Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark: a list of improvements & bug fixes that must be made
3124 32 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Spark is a great smaller drone. It meets my expectations as I was 100% aware of its strengths and setbacks going into it. For me, its something low profile to throw up in the air and capture something quick, as opposed to setting up the Mavic, launching out of sight from people, etc.
Alas, there are some very obvious improvements and oversights that should and (seemingly) can be fixed through software updates.
I am going to update this list with what everyone posts so all the requests/problems are in one post. Hopefully DJI listens!

1. There must be a gesture to start recording video. I don't think it should automatically record video upon palm launch like I've seen some people say, but that would also be better than nothing. One could also argue it would make sense for the Spark to automatically start recording once Active Track is enabled.

2. Gimbal speed adjustments & Drone movement speed adjustements - not sure why this isn't already there like it is with the Mavic.

3. Color profiles - I imagine a lot of Spark owners are Phantom / Mavic owners and would really like this feature to be able to match the profiles with their other drone footage.

4. When battery goes low in gesture mod it lands where it is as opposed to returning to home. Although fine in most circumstances, this could definitely be an issue near water, on a balcony, on a boat, etc. especially considering how ths isn't clear to first time users.

5. Dronie mode should raise in height, currently only goes backwards.

6. Gesture selfie shots don't save to SD card or phone. How is this oversight possible!

7. Seems like the Quickshot modes currently are all broken and do not work as intended across the board.

Any other ideas?

2017-6-18
Use props
Reinaldonormand
lvl.1

United States

When battery goes low in gesture mode , it should return to launch point instead of descending where it is. I have just lost mine today. It landed in the water (I was in a pier).
2017-6-18
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Reinaldonormand Posted at 2017-6-18 18:29
When battery goes low in gesture mode , it should return to launch point instead of descending where it is. I have just lost mine today. It landed in the water (I was in a pier).

This seems incredibly obvious.  Can't believe it does that.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansfa5741ad
Germany

Spotlight Activ Track Mode for static object. In this mode fix the camera one point and you can flight the aircraft up and Dow and left and right.
2017-6-18
Use props
Scott7161
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Very good list of observations and recommended improvements!
2017-6-18
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

5. An option to alter the angle of climb would be good for dronie mode!
2017-6-19
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

6. Really? I took several selfies, all went to the card.
2017-6-19
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oops I should have clarified on the list, did you take them with gestures? I believe that's what's not working for people (me included)
2017-6-19
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

#4 descends where it is because gesture mode is also" follow me". If you walk 100 ft and it returns to launch, you may lose it. Since it only goes 10ft from you in gesture mode, I guess DJI thought it was close enough to catch, forgetting about over water selfies.

Perhaps an update to "auto beckon" (return to pilot) then land would be best.
2017-6-19
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

Id like to be able to adjust the rates for the controller so i can slow down yaw for better filming.
2017-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Panda, most of your suggestions are pretty good some are not the way you said they are selfie does record to card and dronie goes backwards an raises up at least it does for me.

Regarding number 1, I'm really not sure what the fuss or the point about this is. Ok so you want the aircraft to record on command so in other words you want it to record YOU walking around or running dancing etc, so in order to do this you would find it a lot easier to jump up and down waving to start recording , a much simpler way of recording is just to hit record button on your phone. Also remember the aircraft must be looking at you in order for you to get it started, maybe you need to explain how this would be a better solution than just pressing record button,
2017-6-19
Use props
Riggz
lvl.1
Canada

when i do gesture control...it saves for me?
2017-6-19
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-19 11:02
Hey Panda, most of your suggestions are pretty good some are not the way you said they are selfie does record to card and dronie goes backwards an raises up at least it does for me.

Regarding number 1, I'm really not sure what the fuss or the point about this is. Ok so you want the aircraft to record on command so in other words you want it to record YOU walking around or running dancing etc, so in order to do this you would find it a lot easier to jump up and down waving to start recording , a much simpler way of recording is just to hit record button on your phone. Also remember the aircraft must be looking at you in order for you to get it started, maybe you need to explain how this would be a better solution than just pressing record button,

There are many people reporting on this messageboard both the gesture selfie save issue, as well as the dronie not raising issue, the issues definitely exist for a lot of people.

Here are some threads about these issues:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-100894-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-100855-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-100500-1-1.html

Recording issue - I am fine with hitting record on my phone, it just seems like an obvious thing to add, as I think a lot of people would take advantage of just throwing the drone up and taking a quick video dronie shot without having to use a phone.
2017-6-19
Use props
Timothy.martin8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4081 ft
United Kingdom

SpicyLobster Posted at 2017-6-19 10:59
Id like to be able to adjust the rates for the controller so i can slow down yaw for better filming.

Yes me too!!
2017-6-19
Use props
Timothy.martin8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4081 ft
United Kingdom

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-6-19 11:27
There are many people reporting on this messageboard both the gesture selfie save issue, as well as the dronie not raising issue, the issues definitely exist for a lot of people.

Here are some threads about these issus:

I have the remote control, and if i want a quick flight without having to set up i can use palm launch... apart from it doesnt save the selfies in this way.

So it is not easy for me to pair my phone to the spark, breaking the link between spark and remote controller, and hit record on the phone.

The whole purpose is it should be quick and save images straight from the hand with no phone/remote.
2017-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here are some threads about these issus:

Your header was list of improvements, maybe it should have been worded differently, selfie and dronie while not working for some are for others so these would not be improvements but rather bug fixes.

Also if you throw your drone up in the air and run around you most likely will not have a clue what your filming.
2017-6-19
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-19 11:55
Your header was list of improvements, maybe it should have been worded differently, selfie and dronie while not working for some are for others so these would not be improvements but rather bug fixes.

Also if you throw your drone up in the air and run around you most likely will not have a clue what your filming.

Changed the title.

Onematt - valid point, going to edit that on the list.
2017-6-19
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-6-19 10:44
Oops I should have clarified on the list, did you take them with gestures? I believe that's what's not working for people (me included)

Yes gesture mode.
2017-6-19
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here are some threads about these issues:

For selfies you have to send it away first don't you?
2017-6-19
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 66286 ft
Australia

Have to agree with you on some of these.
  • Adjust rates per channel and save them as presets.
  • Good to know that in gesture mode it just lands, I didnt know! But as people have pointed out, its in follow mode so you might you walked/bike ride 1km. Good as is I think.
  • Helix seems out of control. Not even going to use this one... Needs to be more refined.
  • Australia needs to be taken off the "CE" list. It has an entirely different regulation around this which allows higher power! (Just not FCC power levels)

2017-6-19
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Something I have found is that, I want to shoot photos in 16/9 mode, this is the only aspect ratio I use to shoot pictures. Also DJI should include a USB cable to plus your phone into the controller, the signal strengths is so much better when you plug it into the controller.
I Just putchased this... http://amzn.to/2tlAfhz

It will allow me to plug the iPhone into the controller easily, I tested the connection with the short Mavic controller cable and the transmission is greatly improved, would like to see DJI add support for using this USB Port to connect the Spark to the controller.

Another thing is I love the panorama mode, however it does not creat a panorama that is saved to the memory card ? It looks great in the DJI Editor, however how do i get it to my computer since on the memory card is just 6 photos the drone took to make the pano ? Where does the pano save to, ?
2017-6-19
Use props
CDSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307064 ft
United States

This isn't a suggestion rather a question.  When the drone is in low battery mode and landing on its on its own is there not a way to and it on my hand?  Often times It is landing in a bad stop and and goodness I have it connected to the controller and I can hurry and fly it to a safe spot. Any ideas?  And if not then maybe we add it to your list. (its kind of there already, but I would like the ability to palm land as well)
2017-6-19
Use props
marcloig
lvl.1
Spain

6. Gesture selfie shots don't save to SD card or phone. How is this oversight possible!
2017-6-21
Use props
marcloig
lvl.1
Spain

No way! So where does it save the selfie shot??
2017-6-21
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

I read somewhere that gesture selfies are 1080 only. This should be remedied to take full-res photos.

Also, +10 to making the USB to RC connection official. Nice to have the WiFi option, but that does add interference.
2017-6-21
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

marcloig Posted at 2017-6-21 10:02

It doesn't save at all. Unsure if this is across the board or only for some people, but mine definitely do not save, and I didn't even realize until I saw multiple other people point it out.
2017-6-21
Use props
marcloig
lvl.1
Spain

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-6-21 10:39
It doesn't save at all. Unsure if this is across the board or only for some people, but mine definitely do not save, and I didn't even realize until I saw multiple other people point it out.

so.. u do the selfie for nothing???

there must be somewhere to save it
2017-6-21
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please fix the WIFI video latency issue! Turning off the Bluetooth is NOT a fix.
2017-6-21
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hey man, for point 5, actually the dronie is pre-programmed to backwards and up. If your Spark not going up there must be some issue.
And 7 about quickshot broken, we have a thread talking about this: http://forum.dji.com/thread-100894-1-2.html
I have successfully get the attention from DJI. For now, in order for them to do something about it, they need to analyze your flight data. The more data they get, the faster they can fix the quickshots issues.
So please extract the flight data by connect Spark with PC through DJI Assistant 2, and send to them for your quickshots flight.
2017-6-21
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-6-21 17:42
Hey man, for point 5, actually the dronie is pre-programmed to backwards and up. If your Spark not going up there must be some issue.
And 7 about quickshot broken, we have a thread talking about this: http://forum.dji.com/thread-100894-1-2.html
I have successfully get the attention from DJI. For now, in order for them to do something about it, they need to analyze your flight data. The more data they get, the faster they can fix the quickshots issues.

The dronie not rising issue has been reported by many people, on this very messageboard. I linked to multiple threads above, one of them being the same thread you just linked me to.
2017-6-21
Use props
bcharleson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 521811 ft
  • >>>
United States

All very good and valid points. The one I am most interested in fixing/improving is the video recording in gesture mode. The “Away and Follow” serves no purpose for a drone to “follow” you and not record.
2017-6-21
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Completely agreed. Someone from DJI acknowledged/implied in one post or another on here that they were working on it.

Although I do hope the stuff that is advertised as features is fixed first, I hope gesture record is also a priority.
2017-6-21
Use props
Raz Taz
Second Officer

China

Color profiles is what i want soon. Is a must.
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules