken? When it connects it delivers images and I was able to fly it once (only short, too much wind). So it can't be completely broken.

What can I do apart from getting a refund?
2017-6-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got a nvidia shield tablet that i seldom use so I updated DJI go 4 so it would work with the spark and let me say that the go app on android just plain sucks, it should be abandon. After about 1 minute the app starts to lag and freeze, after 2 minutes in the air it completely freezes then crashes so bad that I had to do a hard reset on the tablet...
2017-6-17
Use props
daveio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1890 ft
United Kingdom

You might find my post about DFS helpful.
2017-6-17
Use props
Donalbain
lvl.2

Germany

@deveio helpful indeed! I already experienced that it's almost impossible to get a wifi-connection without the 9-second-reset. Now I know why. But even when a wifi-connection is established, the app will not connect. The update today didn't change that.

I guess I wait a few days and give it another try with hopefully working software otherwise I will send the crap back. Huge disappointment so far.
2017-6-17
Use props
Erickwheeler05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2346 ft
United States

Yes, I agree and seem to be having the same issues. I am using a Google pixel XL, and sometimes the phone will recognize the Spark's wifi, other times no and I have to do the 8 second reset.  This is so frustrating.  Also, when I do get it connected and am flying, the live video feed is extremely choppy and lags so terribly that it is pretty much useless.  I too am very disappointed and am hoping dji addsses this ASAP or else I will be requesting a refund.
2017-6-18
Use props
Wachtmeister
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

Spark and Android devices really don't work well together... It almost seems, DJI is concentrateing its programming efforts on Apple devices alone. I'm having lots of issues with my Galaxy S7 Edge: No wifi connection unless the 9s-restart is initiated every single time and just now the Go4 app filled my phone's image gallery with dozens of sub-folders, containing the same pictures over and over again. I really hope there are updates lurking just around the corner..
2017-6-18
Use props
daveio
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Donalbain Posted at 2017-6-17 16:09
@deveio helpful indeed! I already experienced that it's almost impossible to get a wifi-connection without the 9-second-reset. Now I know why. But even when a wifi-connection is established, the app will not connect. The update today didn't change that.

I guess I wait a few days and give it another try with hopefully working software otherwise I will send the crap back. Huge disappointment so far.

What version of Android are you using, @Donalbain? In 7.0 and above, there's a bug where networks set up by apps (for example if you scan the QR code to connect) won't go through the 'no Internet access' confirmation process. When Android detects a wifi network with no captive portal and no Internet access, it won't allow any traffic to go to that network unless you explicitly tell it to. That's a good thing, it saves wonky networks taking your phone's data connection offline.

You can get around the bug (ie not being asked for confirmation) by going into your device's wifi settings, connecting to another network, then connecting to the quad's wifi again using the existing saved entry.

What will then happen is there'll be a delay of a few seconds, and a notification will pop up about "no Internet access". Tap it, tick "Don't ask me again for this network" and tell it to use the network anyway. Once you've done that, restart DJI GO (pressing BACK twice at the app home screen will quit it, then you can start it again) and it should see the quad. As long as you ticked "Don't ask me again for this network", you won't need to do the same thing in future for that specific quad's wifi, it'll all work as intended.

To be fair, this particular issue isn't DJI's fault. It's a design decision by the Android developers to add complexity in order to avoid the most common wifi issues. Sadly it doesn't play well with the way DJI handles wifi connectivity, but at least you can work around it.
2017-6-19
Use props
Donalbain
lvl.2

Germany

@daveio It's Android 7.1! Thanks for the detailed description! This was the first helpful advice for my problem. I tried the procedure you suggested and hit the »no internet«-Popup and set it to don't ask me. After that I got a connection that worked until I cut it. So full success so far. Will try to fly tomorrow (it's now night here).

I'd expect to find these infos in the DJI-Go app. This is kind of neglect by DJI. Too bad that they focus on Apple instead of Android while here in Germany Apple has a market share of only 21%.
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about the issue you're faced with, just to clarify, it only happens on Android devices, right?
To figure it out, please help me confirm the following information, thanks in advance.
1. You purchased Spark or Spark Combo?
2. If you purchased Spark, please export the data from black box as the tutorial below, then upload it to Dropbox and post the link here.
3. If It is Spark Combo, please connect the Remote WiFi on your mobile device if you use remote when flying, while you need connect the aircraft WiFi on mobile device if you fly it without Remote. If the problem persists after confirmation again, please export the data for further analysis.

PS: To export the data, please download the Assistant 2 from DJI offcial Spark webiste, install it then connect your Spark to PC, run Assistant 2, click on "Black box" in the left side, you could save it to local, here is the picture for your reference:
Black box.png
2017-6-22
Use props
paulhummerman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114915 ft
United States

same problems. be very careful - it can disconnect during flight even when you are well within range, and crash.
2017-6-23
Use props
paulhummerman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114915 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-22 22:45
Sorry to hear about the issue you're faced with, just to clarify, it only happens on Android devices, right?
To figure it out, please help me confirm the following information, thanks in advance.
1. You purchased Spark or Spark Combo?

why don't you get an android phone and see for yourself/
2017-6-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

paulhummerman Posted at 2017-6-23 09:21
why don't you get an android phone and see for yourself/

Actually speaking, we could have a test on our end, while it would be better to confirm the details with you so we can figure it out soon, sorry for any inconvenience caused.
2017-6-25
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

DJI Natalia , you better work quick because from what I can see , we sadly growing into army of disappointed people.
2017-6-25
Use props
MagnusAerials
New

United States

Same issue. OnePlus 3t Android 7.1 connects to WiFi but rarely connects to DJI app. When u enter it takes you to WiFi which is already connected. Very annoying and disappointing
2017-6-28
Use props
Sparkolo
New
Flight distance : 36 ft
Italy

daveio Posted at 2017-6-19 07:42
What version of Android are you using, @Donalbain? In 7.0 and above, there's a bug where networks set up by apps (for example if you scan the QR code to connect) won't go through the 'no Internet access' confirmation process. When Android detects a wifi network with no captive portal and no Internet access, it won't allow any traffic to go to that network unless you explicitly tell it to. That's a good thing, it saves wonky networks taking your phone's data connection offline.

You can get around the bug (ie not being asked for confirmation) by going into your device's wifi settings, connecting to another network, then connecting to the quad's wifi again using the existing saved entry.

Hi daveio, I've got the same problem...with Huawei P9 lite and android 7.0.
But tapping on "no internet connection" nothing happens, I can only select "no" or "yes" for staing on the old connection or seeking for another one.
maybe the italian version of android is the problem??
there is another way to get around it??
thanks i advance,
Stefano
2017-7-2
Use props
daveio
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sparkolo Posted at 2017-7-2 13:49
Hi daveio, I've got the same problem...with Huawei P9 lite and android 7.0.
But tapping on "no internet connection" nothing happens, I can only select "no" or "yes" for staing on the old connection or seeking for another one.
maybe the italian version of android is the problem??

@Sparkolo Can you please post screenshots of the flow you're seeing? On most devices, you can take one by holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN for a couple of seconds.
2017-7-3
Use props
CaptMoo
New
United States

My wifi says Connected, No Internet... I've never gotten another screen besides Enter Device on the DJI Go.  I have a BB Priv.
I have a Phantom 3 and never had any problems, I get the spark, and I havent been able to fly it yet. Sucks.
2017-7-3
Use props
Sparkolo
New
Italy

daveio Posted at 2017-7-3 02:41
@Sparkolo Can you please post screenshots of the flow you're seeing? On most devices, you can take one by holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN for a couple of seconds.

still can't find a solution, also entering developer mode and forcing mobile data always on...on the left side of wifi icon there is a fixed "!" and mobile datas are off

SCREENSHOT

SCREENSHOT

2017-7-3
Use props
daveio
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sparkolo Posted at 2017-7-3 11:47
still can't find a solution, also entering developer mode and forcing mobile data always on...on the left side of wifi icon there is a fixed "!" and mobile datas are off

@Sparkolo it looks like Huawei have made modifications to Android. Unfortunately I don't know my way around the Huawei ROM, but it is definitely custom. If pressing NO and then restarting DJI GO doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't really know where to go. Perhaps look for an 'advanced settings' menu somewhere around the wifi config menus.

I'm currently downloading the user guide for the P9 Lite, I'll let you know if I find anything promising there.
2017-7-3
Use props
Sparkolo
New
Italy

daveio Posted at 2017-7-3 11:59
@Sparkolo it looks like Huawei have made modifications to Android. Unfortunately I don't know my way around the Huawei ROM, but it is definitely custom. If pressing NO and then restarting DJI GO doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't really know where to go. Perhaps look for an 'advanced settings' menu somewhere around the wifi config menus.

I'm currently downloading the user guide for the P9 Lite, I'll let you know if I find anything promising there.

tks so much!!!
2017-7-3
Use props
daveio
lvl.2
United Kingdom

@Sparkolo Nothing in the user guide, I'm afraid. Short of installing a custom ROM like LineageOS or similar, I don't have any useful suggestions. Sorry!
2017-7-3
Use props
Sparkolo
New
Italy

let's ask huawei...tks a lot
2017-7-3
Use props
Marco M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Italy

Sparkolo Posted at 2017-7-3 12:32
let's ask huawei...tks a lot

Hi @Sparcolo,
after few days and trials this is what I got:
Phone connected to Spark via Wi-Fi: Unreliable, unusable
Phone connected to Remote Controller via Wi-Fi: Unreliable, unusable
Phone connected to Remote Controller via Micro USB cable (http://amzn.eu/ifFVhXT): usable.
It is an unofficial way to link the Phone to RC. You find it googling.
Sometime the controller loses the connection (video) to the drone => RTH.
More often Dji GO app crashes => restart it and connect.

If I had not bought the RC (FlyMore Combo) and the cable I would have already returned the drone.
Having them I will wait two weeks before deciding (Dji GO app is terrible on Android Phones).

Marco

Dji Spark - Fly More Combo
OnePlus One - LineageOS 14.1-20170626-NIGHTLY-bacon (Android)
2017-7-5
Use props
fans995077f0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8294 ft
United Kingdom

Hi.I am having the problem that the spark keeps disconnecting from the controller.it binds OK but you get a few mtrs away and it disconnects from the controller. And returns to home but does not land it hovers about a MTR above the ground and you have to catch it and turn it over to stop the motors.please sort it out we have paid good money for these paper weights.
2017-7-11
Use props
fansb0ac2d90
New
Flight distance : 8035 ft
United States

I am also having the same issue, which I can garuntee you every android user is having. This is ridiculously easy to reproduce. At home, connected to my own wifi, if I turn on the RC and connect to its wifi, then open the DJI Go app, it connects no problem. However, in the field, with no WiFi available, if I repeat the same process, the app will never see the wifi connection to the RC. This happens every time. My solution has been to carry another phone so I can start a personal hotspot just so I can switch networks to it, then back to the RC, and bingo, the app sees the connection. This works every time.

Why is this happening? Well, I am an Android developer and know exactly why. The DJI developers have a broadcast receiver set up for network connection events, but they are not responding to the correct events. They only see change events, not connection events. This is a frustrating mistake, and shows that DJIs QA is flawed, and I garuntee you they are only testing in their offices which have wifi, and never see the problem. Send a developer into the field with a laptop, an RC and a Spark and I am sure it will take 5 minutes to fix
2017-7-13
Use props
fans9708f972
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansb0ac2d90 Posted at 2017-7-13 10:56
I am also having the same issue, which I can garuntee you every android user is having. This is ridiculously easy to reproduce. At home, connected to my own wifi, if I turn on the RC and connect to its wifi, then open the DJI Go app, it connects no problem. However, in the field, with no WiFi available, if I repeat the same process, the app will never see the wifi connection to the RC. This happens every time. My solution has been to carry another phone so I can start a personal hotspot just so I can switch networks to it, then back to the RC, and bingo, the app sees the connection. This works every time.

Why is this happening? Well, I am an Android developer and know exactly why. The DJI developers have a broadcast receiver set up for network connection events, but they are not responding to the correct events. They only see change events, not connection events. This is a frustrating mistake, and shows that DJIs QA is flawed, and I garuntee you they are only testing in their offices which have wifi, and never see the problem. Send a developer into the field with a laptop, an RC and a Spark and I am sure it will take 5 minutes to fix

Let's hope DJI read this soon! Before my Spark goes in the bin
2017-7-14
Use props
fans6cdfb556
New
Flight distance : 3930 ft
France

Hi,

I'm having the same issues here (with Pixel XL). I must admin it's very annoying and frustrating to debug the issue, reset the Spark wifi, reset the RC wifi, re-establish the link... Everytime.
Because when you're outdoors, it's not very likely that a Wifi network will be available outside.

I understand it's because of Android and not because of DJI, but still, you'll have to come up with clear workaround & solutions until an easy one is made available, or you'll have plenty of angry customers.

I'll try to root my Android phone so I can disable captive portal detection, and hopefully it should solve the issue. I will keep you guys posted.
2017-7-15
Use props
fans6cdfb556
New
Flight distance : 3930 ft
France

OK quick update: I did root my telephone.
Managed to brick it on the first time (google "pixel XL bouncing dots" and you'll see it seems to be quite common), but after a few more wasted hours I managed to fix it & root it for good.
I did disable the captive portal detection ("settings put global captive_portal_detection_enabled 0") but... It does not work for the "no internet connection" detection feature, and it doesn't solve the issue at all.

So I would discourage other users to follow my path, it was really a waste of time, and totally useless.
2017-7-16
Use props
Tiago331
New
Flight distance : 378579 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Hello .. i have a Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus and my Spark no detection wifi! I send this crap again to DJI.
2017-7-17
Use props
SqueakyFly
New
United States

daveio Posted at 2017-6-17 06:11

I'm flying my Spark with a Samsung Note 4, and thank god I've been flying with the Remote Controller or I would have lost/crashed this drone 90% of the times I've flown the thing. Daveio, thanks for the well articulated info on what is actually happening behind the scenes. I'll try Wachtmeister's tip on the 9 sec reset, and report back on what that does for me. As of right now, any time I try to use any of the quickshot features the Dji 4 app crashes, leaving my drone stranded. I have to restart the app and then use the map mode gps to get it back near me and visually land it. Good to know I paid over $700 to become a beta tester for android software compatibility. Kudos DJI.
2017-7-20
Use props
TyronP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70259 ft
United States

Seems like everyone is having the same issues. I did get it to work and connect but i keep getting the ( "your aricraft is flying is different country/ region. aircraft will reset its WLAN settings in accordance with local regulations. please connect later" "cancel or ok"). Why am i getting this everytime i connect?
2017-7-21
Use props
BIG MAC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384088 ft
United Kingdom

I purchased my Spark 24 hours ago and have tried at least 12 times trying to update the firmware from a brand-new ZTE Android phone. Fails every time. Gets to 99% and disconnection. I've spent over 16,000 euros on DJI in the past three months, I buy this little drone for me and I get nothing. I haven't got the combo just the Spark from Argos in Norfolk. I've not even been able to fly it yet. Now trying one last time to update firmware, gets to 99% and the yellow flashing lights appear again. I try to click off upgrade firmware yet it states 'updating firmware please wait' I'm finding this very annoying now. I'm not spending this amount of money just for DJI to concentrate on Apple devices, moreover with my Mavic I'm still having issues with the camera. DJI had better deal with this like today - or I am taking it back for a refund.
2017-7-29
Use props
maraton54
New
Flight distance : 151 ft
Turkey

Hi, I'm the new Dji Spark user. I can not connect to the wifi with the LG 5. I have to reset Spark's WiFi settings every time. Even if I do not connect once, I can not reconnect when I turn off Spark. Please help me
2017-9-28
Use props
Jpedrofaria
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11230 ft
Portugal

Well... I've been flying my spark with a Samsung Galaxy tab and managed to connect a very time, although sometimes the otg does not go around. I've got a brand new moto Z2 play and the problem I had with my Nexus 5x is back.
By a fluke I've remembered that the Samsung tab does not have mobile network. When I disconnected it, the DJI GO app on my Moto comes to life. I connect the data again and the drone stands there flying but unable to land because of the in app swipe protocol. Because of the lag between having mobile data or not is a half a dozen of seconds, you can take of in app and lose connection in a few seconds.
Can anyone confirm that it is fixed when no module data is enabled or am I just getting it wrong?
Thank you!
2017-10-7
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

daveio Posted at 2017-6-17 06:11

i believe that out of the 5GHz band, DJI uses the 5.8 sub-region only - otherwise known as UNII-3 (channels 149 through 165).
These particular channels are not subject to DFS. The channels that are subject to DFS are below 149 in the 5GHz spectrum (UNII-2, and in some countries also UNII-1).

So whatever the issue is that you encounter in 5.8GHz, it's not DFS. It's something else.
In Israel, for example, these channels are taken by the air force and are not open to the public (and DJI actually blocks them here).
2017-10-7
Use props
fans77708eb0
New
United Kingdom

Since carrying out the compulsory software update I have had the same problem. I can fly using the remote control, but without any picture or settings.
2017-10-12
Use props
John Woolley
New

United Kingdom

Have just purchased a Spark and also having an Android Phone (Moto G} is there anyone using an Android phone that are not having any problems perhaps they could say what make of phone they are using.
Also the simple answer might be to purchase a  used 5s  possibly.
2017-11-7
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya, i have an OnePlus3 (Android 7.1.1) and a Spark Combo.

Connect always on WIFI at home and out in the open.  And yes, after connection to the RC i get a message wich says that its not connected to the internet. (click OK on that)
Only problem i encouter is that switching manually to 2.4 in the app i loose connection on my phone.
My solution is an OTG cable, app will connect always.
Cheers, Hans
2017-11-7
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb0ac2d90 Posted at 2017-7-13 10:56

My sequence in connection is diiferent than yours

First i make the connection AC en RC (wait for the green RC light).
I open the app and in the app i click on enter device, find the RC there and connect to it.
After 2 seconds i get the No Internet message, click OK and retrun in the app.
Main screen shows now GO FLY, mayby it helps...

Cheers Hans
2017-11-7
Use props
fanse5394b5d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128471 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried flying with an OTG cable?

I use a nexus 7 (2013) Android 6.0.1. With the OTG I don't need to worry about WiFi. been flying for about 4 months, no probs so far.

2017-11-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules