12Next >
7197 40 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb40e181
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1877 ft
United States

New to the forum, but I've been reading since the Spark launch. This will be my first real camera drone, but I've flown RC helicopters in the past.

Reading the complaints and initial reviews, would you buy the spark again, or just pony up the extra $300 for the Mavic? (comparing the Spark FMC vs. the Fly-less Mavic)

Are the extra portability and features worth sticking with the Spark? Or, would I have a better experience with the Mavic?

I'm just looking for some opinions.
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

I have both, but my recommendation would be that if you could only choose between the Spark or the Mavic and have the financial means (i.e. $1,000) I would buy the Mavic.
2017-6-17
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It still is apples and oranges to me.  No one answer jumps out.  You'll find yourself quickly grabbing the spark much more than the Mavic - taking the spark on adventures/outings you would never think to bring the mavic on.  BUT...for those times you are specifically going to shoot drone video/photos you'll usually end up with the Mavic in your hand.

Spark enables spontaneity.  Just like what the smartphone did for taking pictures.  Requires very little commitment on your part.

Mavic Pro is great when you are going to be thoughtful and purposeful in wanting drone footage while traveling.  Requires more commitment on your part but the pay off is closer to the P4P than it is to the Spark

P4/P4P is really great for prosumers and enthusiast filmmakers (I use those terms loosely).  requires a good amount of commitment in packing it, taking up space,, setting it up, taking the shot etc but the pay off is real.

2017-6-17
Use props
fansdb40e181
lvl.1
United States

I totally agree with the spontaneity of the spark, that's the main draw. Does the mavic really prohibit spontaneity? That is, would it be considerably more laborious to carry around and get in the air?

Do y'all know if there is any data for the performance of either one at high altitudes? Like 10K+ ft in Colorado? I'm assuming the Mavic would be more reliable up there, perhaps overall.

I'm still on the fence to be sure, $300 isn't throw away money for me, but I'd rather buy once and cry once than wish for more reliability or performance.
2017-6-17
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yes there is a tangible difference in spontaneity between the Mavic and Spark.  If you want something to grow into (one drone), The Mavic has the most room.  It would also perform better at higher altitudes (the air is thinner and thus you need larger props/stronger motors to create the same lift at sea level).
If you want one drone, and you want to have it for awhile, and do everything everyone talks about doing with drones...get the Mavic
2017-6-17
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I will go with the MAVIC! You get what you paid for!
2017-6-17
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

If you can only get one get the mavic. I think the spark is great, but the mavic is a whole different beast.
2017-6-17
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Right now, image quality wise I am very impressed with the Spark and the gimbal is very impressive. Currently the main issue I am facing is connection issues to the RC for the long range landscape shots I am used to collecting with the Mavic. I currently can't get more than 200 meters with the Spark+RC before signal is lost in an open field.
2017-6-17
Use props
Kenshin
lvl.1
Singapore

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. And I am considering to get a DJI spark in the upcoming months. However, i have a few questions to ask pertaining to the spark.

FYI, I have no experience in flying any drone.

Question:

1) When the spark reach maximum travelled distance, the spark will auto turn to RTH mode and i will not have FULL control of the drone? Apparently, from one of the youtube video seen, The guy was pretty worried that it will hit the power line. Why can't he take full control of the drone when the wifi signal from the controller and the drone is within range? Sorry if i sound noob
{:4_157:}
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

I think it's sort of funny (ironic) when we talk about spontaneous use of the Spark vs the Mavic.  It was less than a year ago when we made that same statement in regards to the Mavic vs the Phantom.
2017-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Portability is not an issue with both of them they take up same amount of space. Flying obviously Mavic goes a lot further faster has longer battery.
If it's for photography there is no choice to be made Spark is a flying phone camera, Mavic is a proper camera and in the hands of the right operator can result in some very good photography.

For the extra cash Mavic is much better value , if you just want to have some fun flying and get some selfies aerial video and are not to fussy about quality and are on a limited budget this little pocket rocket is just about the most fun you can have with 6 inches of plastic.
2017-6-18
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Everyone here has great points and I think the undertone from the comments so far, specifically for your case, is to buy the Mavic Pro over the Spark.  More money but you get a lot more
2017-6-18
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic will cover all your bases. Best bang for buck.

The spark is more for personal close range "look what im doing" shots. Its less intrusive so it will give you the advantage of flying every where without being hassled.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansdb40e181
lvl.1
United States

I'm definitely leaning toward the Mavic. It'll mostly get used to document our travel and hiking. I think that's the main reason I'm even still considering the Spark.

Is everyone thinking that the Spark controller issues will get resolved? That seems to be the main issue.
2017-6-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own both and a person would be crazy to buy the spark of they can afford the mavic.
2017-6-18
Use props
Gr3g
lvl.3
United States

Kenshin Posted at 2017-6-17 22:39
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. And I am considering to get a DJI spark in the upcoming months. However, i have a few questions to ask pertaining to the spark.

I wondered the same thing.  You would think once the drone starts heading back and you get signal again, You would then be able to take over control.
2017-6-18
Use props
Gr3g
lvl.3
United States

Gr3g Posted at 2017-6-18 07:34
I wondered the same thing.  You would think once the drone starts heading back and you get signal again, You would then be able to take over control.

Actually, after reading the comments on that video, yes he could have cancelled return to home and taken over control, but he didnt know at the time as per his comment.  Sorry for off topic.
2017-6-18
Use props
Kenshin
lvl.1
Singapore

Gr3g Posted at 2017-6-18 07:38
Actually, after reading the comments on that video, yes he could have cancelled return to home and taken over control, but he didnt know at the time as per his comment.  Sorry for off topic.

thank for the answer. =)
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Kenshin Posted at 2017-6-17 22:39
Hi Guys,

If the remote connects to aircraft properly, you could cancel the RTH procedure or control the aircraft normally.
2017-6-19
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

fansdb40e181 Posted at 2017-6-17 18:19
I totally agree with the spontaneity of the spark, that's the main draw. Does the mavic really prohibit spontaneity? That is, would it be considerably more laborious to carry around and get in the air?

Do y'all know if there is any data for the performance of either one at high altitudes? Like 10K+ ft in Colorado? I'm assuming the Mavic would be more reliable up there, perhaps overall.

well, if you are say...a rock climber than the mavic wouldn't be good for that type of spontaneous photography because you would have to fold out the arms, take it off from a platform and the pack it back up but with the spark, you can just launch it from your hand and use gesture control or RC with ease. I'm sure there are other reasons the spark would be better but this is why i got the spark instead of the mavic!

that being said, the mavic clearly is better all around drone so don't get me wrong.
2017-6-19
Use props
fansdb40e181
lvl.1
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-6-19 03:09
well, if you are say...a rock climber than the mavic wouldn't be good for that type of spontaneous photography because you would have to fold out the arms, take it off from a platform and the pack it back up but with the spark, you can just launch it from your hand and use gesture control or RC with ease. I'm sure there are other reasons the spark would be better but this is why i got the spark instead of the mavic!

that being said, the mavic clearly is better all around drone so don't get me wrong.

I agree with your line of thinking for sure.  I think another reason the spark may be better is that it seems to be geared toward documenting other hobbies and activities (hiking, camping, climbing, etc.)  instead of being a new hobby on its own.

I seem to have a hobby of collecting other hobbies, and I'm afraid that's what the mavic may mean for me.

I also have a hobby of being incredibly indecisive.
2017-6-19
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

fansdb40e181 Posted at 2017-6-19 08:33
I agree with your line of thinking for sure.  I think another reason the spark may be better is that it seems to be geared toward documenting other hobbies and activities (hiking, camping, climbing, etc.)  instead of being a new hobby on its own.

I seem to have a hobby of collecting other hobbies, and I'm afraid that's what the mavic may mean for me.

hahaha i have the same problem and these hobbies are getting more and more expensive.
2017-6-19
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm in a similar quandary about the mavic and the spark. I have a phantom 4 pro already but when I want a quick shot I find the whole 'rig' too much of a faff to get flight ready.So I'm looking at the mavic or spark.

If we cast aside tech specs and image quality etc I just wonder if the spark would get used more often than a  mavic.

The portability of the mavic is awesome and looks easier to carry around than the spark BUT open it is a lot bigger.

Will the mavic draw attention to me. I have the P4P courting an audience every time it's flown. I wan to send the drone up, grab some shots and back down. No messing with the animals etc
2017-6-19
Use props
Scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Satureyes Posted at 2017-6-19 15:07
I'm in a similar quandary about the mavic and the spark. I have a phantom 4 pro already but when I want a quick shot I find the whole 'rig' too much of a faff to get flight ready.So I'm looking at the mavic or spark.

If we cast aside tech specs and image quality etc I just wonder if the spark would get used more often than a  mavic.

If you're a photographer or videographer, and can only choose one, get the Mavic.  I love the Spark for size/weight but there are a lot of things that will need to be fixed in the next few months.  I had to have both.  
2017-6-19
Use props
fans7dd18b97
lvl.1
United States

The camera is the pretty much the same in the Mavic and Spark correct? So if photography is your thing the pictures will look the same. Obviously video is better on Mavic.
2017-6-19
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's not the same camera- no raw which is a massive issue for me. I own a P4P and really wanted something to go anywhere and shoot anything. I have a feeling I'll be underwhelmed by the Spark. The Mavic will be a better back up for the P4P for sure. The portability of the mavic is better IMO than the spark but once ready to fly the spark looks fun
2017-6-20
Use props
fans8c349a91
New
United States

I'm still debating returning the spark for the mavic. While I like the portability of the spark, I've found the battery life to be shorter than I expected. I'm probably getting advertised times, but just feels short. And while it does a good job in the wind given its size and weight, I'd expect the extra power of the mavic to be a big help in windy conditions. There was a steady breeze around here today, although nothing too crazy, and the spark was fighting pretty hard. Finally, range is a bit dissapointinf on the spark, even with the remote.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans8c349a91 Posted at 2017-6-22 02:22
I'm still debating returning the spark for the mavic. While I like the portability of the spark, I've found the battery life to be shorter than I expected. I'm probably getting advertised times, but just feels short. And while it does a good job in the wind given its size and weight, I'd expect the extra power of the mavic to be a big help in windy conditions. There was a steady breeze around here today, although nothing too crazy, and the spark was fighting pretty hard. Finally, range is a bit dissapointinf on the spark, even with the remote.

I would highly recommend the Mavic, especially if you have the financial means to buy one.  Seem like a majority of us Spark owners also own Mavics, thus we can live with the downgraded camera and range.  Though the connection issues with the Spark are unacceptable.
2017-6-22
Use props
fansdb40e181
lvl.1
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-22 02:39
I would highly recommend the Mavic, especially if you have the financial means to buy one.  Seem like a majority of us Spark owners also own Mavics, thus we can live with the downgraded camera and range.  Though the connection issues with the Spark are unacceptable.

I had ordered a Spark FMC to give it a shot. I just got it yesterday, and flew it around last night and today. It was great, until it wasn't.

Every flight today, I'd lose connection between the RC and the Spark at about 120 ft altitude. It went into auto land, and hovered a foot above ground in my back yard. I had no control over it, and I could only shut it off by grabbing it and flipping it over. This happened twice, I shut everything down, restarted with a new battery, and it happened twice again. The first battery, I was using the "Hack" to connect my phone to the RC via OTG cable. The second battery, I connected the RC to my phone via WiFi.

I'm done, it's going back to DJI. I guess I'll save up for a Mavic, or wait and see what they come up with in the next few months for the Spark. I don't trust the WiFi link at all.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansdb40e181 Posted at 2017-6-22 15:17
I had ordered a Spark FMC to give it a shot. I just got it yesterday, and flew it around last night and today. It was great, until it wasn't.

Every flight today, I'd lose connection between the RC and the Spark at about 120 ft altitude. It went into auto land, and hovered a foot above ground in my back yard. I had no control over it, and I could only shut it off by grabbing it and flipping it over. This happened twice, I shut everything down, restarted with a new battery, and it happened twice again. The first battery, I was using the "Hack" to connect my phone to the RC via OTG cable. The second battery, I connected the RC to my phone via WiFi.

Sorry to hear about your Spark experience.  Unfortunately your story is the same as many others, myself included.  I truly find it hard to believe that when DJI performed testing on this product these issues never occurred.  Their testing must have been done in a freaking vacuum.  In retrospect maybe they (DJI) should have delayed the release of the Spark, similar to the Mavic release delays.   
2017-6-22
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I own a Mavic (flymore) and strategically bought a Spark (flyless) as i dont need range.
I've had the spark for a week and a bit now.
I am on the latest firmware with the Spark.
I have only flown with the virtual sticks.
I have found that the spark is awesome for 10-20m range.
I have not tried gesture mode. I have not tried the quick shot modes (dronie, orbit. helix, rocket).
All I do is set to hover for close range videos and photos. The reason i let it hover is that i have found out that the best aerial footage are straight fwd flyovers and hovers. Flyovers wont work with the spark flyless due to range.
The difference is i feel at ease more with the Spark. Nobody reacts. If i were to do that with the Mavic, you get small dirty looks and the occasional, "oh, that man over there is flying" comment...

To sum up.. I would use spark flyless for quick upclose and personal hover and the Mavic if I needed range.
They are both awesome machines and they are built for different purposes and demograph.

But... If you had to choose between a Spark Flymore or a Mavic Flyless, i would pay the extra for the Mavic flyless.
2017-6-22
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great summary. I'm 80% mavic fly more 20% spark fly more
2017-6-23
Use props
fanscd96390b
lvl.1
United States

I am a filmmaker now forced wear many hats in production (not like the old days!). I'm doing everything from commercials to wedding films and now getting hired to do architectural photography.   Up until now I've hired a professional to do drone work for me on shoots.  

My 12 year old son is very interested in drones and in helping me with production work.  I bought the Mavic before learning about the Spark and wonder if I made a mistake.I could return it.  Should I put the Mavic in the hands of a 12 year old who thinks he is serious about learning the craft, but may become frustrated with the Mavic's technology? There is something appealing about only choosing 30fps, not flying too far, but does not leave a lot of room for growth. My decision isn't really based on the $300 extra for the Mavic, but based on ease of use and performance. The quandary is that I will be sharing this drone with my 12 year old albeit for professional use.  

My question is for a first time drone flyer who is 12 years old should I trust that he can handle the Mavic and grow into it or will it be too frustrating to fly? I've seen some beautifully color graded video on vimeo taken with the Spark and for my aerial architectural photography and wedding work I have no doubt the Spark will perform.  I'm driving myself crazy going back and forth with this.  

I would definitely get the Spark  fly more combo and have him use the controllers to hone his drone skills. I want him to have fun playing around with the Spark but how soon will he grow out of it?  Also we are taking a road trip in August and I think he'd have more fun just pulling out the Spark and making a travelouge.  

I have the opportunity to have my  12 year old son (almost 13) do aerial work for me professionally, but am I crazy to put The Mavic in his hands or should I just go with the Spark?
2017-7-23
Use props
fanscd96390b
lvl.1
United States

I am a filmmaker now forced to wear many hats on my productions (not like the old days!). I'm doing everything from commercials to wedding films and now getting hired to do architectural photography.   Up until now I've hired a professional to do drone work for me on shoots and still will with larger budgets.  

My 12 year old son is very interested in drone videography and in helping me with production work.  I bought the Mavic before learning about the Spark and wonder if I made a mistake. I could return it.  Should I put the Mavic in the hands of a 12 year old who thinks he is serious about learning the craft, but may become frustrated with the Mavic's technology? There is something appealing about only choosing 30fps, not flying too far, but does not leave a lot of room for growth. My decision isn't really based on the $300 extra for the Mavic, but based on ease of use and performance. The quandary is that I will be sharing this drone with my 12 year old albeit for professional use.  

My question is for a first time drone flyer who is 12 years old should I trust that he can handle the Mavic and grow into it or will it be too frustrating to fly? I've seen some beautifully color graded video on vimeo taken with the Spark and for my aerial architectural photography and wedding work I have no doubt the Spark will perform.  I'm driving myself crazy going back and forth with this.  

I would definitely get the Spark  fly more combo and have him use the controllers to hone his drone skills. I want him to have fun playing around with the Spark but how soon will he grow out of it?  Also we are taking a road trip in August and I think he'd have more fun just pulling out the Spark and making a travelouge.  I don't want this to just be a toy for him, but a new skill he can get good at.

To sum up, I have the opportunity to have my  12 year old son (almost 13) do aerial work for me professionally, but am I crazy to put The Mavic in his hands or should I just go with the Spark?
2017-7-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find they actually fly pretty similarly.  The spark is quite a bit more maneuverable, but also a lot slower.  To me $700 isn't that much cheaper then the Mavic you already have.  I'd let the kid fly the Mavic.  Either drone are easy to fly.
2017-7-23
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Difficult choices presented here.  Easy solution-- just buy both.
2017-7-23
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-7-23 09:10
Difficult choices presented here.  Easy solution-- just buy both.

There you go...problem solved!
2017-7-23
Use props
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

I have both, I love both.
2017-7-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic, but the spark is fun to have.
2017-7-23
Use props
fanscd96390b
lvl.1
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-7-23 06:42
I find they actually fly pretty similarly.  The spark is quite a bit more maneuverable, but also a lot slower.  To me $700 isn't that much cheaper then the Mavic you already have.  I'd let the kid fly the Mavic.  Either drone are easy to fly.

Thank you! I have faith.
2017-7-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules