Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
500 m Maximum altitude
3520 24 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
valg
New
Flight distance : 83481 ft
Italy

ciao to all,
I need to increase the maximum altitude setting from 500m to at least 800m to reach the top of a mountain in an area without fly restrictions.
How can I do?
Thanks
2017-6-18
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

No way José. Only way for you to do it is to have a higher launching point so the 500 meters ceiling does not become a problem. Remember the 500 meter restriction is 500 meter AGL(above ground level) at you launching point.
2017-6-18
Use props
valg
New
Flight distance : 83481 ft
Italy

Is it the same for apps different from djigo4?
2017-6-18
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 500m altitude max is hardcoded in the firmware so using another app won't help.
2017-6-18
Use props
Jason.hansen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 155778 ft
Australia

One option although I'm not sure if it will work but you could fly to 500 metres up the mountain and then land and reset it's home position. Perhaps that will reset your altitude to zero so that you could then climb another 500 m. Completely theoretical but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
2018-1-16
Use props
nottuppaware
First Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

At some point you are going to reach a limit. Forward speed on Mavic is much faster than gaining height.
I'm not sure on actual height but if you waste 35% on getting high you're not going to have much battery to film things without triggering RTH on low battery.

Also I would also check you are actually allowed to fly that hight in your country.
2018-1-16
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Even though flying to high altitudes can be tempting, I really don't think we should do it. I personally don't mind bending the rules a bit here and there, but flying higher than 500 meters is totally insane. Firstly, it's not legal in most of the world, and secondly, we must not forget that those heights are ALWAYS belonging to manned aircraft.

We should also think of our future as drone pilots. If accidents are detected based on this type of flight, I believe we are moving ahead to a hard time with even more restrictions. Don't fly that high please... it's crazy.
2018-1-16
Use props
djiuser_CbfiJvy
Argentina

google es tu amigo
2018-1-16
Use props
Mianmach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 447293 ft
Mexico

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-16 15:25
Even though flying to high altitudes can be tempting, I really don't think we should do it. I personally don't mind bending the rules a bit here and there, but flying higher than 500 meters is totally insane. Firstly, it's not legal in most of the world, and secondly, we must not forget that those heights are ALWAYS belonging to manned aircraft.

We should also think of our future as drone pilots. If accidents are detected based on this type of flight, I believe we are moving ahead to a hard time with even more restrictions. Don't fly that high please... it's crazy.

I kindda get the idea he just wants to reach top of the mountain remotely, so perhaps the risks are different as just sending the drone 800m above him.

Of course risks of crashing and maybe causing another kind of incident are high. Anyway I wouldn't encourage anyone to fly that far from launching point, as you say, for us and future drone pilots
2018-1-16
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

We should also think of our future as drone pilots. If accidents are detected based on this type of flight, I believe we are moving ahead to a hard time with even more restrictions. Don't fly that high please... it's crazy.

What rule will I bend here in Iceland if I fly more than 500m up the mountain? I can fly 130 m AGL and out of VLOS where I am. Not all Countries are flat and some even have mountains. But I think in most countries its AGL rule not from take off point.
2018-1-16
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Denmark

G_Sig Posted at 2018-1-16 15:52
What rule will I bend here in Iceland if I fly more than 500m up the mountain? I can fly 130 m AGL and out of VLOS where I am. Not all Countries are flat and some even have mountains. But I think in most countries its AGL rule not from take off point.

You will break the rule you outline yourself.
You can fly your drone to 130m above ground level (AGL). Ground level is the height from which your drone starts his flight, no matter how high that point is above any other level. It's not the distance between a drone and a mountain wall that is higher than 130m above your starting point.
2018-1-16
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Iceland

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-16 16:52
You can fly your drone to 130m above ground level (AGL). Ground level is the height from which your drone starts his flight, no matter how high that point is above any other level. It's not the distance between a drone and a mountain wall that is higher than 130m above your starting point.

AGL has nothing to do with take of point.
2018-1-16
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Denmark

G_Sig Posted at 2018-1-16 17:01
AGL has nothing to do with take of point.

Ok, then please make me wiser.
2018-1-16
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Iceland

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-16 17:05
Ok, then please make me wiser.

More on AGL
2018-1-16
Use props
Mavdude
Second Officer
Australia

If you draw a line directly from the bottom of your drone to the ground directly beneath it, that is your distance from the ground. You can go to the top of the hill and be 120m above the top of the hill, that is legal.
Landing and taking off again half way up the hill is not really going to work, you might loose signal when you go down below the tree line, or the grass might be too long.

If you use google you will find the answers you seek ;)
2018-1-16
Use props
DroneDriver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wiser, indeed.
2018-1-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

"If you draw a line directly from the bottom of your drone to the ground directly beneath it, that is your distance from the ground. "

At least in the U.S., that is incorrect.  The distance from the aircraft to the ground is the shortest distance.  That is, if you are climbing up a mountain with a 45 degree slope, your closest point will be straight out horizontally to the surface.  That will be shorter than going straight down from the drone to a surface further away.  As long as you are within the maximum distance allowed from the nearest surface, you are good.  There's a post somewhere on this forum illustrating this point graphically.
2018-1-16
Use props
DroneDriver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-16 18:06
"If you draw a line directly from the bottom of your drone to the ground directly beneath it, that is your distance from the ground. "

At least in the U.S., that is incorrect.  The distance from the aircraft to the ground is the shortest distance.  That is, if you are climbing up a mountain with a 45 degree slope, your closest point will be straight out horizontally to the surface.  That will be shorter than going straight down from the drone to a surface further away.  As long as you are within the maximum distance allowed from the nearest surface, you are good.  There's a post somewhere on this forum illustrating this point graphically.

That would be correct, worldwide.
2018-1-16
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

We should also think of our future as drone pilots. If accidents are detected based on this type of flight, I believe we are moving ahead to a hard time with even more restrictions. Don't fly that high please... it's crazy.

He wants to fly UP A MOUNTAIN. His altitude above the ground will never exceed the limit.  This is one of those situations where the inflexibility of the software forces people to go around it.  
2018-1-16
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-16 16:52

AGL = Above Ground Level not point of liftoff.
2018-1-16
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Flying higher than 500 is possible on firmware V01.03.0800. But there is an other way just google....
2018-1-16
Use props
Mavdude
Second Officer
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-16 18:06

At least in the U.S., that is incorrect.  The distance from the aircraft to the ground is the shortest distance.  That is, if you are climbing up a mountain with a 45 degree slope, your closest point will be straight out horizontally to the surface.  That will be shorter than going straight down from the drone to a surface further away.  As long as you are within the maximum distance allowed from the nearest surface, you are good.  There's a post somewhere on this forum illustrating this point graphically.

You are probably very correct in this statement too, it would not make sense to be flying right next to a cliff  and then call 120m below you your limit. So 120m from ground or structure in any direction, might be a better way to interprit.

2018-1-16
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Denmark

Got it... I was wrong - thank you all for good info.
Where I live we can not fly more than 100 meters vertikal and 100 meters horisontal from our liftoff point.
2018-1-17
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ironically, the altitude from liftoff point is probably a rational way to establish an altitude reference point. The difficulty in actually measuring AGL precisely is the reason MSL is the main reference we use for altitude in manned aviation. Where I live, for example, all your altimeter readings are relative to a reading on the altimeter relative to 6300 feet .

I do agree, though, that 400' from takeoff point is a silly way to enforce 400' AGL (due to rising or lowering terrain of course). But apart from truly accurate ground-reading radar, there's probably no other way to put a limit on it (if you're so inclined to do such a thing as DJI is).
If there were an adjustable MSL altitude reading in the telemetry, though, then you could do it precisely. But a proper altimeter might be too bulky and/or expensive at the moment...
2018-1-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-17 09:34
Got it... I was wrong - thank you all for good info.
Where I live we can not fly more than 100 meters vertikal and 100 meters horisontal from our liftoff point.

And the "100m horizontal from liftoff point" portion of that really kills it for you.  If that's all it says, you are stuck staying within that immediate area.  Hardly worth flying when restricted to a 300 foot circle.
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules